By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Direct announced for January 9th 2020

I have one thing to say after reading this thread:

LOUD NOISES!!!

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
I think they could make every pokemon on game ealisy, if wasnt things like pokecamp.
They have to program and model the interactions and animations for each pokemon in the game. Thats why they couldnt bring all of them by the SS release date.

There is no excuse to not have all the pokemon. They are reusing all 3d models and animations since 2013. Pokecamp animations are the same as pokemon ammie.

I was pissed that returning Pokemon were held behind a paywall, then glad when it said you'll be able to transfer them from your old games with Pokemon Bank, then pissed again when it said you'd need Pokemon Home as a middleman. That's two separate paid subscription services to transfer your own Pokemon! Ridiculous!

Tried the Mystery Dungeon demo and it's Mystery Dungeon alright, gameplay is good and repetitive as expected. Unfortunately it does indeed look like only Pokemon up to Gen 3 are in this game. The mechanics have otherwise been updated to even include Fairy-type so being a strictly faithful remake is not an excuse here. Still the game should be fun otherwise so it'll be on my list of games to check out when on sale. At the very least it's made me wanna go back and finish Explorer's of Sky.

aris4me said:
I don't understand the complaints really! Far better than having third version! Great dlc, great addition! Cant wait!!

Do you genuinely not understand or is it that you don't want or care to understand? I'll assume the former of course, but it has been the latter more often than not when I hear people say this.

As pointed out, whether this is better than traditional third versions is relative based on whether or not you buy the initial versions. However, even if it was universally superior, that doesn't mean anything when it still sucks.

The main issue is that unlike previous Pokemon games that were at least up to standard, Sw/Sh is severely lacking in every regard. It's scummy to have your players pay additional cost to fix the game, especially so for content that used to be part of the base game. Meanwhile, Wargoove and Slay the Spire are about to release free updates for literally no reason other than because they're awesome.

In fact, I think third versions are much, MUCH better than the DLC Game Freak is offering us. Even if you already played the original games.

First of, it's been 12 years since we got a third version (Pokémon Platinum). Black and White had a sequel (it's a big difference), XY had nothing and Sun and Moon got... a copy paste? Honestly, I wouldn't put US/UM on the same boat as Emerald, Platinum or even Crystal (which is the less beefy game). US/UM is the obvious bad exception.
So this whole "Finally we got rid off third versions" is nonsense. It's been three full generations (four if we count Sword and Shield) without them.

Second, people have seemingly forgot what kind of games Emerald and Platinum were compared to R/S and D/P. Yes, they are based on those games. Yes, they are very similar. But the amount of changes in every department, additions and improvements were huge. So much I would legitimately call them new games. I played Ruby back in the day, then years later I played Emerald. And I never thought: "Whoah, it's just the same... boring". No, I enjoyed it for what it was: a new game in which I spent hundreds of hours on top of what I spent on the original Ruby.

What do we get with this DLC? We don't get major changes to the core games. They are not gonna fix the broken Dynamax. They are not going to fix the lack of dungeons on the main story. They are not gonna fix the framerate issues and poppin of the wild area. The game will remain the same, with all its flaws.

What we get is... what, two or three hours more of gameplay for each part of the DLC? Then what? Gotta catch em all again? Go back to the competitive? Give me a break. I don't want to pay 30 dolars just to play Pokémon a little longer and be able to catch more Pokémon.

If I can choose, I want a third version. Not a DLC.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
In fact, I think third versions are much, MUCH better than the DLC Game Freak is offering us. Even if you already played the original games...

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there. You are wrong. Just wrong. 100%, provably, unequivocally wrong. In no way is it better except your desire to have more boxes on your shelf. 

These are Cheaper than getting new games and Have more Content than getting new games. You can still get the content even without buying the DLC, you don't HAVE to start over again if you don't want to, etc 

Tell me one way that getting a new identical game with a few tweaks and a handful of new mons for the price of a brand new game is better than paying a little over half the price of a new game and getting whole new areas, all new story content, new mons, and returning mons that they couldn't add to the base game due to time constraints? 

I know that the general consensus is that your opinion can't be wrong, but it is. If an opinion is formed off bad information or purposely misconstrued, it can be wrong. I'd love to hear what you genuinely think is 'better' about paying full price for less content vs paying considerably less for more. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Vodacixi said:
In fact, I think third versions are much, MUCH better than the DLC Game Freak is offering us. Even if you already played the original games.

