By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sells through 106 million, Over 1.15 BILLION Games Sold!

colafitte said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Did a handheld ever sell more then a bill software?.

I tought only the ps2 ever did that(and now ps4)

Nah, NDS did:

Wii did:

PS1 did 962M, PS2 did 1537M and PS3 did more than 999M (really weird number, who knows, maybe it surpassed the billion too):

I can't find X360 numbers but probably was close to 1B games sold too.

So i whas right ps2 anD now ps4 are the only game systems to ever reach 1bill software sales.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
CuCabeludo said:

No console will sell more than PS2. The PS2 sold so well due to the large number of third party exclusive games it had. If you wanted to play a game, even a third party game, you had no other option but PS2. Now third party exclusivity is very rare, when it happens it is timed exclusivity (usually 1 year). Also it was the cheapest dvd player on the market. But now streaming is becoming more popular than buying movies in Blu-ray.

To say no console ever will is wrong. It is a really high bar to cross but not impossible. As it stands, the hypothetical switch 2 has the best chances to do so out of consoles coming in the near future.

I don't see it happening because there are more choices to play multiplat games today compared to the first years of PS2 (which was the house of a lot of third party exclusives for a good period of time and also sold well as a cheap DVD player rather than only a console). And over the next decade cloud gaming will also see a considerable expansion, one more option to play games for the folks that don't want to invest in any gaming hardware and will prefer play on their phones, macbooks, tablets and potato machines.

Amazing milestone for an amazing console. Hope the PS5 can emulate this kind of success.

Excellent tracking by vgchartz and excellent hardware/software sales for Sony.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Does the number include games from ps plus? Also no mention of PS Now?

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Nu-13 said:

To say no console ever will is wrong. It is a really high bar to cross but not impossible. As it stands, the hypothetical switch 2 has the best chances to do so out of consoles coming in the near future.

I don't see it happening because there are more choices to play multiplat games today compared to the first years of PS2 (which was the house of a lot of third party exclusives for a good period of time and also sold well as a cheap DVD player rather than only a console). And over the next decade cloud gaming will also see a considerable expansion, one more option to play games for the folks that don't want to invest in any gaming hardware and will prefer play on their phones, macbooks, tablets and potato machines.

But the switch is already on track to get relatively "close" to ps2 numbers. A switch 2 that gets even better support than the switch (and since launch, not after years) would be the first console in a long time with the potential to beat ps2.

think-man said:

Noo,psn now and psplus dont sell games.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Great tracking for VGChartz!

1.15 billion units of software sold for the PS4 is incredible. And we still got heavy hitters like FF7, TLOU: Pt.2, Cyberpunk on the way!

think-man said:

No.

Number without included games from PSplus.
1.15 billion games bought by consumers.

Last numbers for PSnow, was 1m+ subcriptions.

Ontop of the 38.8m PSplus users,  and sony has ~40m people paying for subscriptions.
(netflix is like ~150m, if that puts things into perspective)

Xbox Live Gold, is probably ~15-20m and ~8m Gamepass subs.

PotentHerbs said:
Great tracking for VGChartz!

1.15 billion units of software sold for the PS4 is incredible. And we still got heavy hitters like FF7, TLOU: Pt.2, Cyberpunk on the way!

Im hopeing FF7R and TLoU p2, help keep sales high in 2019.
Cyberpunk probably wont hurt any either.

I'd personally put all 3 games there, on the same level as a Mario Oddessey or new Breath of the Wild Zelda.
Sony should give the PS4 a price cut, and just let it go out on a high note.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 January 2020

Congrats PS4 doing great and PSVR is doing fine.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."