It's not bad, it's mediocre but fun.
As it is, I'd give it a 6/10.
It does a lot of things right:
- Gym Battles feel better than they ever have, even if they should be harder
- Pokemon variety is there from the get go
- Wild area is a lot of fun for all its flaws
- Music is fantastic
It also falls short in many areas:
- Story is non-existent
- Just as handholdy as S/M
- Hop is incredibly grating from start to finish, though he is improved by not appearing as much after the fourth gym
- Back half of the game has awful pacing (took me 4 hours to the first badge, 12 hours to get to the third, but I beat the league in only 20 hours total despite not rushing at all and going to the Wild Area a lot)
- Post-game is atrociously bad (an hour of content, that's it.)
- The game as a whole is way too easy (gym leaders should have teams of 6 with no exceptions, rivals should have teams of 6 by the third town, trainers should have more than one Pokemon on routes etc.) I appreciated the notable increase in AI strategy at points, but they should be given the tools to actually put up a fight.
- Raids are a great idea done pretty poorly (way too hard to connect to people, the AI trainers are atrocious as well)
- Routes are very badly designed linear corridors that feel incredibly outdated compared to not only the Wild Area, but also to past games.
- Dexit kills a lot of the post-postgame fun, making collecting and breeding a lot less fun to me.
- Animations are poor, most haven't changed since the 3DS.
- The Pokemon models are alright, but the textures need to be updated, they lack much of the character they had in the earlier games (this is an issue that the 3DS games had too)
As it is, I'd recommend it if you love Pokemon or are interested in getting into the series (stay far away from Let's Go), but it's disappointing to old fans.
The DLC seems like it will be fixing at least a couple of issues, I'm hopeful that the story content will be worthwhile too. The fact that it's being lead by a new director makes me happy.
Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 11 January 2020