By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sells through 106 million, Over 1.15 BILLION Games Sold!

Keiji said:
Nu-13 said:

But the switch is already on track to get relatively "close" to ps2 numbers. A switch 2 that gets even better support than the switch (and since launch, not after years) would be the first console in a long time with the potential to beat ps2.

It's Wii all over again. The Switch is probably going to sell 53M-54M in it's first 3 years on the market, then some expect it to sell another 100M+ in the following 3 years? Ok...

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
CuCabeludo said:

No console will sell more than PS2. The PS2 sold so well due to the large number of third party exclusive games it had. If you wanted to play a game, even a third party game, you had no other option but PS2. Now third party exclusivity is very rare, when it happens it is timed exclusivity (usually 1 year). Also it was the cheapest dvd player on the market. But now streaming is becoming more popular than buying movies in Blu-ray.

To say no console ever will is wrong. It is a really high bar to cross but not impossible. As it stands, the hypothetical switch 2 has the best chances to do so out of consoles coming in the near future.

There is absolutely zero evidence that a switch 2 could pull PS2 numbers. A switch 2 could pull a DS to 3DS numbers for all we know, given it won't be a new exciting idea I'd speculate that's a more probable outcome. Although there's also zero evidence of that outcome aswell. 

Farsala said:
My prediction for PS4 remains unchanged from past sales threads with a range of 115m-120m. This prediction includes the assumption of no price cuts from Sony, as I don't expect it this late.

At $299 in 2020, sales will drop hard to below 10m like ZhugeEx says. 9m until PS5 launch would put it at 115m, and at $299 in 2021 next to a $399 PS5, less than 5m sales is expected. This is good for a smooth transition into the PS5, but the PS4 sales will suffer.7

Your "predictions" are heavily flawed ,ps4 at the end will be around 130mill, no way ps5 will launch at 399, more like 499.

Ps4 will get a pricedrop

Last edited by xl-klaudkil - on 09 January 2020

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Reaching 100 million units is basically a major milestone for every manufacturer. Even though the Switch will reach the 80-90 million units with ease, all units are a completely different game after that.

There is as much as little evidence that the PS4 could reach 130-150 million units. Let the price drop to 199 dollars, along with bundles with Tsushima, Cyberpunk, FF or TLOU2, and the PS5 could have a much better year than the 10 million units predicted.

Personally, in my opinion, only the PS5 has the most likely chance of trumping the PS2.

Last edited by Panicradio - on 09 January 2020

Yes, PS4. 🙂 

Last edited by Panicradio - on 09 January 2020

Around the Network

Wow... 1.15billion games sold? If they just make 5 bucks per game from royalities, that's 5 billion dollars already. Not to mention the extremely profitable monthly subs and hardware where they never made any price reduction.

Sony, time to fork out more money into game development to make PS more stronger!

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Now I want you to make the projection of how much SW PS will have sold between LoD1 and LoD2.

6.5 Billion then LoD alone will proceed to sell 7 Billion.

Makes sense.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
Nu-13 said:

But the switch is already on track to get relatively "close" to ps2 numbers. A switch 2 that gets even better support than the switch (and since launch, not after years) would be the first console in a long time with the potential to beat ps2.

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. Yes the SW is faster to 50M than the PS4, but by just like 3 months or so. The PS4 is going to end up being a 120M-125Mselling console, I really don't see how the switch is going to end up near the PS2 (so that's like 135M+) before the switch 2 comes about, which should happen around 2023/2024.

A lot o external factors led to the PS2 selling as well as it did. A collection of which is likely never to be replicated again. People tend to forget that when the PS2 hit that milestone, we didn't have smartphones and tablets, and both Nintendo and Xbox had consoles that sold around 30M units each or so. Very very very different times.

I think the switch is getting 120-130m, thus the "close". If it manages that with everything stacked against it, it's sucessor has a genuine chance of beating the ps2.

The only thing that could speak against a price reduction for the PS4 is that Sony does not want to jeopardise PS5 sales as a result. If you still have the choice to spend 299 dollars on the PS4 Pro in November 2020, or you could buy the PS5 in return for (presumably) 499 dollars, the decision may be cheaper for the PS5. Unlike the PS3 to the PS4, this year it will be extremely exciting what strategy Sony will drive to market the PS5.

thismeintiel said:
Keiji said:

It's Wii all over again. The Switch is probably going to sell 53M-54M in it's first 3 years on the market, then some expect it to sell another 100M+ in the following 3 years? Ok...

I gave neither a 100m number or 3 year time spam. You wasted a great opportunity of not putting words in people's mouths.

think-man said:
Nu-13 said:

To say no console ever will is wrong. It is a really high bar to cross but not impossible. As it stands, the hypothetical switch 2 has the best chances to do so out of consoles coming in the near future.

There is absolutely zero evidence that a switch 2 could pull PS2 numbers. A switch 2 could pull a DS to 3DS numbers for all we know, given it won't be a new exciting idea I'd speculate that's a more probable outcome. Although there's also zero evidence of that outcome aswell. 

The switch is the evidence. A successor following it's footsteps and getting better support since launch will obviously have more sales potential. Also,"won't be a new and exciting idea"? Why the hell do you think it would need that? Being a portable and home console was greatly accepted by the market and will remain a huge selling point.

yo33331 said:
Panicradio said:
Reaching 100 million units is basically a major milestone for every manufacturer. Even though the Switch will reach the 80-90 million units with ease, all units are a completely different game after that.

There is as much as little evidence that the PS5 could reach 130-150 million units. Let the price drop to 199 dollars, along with bundles with Tsushima, Cyberpunk, FF or TLOU2, and the PS5 could have a much better year than the 10 million units predicted.

Personally, in my opinion, only the PS5 has the most likely chance of trumping the PS2.

You meant PS4 right ? I agree with you. At the worst PS4 will get to 130M. At best I don't know .. 150M isn't out of the question with proper price cuts, marketing and enough price difference from PS5. 199$ vs 499/599$ I think can do the job.

At the current pace the ps4 is declining, 130m isn't even the best it could reach regardless of price cuts and ps5 price (the latter being pretty irrelevant to the outcome anyway). 120m would be a better estimative with a margin for error of a few million.