By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: The Future Will Not About Hardware Platform (PC/COnsole/handled/Mobile ) but Ecosystem (service/software)

Tagged games:

What do you think

I am still not onboard with this future 13 50.00%

Am I dreaming 2 7.69%

Are we ended up on weird reality 0 0%

I don't know how to accept this reality 3 11.54%

I don't want to change, i... 2 7.69%

I will quit gaming 6 23.08%

Total:26

Some have been saying this for years. It’s only the logical and natural progression of technology and the market. Nice to see Sony’s now on board.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
HollyGamer said:

Every games will be available on every platform through the Cloud on every , PC, console, handled. Digital games also sold slightly more than physical media. This also translate how many people already change their mind and perspective to digitize their library. 

Service like GamePass, PSNow, Steam, Epic Store will be the foundation of the future. 

So far game streaming isnt doing anything better than just haveing hardware in hand.

"you can stream it to mobile"

No you cant! stop this bullsh*t, data caps on mobile phones are tiny.
Useing 7-8 GB in 1hour to game, on a mobile phone isnt viable.

Most people buy small data plans for phones, where they have like 40gb-100gb.
If that means your entire months data usage, can be gone in 5hours (game streaming), its not viable for phones (unless companys magically start giveing us like x1000 data caps, out of the goodness of their own hearts, for the same prices).

*** This is why people buy expensive phones, to game on. Its also why the Nintendo Switch is still viable. Game Streaming just doesnt work atm, with data caps.

I am sorry but their are already a bunch of countries with unlimited data caps for mobile in fact 29 countries of the 41 OECD countries have unlimited data.  

I don't like subscriptions. I don't mind buying multiple consoles but refuse to get multiple content subscriptions. So good luck with that. It's a shame, the expanse is my favorite sci-fi show but it's now exclusive to Amazon prime and I already have Netflix. Not going to cave. Game pass looks good but I already have ps+ for GT Sport, so too bad, don't have time for all that anyway. Also not willing to have a live gold subscription next to a ps+ subscription has played a role in not getting the xbox this gen.

konnichiwa said:
JRPGfan said:

So far game streaming isnt doing anything better than just haveing hardware in hand.

"you can stream it to mobile"

No you cant! stop this bullsh*t, data caps on mobile phones are tiny.
Useing 7-8 GB in 1hour to game, on a mobile phone isnt viable.

Most people buy small data plans for phones, where they have like 40gb-100gb.
If that means your entire months data usage, can be gone in 5hours (game streaming), its not viable for phones (unless companys magically start giveing us like x1000 data caps, out of the goodness of their own hearts, for the same prices).

*** This is why people buy expensive phones, to game on. Its also why the Nintendo Switch is still viable. Game Streaming just doesnt work atm, with data caps.

I am sorry but their are already a bunch of countries with unlimited data caps for mobile in fact 29 countries of the 41 OECD countries have unlimited data.  

At a price! If you're willing to pay ~50€ a month just to be able to stream games on top of what the games cost - and you still end up with a worse experience, just look at Stadia and how that went down.

Also, unlimited data doesn't mean unlimited bandwidth. For a 1080p like experience, you should already have something like 10Mbit/s, for 4k, 50Mbit/s. Most antennas would be overwhelmed if there's more than a couple users who game like that (just measure your internet speed in Metro Manila for instance, you'd be happy if you reach double digits on LTE - and they only play LoL and the like).

As long as Nintendo makes hardware (console, Handheld, or hybrid) they will have exclusive games on it that you cannot legally play anywhere else.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

If this future goes the game pass way I'm fully on board, but if it's the Stadia way I'll think about significantly lowering the amount I game.

xl-klaudkil said:
vivster said:
It would already be that way if 3 certain gamestores wouldn't force you to use very specific outdated hardware.

So no. I doubt we will have the choice centric utopia anytime soon.

Wow people still believe this? 

Owke then.

3 usa gamestores rule over the gaming world.

I'm talking of course about digital gamestores. And there are currently only 3 on this planet who force their customers to buy specific hardware for software that was coded with general purpose development tools.

Yes, not even gamestop is asshole enough to force specific hardware onto their customers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'm gonna love that digital-only future where game prices are extortion, I am forced to pay per month for insanely high speed internet, and then pay again for multiple monthly "subscriptions". Oh, and everything but Nintendo will be a quarter of a game, with DLC, and MTX thrown in, because consumers can no longer just sell their used physical copy at a game store if they don't like their game.

PotentHerbs said:
I still think we have a gen or two left of the traditional hardware cycle.

Sony just cut it down to a single gen. Probably five years from now at this rate.

I doubt SIE titles will be day and date releases on PC since Sony is trying to sell hardware. In a recent interview, Jim Ryan stated the importance of having exclusives for the PS5, while foreshadowing PS4 ports to PC. 

With games like Uncharted 4, GoW, and Horizon making it to PS Now, what's the difference if its ported to PC at the end of the gen? Most of these titles will be permanently added to their subscription service by PS5 launch. They aren't exclusive in the "traditional" sense anymore.

I fucking hate games as a service. If this happens, I'm out.

That's as realistic as Kum bay ya my lord, Kum bay ya.