By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sells through 106 million, Over 1.15 BILLION Games Sold!

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Now I want you to make the projection of how much SW PS will have sold between LoD1 and LoD2.

6.5 Billion then LoD alone will proceed to sell 7 Billion.

Makes sense.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Nu-13 said:

But the switch is already on track to get relatively "close" to ps2 numbers. A switch 2 that gets even better support than the switch (and since launch, not after years) would be the first console in a long time with the potential to beat ps2.

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. Yes the SW is faster to 50M than the PS4, but by just like 3 months or so. The PS4 is going to end up being a 120M-125Mselling console, I really don't see how the switch is going to end up near the PS2 (so that's like 135M+) before the switch 2 comes about, which should happen around 2023/2024.

A lot o external factors led to the PS2 selling as well as it did. A collection of which is likely never to be replicated again. People tend to forget that when the PS2 hit that milestone, we didn't have smartphones and tablets, and both Nintendo and Xbox had consoles that sold around 30M units each or so. Very very very different times.

I think the switch is getting 120-130m, thus the "close". If it manages that with everything stacked against it, it's sucessor has a genuine chance of beating the ps2.



The only thing that could speak against a price reduction for the PS4 is that Sony does not want to jeopardise PS5 sales as a result. If you still have the choice to spend 299 dollars on the PS4 Pro in November 2020, or you could buy the PS5 in return for (presumably) 499 dollars, the decision may be cheaper for the PS5. Unlike the PS3 to the PS4, this year it will be extremely exciting what strategy Sony will drive to market the PS5.



thismeintiel said:
Keiji said:

It's Wii all over again. The Switch is probably going to sell 53M-54M in it's first 3 years on the market, then some expect it to sell another 100M+ in the following 3 years? Ok...

I gave neither a 100m number or 3 year time spam. You wasted a great opportunity of not putting words in people's mouths.

think-man said:
Nu-13 said:

To say no console ever will is wrong. It is a really high bar to cross but not impossible. As it stands, the hypothetical switch 2 has the best chances to do so out of consoles coming in the near future.

There is absolutely zero evidence that a switch 2 could pull PS2 numbers. A switch 2 could pull a DS to 3DS numbers for all we know, given it won't be a new exciting idea I'd speculate that's a more probable outcome. Although there's also zero evidence of that outcome aswell. 

The switch is the evidence. A successor following it's footsteps and getting better support since launch will obviously have more sales potential. Also,"won't be a new and exciting idea"? Why the hell do you think it would need that? Being a portable and home console was greatly accepted by the market and will remain a huge selling point.

yo33331 said:
Panicradio said:
Reaching 100 million units is basically a major milestone for every manufacturer. Even though the Switch will reach the 80-90 million units with ease, all units are a completely different game after that.

There is as much as little evidence that the PS5 could reach 130-150 million units. Let the price drop to 199 dollars, along with bundles with Tsushima, Cyberpunk, FF or TLOU2, and the PS5 could have a much better year than the 10 million units predicted.

Personally, in my opinion, only the PS5 has the most likely chance of trumping the PS2.

You meant PS4 right ? I agree with you. At the worst PS4 will get to 130M. At best I don't know .. 150M isn't out of the question with proper price cuts, marketing and enough price difference from PS5. 199$ vs 499/599$ I think can do the job.

At the current pace the ps4 is declining, 130m isn't even the best it could reach regardless of price cuts and ps5 price (the latter being pretty irrelevant to the outcome anyway). 120m would be a better estimative with a margin for error of a few million.



Nu-13 said:
Intrinsic said:

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. Yes the SW is faster to 50M than the PS4, but by just like 3 months or so. The PS4 is going to end up being a 120M-125Mselling console, I really don't see how the switch is going to end up near the PS2 (so that's like 135M+) before the switch 2 comes about, which should happen around 2023/2024.

A lot o external factors led to the PS2 selling as well as it did. A collection of which is likely never to be replicated again. People tend to forget that when the PS2 hit that milestone, we didn't have smartphones and tablets, and both Nintendo and Xbox had consoles that sold around 30M units each or so. Very very very different times.

I think the switch is getting 120-130m, thus the "close". If it manages that with everything stacked against it, it's sucessor has a genuine chance of beating the ps2.

What is this everything stacked against Switch?

And why do you think Switch 2 would be 20-30% higher sale with the novelty gone?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
thismeintiel said:

It's Wii all over again. The Switch is probably going to sell 53M-54M in it's first 3 years on the market, then some expect it to sell another 100M+ in the following 3 years? Ok...

