By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: The Future Will Not About Hardware Platform (PC/COnsole/handled/Mobile ) but Ecosystem (service/software)

Tagged games:

What do you think

I am still not onboard with this future 13 50.00%

Am I dreaming 2 7.69%

Are we ended up on weird reality 0 0%

I don't know how to accept this reality 3 11.54%

I don't want to change, i... 2 7.69%

I will quit gaming 6 23.08%

Total:26

When everything goes digital gaming, its time to stop. Enough GAMES from snes to ps5/6 for a lifetime.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
vivster said:
It would already be that way if 3 certain gamestores wouldn't force you to use very specific outdated hardware.

So no. I doubt we will have the choice centric utopia anytime soon.

Wow people still believe this? 

Owke then.

3 usa gamestores rule over the gaming world.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

"Opinion: The Future Will Not About Hardware Platform (PC/COnsole/handled/Mobile ) but Ecosystem (service/software)"

You can scale games.... but there are limits.
A game made for a mobile phone, wont be able to be scaled up enough, to be a impressive PC/Console title.

Theres drawbacks to this route, while it might allow for more profits for software companys to port things across as many devices as possible.
It comes at the cost of the game itself, its quality, and what it can showcase.

Im not sure as a consumer thats a good thing for us.

Yes, the cloud gaming future is coming and it will be services competing rather than hardware platforms. The question is how long that will take.

HollyGamer said:

Every games will be available on every platform through the Cloud on every , PC, console, handled. Digital games also sold slightly more than physical media. This also translate how many people already change their mind and perspective to digitize their library. 

Service like GamePass, PSNow, Steam, Epic Store will be the foundation of the future. 

So far game streaming isnt doing anything better than just haveing hardware in hand.

"you can stream it to mobile"

No you cant! stop this bullsh*t, data caps on mobile phones are tiny.
Useing 7-8 GB in 1hour to game, on a mobile phone isnt viable.

Most people buy small data plans for phones, where they have like 40gb-100gb.
If that means your entire months data usage, can be gone in 5hours (game streaming), its not viable for phones (unless companys magically start giveing us like x1000 data caps, out of the goodness of their own hearts, for the same prices).

*** This is why people buy expensive phones, to game on. Its also why the Nintendo Switch is still viable. Game Streaming just doesnt work atm, with data caps.

And on PC / Console, its not able to match up to owning hardware in terms of input delay (responsiveness), lag (suttering), image quality ect.
Its a lesser experiance, than haveing actual hardware.

When was something less good, ever a better choice? and the future of things?

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Yes, the cloud gaming future is coming and it will be services competing rather than hardware platforms. The question is how long that will take.

It makes sense for mobile phones, if Phone Companies are willing to give you about 1,000x more data cap size than they currently do with data plans.
For the same prices as the current ones.

Basically Phone Companys are the ones that decide if this "game streaming" thing has a future or not.

On PC + Consoles, it will never make sense.
Its always gonna be a lesser experiance.

I'm gonna love that digital-only future where game prices are extortion, I am forced to pay per month for insanely high speed internet, and then pay again for multiple monthly "subscriptions". Oh, and everything but Nintendo will be a quarter of a game, with DLC, and MTX thrown in, because consumers can no longer just sell their used physical copy at a game store if they don't like their game.

PotentHerbs said:
I still think we have a gen or two left of the traditional hardware cycle.

Sony just cut it down to a single gen. Probably five years from now at this rate.

This doesn't seem to apply to VR. OK maybe on PC multiple view systems could be compatible enough, but unique control systems are another story.

Digital distribution =/= Game subscriptions =/= Cloud gaming

DD has been around for 20years.
Still remains to be seen whether game subs have a negative effect on sales (MS says they don't).
Streaming games isn't going to take off not because of data caps but because of lag.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Leynos said:
HollyGamer said:

Or you can still play modern games without collecting the physical media. It's cheaper and the games will still belonging to you. Modern infrastructure will make you able to sell your digital games, share your games and lend your games.  I bet physical will still exist but it will be expensives. 

Not ownership. Digital is a rental.

Not necessarily

Any buy from GOG for instance is certainly yours. You can download the game, copy it on a disc/usb stick/SD card/whatever, give it to a friend, and he'll play it without even needing an internet connection, as the games don't even "phone home" (unless it's an online game, of course). Humble Bundle and itch.io both also support direct downloads for many (non AAA-)titles, the former even through torrent. Those also behave like the GOG games I mentioned earlier.

However on consoles, it's a bit more complicated. Backwards compatibility is coming, but nothing ensures that this will always be the case - or that games are not getting deleted from servers or even the consoles themselves in extreme cases. Possibly also one of the many reasons why Digital distribution took much longer to spread on consoles compared to PC.