Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Be Honest With Me: How Bad is Sword & Shield?

What would you rate Sword & Shield?

1 5 7.46%

2 0 0.00%

3 1 1.49%

4 3 4.48%

5 6 8.96%

6 8 11.94%

7 10 14.93%

8 25 37.31%

9 6 8.96%

10 3 4.48%

Total:67
Lonely_Dolphin said:
garretslarrity said:

Well that may be true if they had announced a third version, but given that the question here is whether to buy S&S, the DLC is still the better option. Also I would rather them (and everyone, for that matter) do what is good for all as opposed to what is good for me.

Not sure I follow, a third version would still be a version of Sw/Sh, and are you saying you base your purchase decisions on the happiness of others? I'm just trying to understand how doing DLC in place of a third version is such an achievement that could change one's mind on the game.

Okay then let me rephrase it this way: Imagine that there was no Pokemon Direct, and I was still considering buying S&S today. I may hesitate to do so thinking that there may be a third version on the way, whereas with the announcement of DLC I now know there won't be.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

I give it an 8/10, but consider a 7/10 reasonable as well. Had a blast with it, and thats all I can say.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

To me it's the worse Pokémon ever. It lacks and/or does bad everything that makes a Pokémon adventure. Plus, all the controversies about the Pokédex, the animations and all that jazz.

5/10 to me. I don't rate it 4/10 because the basic combat and catching mechanics are correct and work as well as they always did.

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

By what metric are you getting your info? These games sell and continue to sell amazingly well, they make the company a lot of money, they regularly get good to great reviews, and the world keeps on spinning. If people didn't like what they are doing with the Pokemon series, they wouldn't keep buying them. It's just that simple, really. 

I never had a problem with third versions, and I think DLC is a far superior option in every way. Everyone wins. 

Okay, Runa. Bring up a point I never made in the first place, then solve the argument yourself. Everyone wins.

You are profoundly disingenuous.

It's not bad, it's mediocre but fun.

As it is, I'd give it a 6/10.

It does a lot of things right:

• Gym Battles feel better than they ever have, even if they should be harder
  • Pokemon variety is there from the get go
  • Wild area is a lot of fun for all its flaws
  • Music is fantastic

It also falls short in many areas:

• Story is non-existent
  • Just as handholdy as S/M
  • Hop is incredibly grating from start to finish, though he is improved by not appearing as much after the fourth gym
  • Back half of the game has awful pacing (took me 4 hours to the first badge, 12 hours to get to the third, but I beat the league in only 20 hours total despite not rushing at all and going to the Wild Area a lot)
  • Post-game is atrociously bad (an hour of content, that's it.)
  • The game as a whole is way too easy (gym leaders should have teams of 6 with no exceptions, rivals should have teams of 6 by the third town, trainers should have more than one Pokemon on routes etc.) I appreciated the notable increase in AI strategy at points, but they should be given the tools to actually put up a fight.
  • Raids are a great idea done pretty poorly (way too hard to connect to people, the AI trainers are atrocious as well)
  • Routes are very badly designed linear corridors that feel incredibly outdated compared to not only the Wild Area, but also to past games.
  • Dexit kills a lot of the post-postgame fun, making collecting and breeding a lot less fun to me.
  • Animations are poor, most haven't changed since the 3DS.
  • The Pokemon models are alright, but the textures need to be updated, they lack much of the character they had in the earlier games (this is an issue that the 3DS games had too)

As it is, I'd recommend it if you love Pokemon or are interested in getting into the series (stay far away from Let's Go), but it's disappointing to old fans.

The DLC seems like it will be fixing at least a couple of issues, I'm hopeful that the story content will be worthwhile too. The fact that it's being lead by a new director makes me happy.

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 11 January 2020

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
I think it's funny how people are spinning this whole DLC situation into a "it's better than having a third version" thing, when A. third versions should've never existed in the first place, and B. you're paying $90 for the full game and DLC, compared to $80 you used to pay for the base game and third version.

I do agree DLC is a better solution for the problem, but the right solution would be for these to not exist at all.

Why isn't the best option for it to exist, and for people who feel it's worth their money to buy it, and those who don't think it's worth it not to buy it?  I stopped buying third versions after Yellow, but I don't feel my experience was ever diminished by their existence.

garretslarrity said:
StarDoor said:
Can you tell us what you thought about each of the previous generations?

1: Pretty bad but who can complain?

2. Loved it! Such a big improvement!

3: Great! 

4: Good. Only played Pearl, though.

5: My favorite! Great story, and the sequels are my favorite main series game.

6: Like them! X and Y had so much charm and I thought ORAS were great remakes!

7: This is where things start to peter out with me. I thought Sun and Moon were just okay at best, and then I absolutely hated Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for being the exact same game. I forgot to mention this in the OP, but USUM were part of the reason I had a bad taste for Pokemon, and the abandonment of the the third version makes that better.

Edit: Also Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness are the unquestionably best games in the series.

You have great taste. That we haven't had another Orre game is a travesty. Colo/XD are easily the best turn-based RPGs in the whole series.

My own rankings look very similar (Gens 3 and 5 are very close - I'd put 3 marginally higher). I'd say go for Sword/Shield, they're still fun and the DLC should hopefully fix the issues I have with them.

garretslarrity said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Not sure I follow, a third version would still be a version of Sw/Sh, and are you saying you base your purchase decisions on the happiness of others? I'm just trying to understand how doing DLC in place of a third version is such an achievement that could change one's mind on the game.

Okay then let me rephrase it this way: Imagine that there was no Pokemon Direct, and I was still considering buying S&S today. I may hesitate to do so thinking that there may be a third version on the way, whereas with the announcement of DLC I now know there won't be.

So you're just happy you don't have to wait to buy the best version of the game, fair enough!

More on topic, the best bet is to do your own research and decide for yourself if you'd like the game. Just because a game is bad doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it, and likewise a good game you could still find unfun.

The main game is better than the general opinion. Best story in a mainline Pokémon so far, imo. Online features make a lot of fun.

The DLC seems to be pretty fair, since you don't have to buy the game twice and you get 50 % more Pokémon coming from the main game, plus more story. The missing Pokémon are not such a big deal imo. I'm fine with having less Pokémon and therefore lovely animations during fights and camping.

siebensus4 said:
I'm fine with having less Pokémon and therefore lovely animations during fights and camping.

What did you think of the Pokemon animations during battles and amie in the 3DS games?