First of, it's been 12 years since we got a third version (Pokémon Platinum). Black and White had a sequel (it's a big difference), XY had nothing and Sun and Moon got... a copy paste? Honestly, I wouldn't put US/UM on the same boat as Emerald, Platinum or even Crystal (which is the less beefy game). US/UM is the obvious bad exception.
So this whole "Finally we got rid off third versions" is nonsense. It's been three full generations (four if we count Sword and Shield) without them.

Second, people have seemingly forgot what kind of games Emerald and Platinum were compared to R/S and D/P. Yes, they are based on those games. Yes, they are very similar. But the amount of changes in every department, additions and improvements were huge. So much I would legitimately call them new games. I played Ruby back in the day, then years later I played Emerald. And I never thought: "Whoah, it's just the same... boring". No, I enjoyed it for what it was: a new game in which I spent hundreds of hours on top of what I spent on the original Ruby.

What do we get with this DLC? We don't get major changes to the core games. They are not gonna fix the broken Dynamax. They are not going to fix the lack of dungeons on the main story. They are not gonna fix the framerate issues and poppin of the wild area. The game will remain the same, with all its flaws.

What we get is... what, two or three hours more of gameplay for each part of the DLC? Then what? Gotta catch em all again? Go back to the competitive? Give me a break. I don't want to pay 30 dolars just to play Pokémon a little longer and be able to catch more Pokémon.

If I can choose, I want a third version. Not a DLC.

I have to call you out on this because you champion a third version with assumptions on the DLC that can't be backed as well as some double standard arguments, for one you admit some of the third versions are largely the same with tweaks in place yet go off at the base game of Sw/Sh as if adding content doesn't count, how many hours would those tweaks have added to the said third versions had they been dlc considering you paid more for them than what the DLC is? Where did you also get 2 hours from link?

Hiku said:

What I liked about the "third versions" is that I felt I could skip the originals and just buy one game that had the best value.
I only played Yellow, and not Blue/Re/Green. Only Crystal. Only Emerald.

This expansion lets you continue your save file though, so that's something new I could see myself enjoying.
What I don't like though is how the expansion isn't universal for both versions, but follows the trend of the original Sword & Shield in having substantial content differences, enticing players to double, or in this case, quadruple dip, if there are rivals/trainers etc, in different versions that they like.

The differences between the base versions in the older games were essentially just different pokemon you could catch. But you could just trade for those pokemon.
On that note, it's good to see they're adding some previously cut Pokemon that everyone can trade for.

ORAS had different story variations so the differences here are nothing new.

Hiku said:
Wyrdness said:

ORAS had different story variations so the differences here are nothing new.

Those are not the older games I'm referring to. Though I'm not familiar with how OR and AS differed, but if it's similar to Sword and Shield, then that's not a direction I like for Pokemon.

Regardless what games you're referring to the point is what Sw/Sh does was already in place beforehand ORAS has a different variation of the story in each game with the player battling against different teams look up the team leaders in the games they're different characters, people didn't take any issue with it back then so of course it was going to be used in future.

Runa216 said:
Vodacixi said:
In fact, I think third versions are much, MUCH better than the DLC Game Freak is offering us. Even if you already played the original games...

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there. You are wrong. Just wrong. 100%, provably, unequivocally wrong. In no way is it better except your desire to have more boxes on your shelf. 

These are Cheaper than getting new games and Have more Content than getting new games. You can still get the content even without buying the DLC, you don't HAVE to start over again if you don't want to, etc 

Tell me one way that getting a new identical game with a few tweaks and a handful of new mons for the price of a brand new game is better than paying a little over half the price of a new game and getting whole new areas, all new story content, new mons, and returning mons that they couldn't add to the base game due to time constraints? 

I know that the general consensus is that your opinion can't be wrong, but it is. If an opinion is formed off bad information or purposely misconstrued, it can be wrong. I'd love to hear what you genuinely think is 'better' about paying full price for less content vs paying considerably less for more. 

Oh no, I'm not wrong at all. I find very unlikely that the DLC will give us more than a third version. Especially after watching the Direct again. We will be lucky to get a fraction of that. Look:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Emerald_Version#Changes_from_Ruby_and_Sapphire

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Platinum_Version#Changes_from_Pok.C3.A9mon_Diamond_and_Pearl

This is all the changes and all the new content of Pokémon Emerald and Pokémon Platinum. I'll be very clear: I will cut my dick off if the Sword and Shield DLC comes even close to any of those games.

With a third version I get... well, a game. With more and better content. I can play it from start to finish... and beyond, enjoying the new things and changes. With a DLC, I get to play a few hours more. And nothing else. Plus, it will most likely not get all its technical and gameplay problems fixed.

And please, I would like to ask you to be a little more tolerant. I don't think I was being rude to anyone around here to be treated like this.

Thanks.