I gave neither a 100m number or 3 year time spam. You wasted a great opportunity of not putting words in people's mouths.

think-man said:

There is absolutely zero evidence that a switch 2 could pull PS2 numbers. A switch 2 could pull a DS to 3DS numbers for all we know, given it won't be a new exciting idea I'd speculate that's a more probable outcome. Although there's also zero evidence of that outcome aswell. 

The switch is the evidence. A successor following it's footsteps and getting better support since launch will obviously have more sales potential. Also,"won't be a new and exciting idea"? Why the hell do you think it would need that? Being a portable and home console was greatly accepted by the market and will remain a huge selling point.

That is pathetic evidence, you can't take a console and say its successor will be an instant hit based on the current console. The 3DS also followed the steps of the DS' and look how that turned out. 



DonFerrari said:
Nu-13 said:

I think the switch is getting 120-130m, thus the "close". If it manages that with everything stacked against it, it's sucessor has a genuine chance of beating the ps2.

What is this everything stacked against Switch?

And why do you think Switch 2 would be 20-30% higher sale with the novelty gone?

Suceeding the wii u and to this day not having support that should have been there ages ago. You think that doesn't count as having it stacked against the switch? Novelty? I'll pretend I didn't read that.

think-man said:
Nu-13 said:

I gave neither a 100m number or 3 year time spam. You wasted a great opportunity of not putting words in people's mouths.

The switch is the evidence. A successor following it's footsteps and getting better support since launch will obviously have more sales potential. Also,"won't be a new and exciting idea"? Why the hell do you think it would need that? Being a portable and home console was greatly accepted by the market and will remain a huge selling point.

That is pathetic evidence, you can't take a console and say its successor will be an instant hit based on the current console. The 3DS also followed the steps of the DS' and look how that turned out. 

Getting really tired of words being put in my mouth. So let me spell it veeeery clearly: The switch is a huge success both by having a greatly accepted concept of portable + home console hybrid and an amazing game lineup. This lineup consists of huge first party sellers with a decent amount of 3rd party games (certainly more than what their previous consoles have. Now pay a lot of attention: I. NEVER. SAID. THE. SWITCH 2. WILL. BE. AN. INSTANT. HIT.

Let's read it again. "A successor following it's footsteps and getting better support since launch will obviously have more sales POTENTIAL" As in, IF (possibility) Nintendo releases a switch 2 that gets similar first party success and better 3rd party support from day one (instead of years later), it certainly can sell more than the switch and maybe even ps2. That is completely logical and there's nothing pathetic about it.

Lastly, you claimed that the 3ds followed the footsteps of the DS. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The 3ds already started badly by costing $249 when the right price for it was $199 (which would already be moderately higher than the ds $149, but acceptable). And as for software, oh boy. The DS was FLOODED with brand new quality titles of all genres while the 3ds was way inferior in that regard.



Nu-13 said:
Intrinsic said:

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. Yes the SW is faster to 50M than the PS4, but by just like 3 months or so. The PS4 is going to end up being a 120M-125Mselling console, I really don't see how the switch is going to end up near the PS2 (so that's like 135M+) before the switch 2 comes about, which should happen around 2023/2024.

A lot o external factors led to the PS2 selling as well as it did. A collection of which is likely never to be replicated again. People tend to forget that when the PS2 hit that milestone, we didn't have smartphones and tablets, and both Nintendo and Xbox had consoles that sold around 30M units each or so. Very very very different times.

I think the switch is getting 120-130m, thus the "close". If it manages that with everything stacked against it, it's sucessor has a genuine chance of beating the ps2.

I like you, you're funny.




yo33331 said:

You meant PS4 right ? I agree with you. At the worst PS4 will get to 130M. At best I don't know .. 150M isn't out of the question with proper price cuts, marketing and enough price difference from PS5. 199$ vs 499/599$ I think can do the job.

At the current pace the ps4 is declining, 130m isn't even the best it could reach regardless of price cuts and ps5 price (the latter being pretty irrelevant to the outcome anyway). 120m would be a better estimative with a margin for error of a few million.

I can't see PS4 doing 10M this year and only 4M in the next couple of years and die. Out of the question.

As I said in one of my previous posts, PS4 is doing 6 years on the market exactly as PS2 did them ( in terms of sales ) and all of a sudden now it will make the worst 3-4 dying years that ever sony console have done in its dying years ? How is this making sence ? I know there would be PS5 and they may not drop the price and etc. Always there can be some reasons for weak sales but this is just out of possibility. It can at worst worst case (with no marketing and no price cuts and 399$ PS5) to reach 125M, but you are even doubting 120M ? Ridiculous.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 09 January 2020

Fantastic tracking by the sales team