By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch accomplishes the sweep in the USA in 2019

Congrats to the Switch! Would be cool to see it sweep this year, but I don't know if that'll happen with the Xbox Series X and PS5 releasing in the holiday season.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Your post was a very convoluted way to express your support for EricHiggin.

Odd, since I skipped pretty much this entire thread and only read the first line of the post Curl-6 quoted.  Do what you need to do, though.

pokoko said:
curl-6 said:

Gotta love how what used to be "Wii U + 3DS combined" has now changed to "Wii + DS combined" now that it's clear it is going to pass the former threshold. Gotta keep moving those goalposts so you can downplay the opponent brand's success.

This sounds like something of a strawman to me, as do a lot of "someone else said something different so that means YOU are moving goalposts" arguments.  You can always find different statements from different people.  

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that the Wii U represented a healthy or even viable baseline for Nintendo.  No goalposts should be set there, to begin with.  Bettering those numbers should be an expectation.  On the other hand, I don't think the Wii represented a normal baseline, either, so a new console certainly doesn't need to reach those heights to be successful.

As for the core of the "combined" argument itself, a merged product line does need to cover projected lost profit to some degree, though that would really be held against Nintendo itself rather than the Switch.  What makes that murky is the idea that Nintendo faced declining sales in both the handheld and home console markets, which means we really have no idea where the real baseline would end up.

If I were running Nintendo, I'd want strong hardware sales in other to keep production costs low, but I really wouldn't care about any sort of comparisons to "home+handheld" numbers.  I would absolutely analyze the economic pluses and minuses of running two hardware production lines against one production line, obviously, but I think a totally new product has to establish its own numbers.  

Software is a different beast.  It would absolutely need to generate strong profitability compared to "home+handheld" numbers.  A drop in revenue is understandable but the final margins need to be higher.

However, at the end of the day, there was one overwhelmingly serious need that Nintendo had to address this generation: engaging new consumers.  They said themselves that this was a hugely important issue for them and most of their other measures had failed, as they were mainly depending on a carryover audience.  I know I criticized the cheap plastic toy things, and with good reason.  That the Switch seems to be a major success in that area really transcends the numbers.  This was both what they really wanted and really needed.  Nintendo has to be pleased and relieved--though not too relieved, as we know success in one generation shouldn't be taken for granted in the next. 

Now, that being said, in dick-waving threads like this, especially when the dick-waving is about beating two product lines already slated for replacement, I think people pointing out negative factors is totally fair game.   

As long as the dick waving makes you feel good.... that's all that matters. The rest of your entire post is bullshit....like the dick waving comment is. Just stop. Jesus. What the hell is wrong with people here.

SwitchUP said:

As long as the dick waving makes you feel good.... that's all that matters. The rest of your entire post is bullshit....like the dick waving comment is. Just stop. Jesus. What the hell is wrong with people here.

I don't know, but you should fit right in.  Seriously, though, if you're unable to type out an intelligent argument beyond "ur post is bullshit" then just stop.  I mean, at least try.  Stop wasting everyone's time if you can't write something meaningful.  Know your role or crawl back to GameFAQS.  Jesus.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

Odd, since I skipped pretty much this entire thread and only read the first line of the post Curl-6 quoted.  Do what you need to do, though.

This means you came to the defense of people who pointed out negative factors without even knowing what they actually posted in this thread.

pokoko said:

Now, that being said, in dick-waving threads like this, especially when the dick-waving is about beating two product lines already slated for replacement, I think people pointing out negative factors is totally fair game.

Or more accurately, you defended EricHiggin specifically because the first line of his post was the only thing you read.

Or more accurately, I responded to the post I quoted as its own thing.  I didn't come to anyone else's "defense"--don't mix me up with you.  I mean, I know what you're trying to do, it's very Trump of you with the forced dichotomy, but it's also kind of silly.  Really, this whole "if you're not 100% with us then you're the enemy attackattackattack" party-politics thing, where people have to fit everyone into camps, has really fucked up these forums and it's driving away everyone but the extremists.  Maybe that's what you want.  I know I'm tired of it.  I'm having less and less regrets about skipping out on console gaming.  The funny thing is, I was just looking at the Switch Lite today because increased downtime at work but, goddamn, I seriously do not miss this fanboy shit in the least.

pokoko said:
SwitchUP said:

I don't know, but you should fit right in.  Seriously, though, if you're unable to type out an intelligent argument beyond "ur post is bullshit" then just stop.  I mean, at least try.  Stop wasting everyone's time if you can't write something meaningful.  Know your role or crawl back to GameFAQS.  Jesus.

RolStoppable said:

This means you came to the defense of people who pointed out negative factors without even knowing what they actually posted in this thread.

pokoko said:

Or more accurately, you defended EricHiggin specifically because the first line of his post was the only thing you read.

Or more accurately, I responded to the post I quoted as its own thing.  I didn't come to anyone else's "defense"--don't mix me up with you.  I mean, I know what you're trying to do, it's very Trump of you with the forced dichotomy, but it's also kind of silly.  Really, this whole "if you're not 100% with us then you're the enemy attackattackattack" party-politics thing, where people have to fit everyone into camps, has really fucked up these forums and it's driving away everyone but the extremists.  Maybe that's what you want.  I know I'm tired of it.  I'm having less and less regrets about skipping out on console gaming.  The funny thing is, I was just looking at the Switch Lite today because increased downtime at work but, goddamn, I seriously do not miss this fanboy shit in the least.

Look man, coming from the dick waving man himself, your comment is just as useful as.... dick waving. So, try again, and take your own advice, and produce something useful, then, I'll respond with something better. I cant make a better response to the garbage you came up with. So blame yourself. Kettle, meet pot.

Around the Network
SwitchUP said:
pokoko said:

Look man, coming from the dick waving man himself, your comment is just as useful as.... dick waving. So, try again, and take your own advice, and produce something useful, then, I'll respond with something better. I cant make a better response to the garbage you came up with. So blame yourself. Kettle, meet pot.

Looks like that stray comment got your panties twisted up good, poor thing.  That, or it's the only thing you understood.  

Probably both, actually. 

I can't believe I'm dealing with someone who is crying because someone else insulted ... a thread (Jesus Christ on a cat).  

Honestly, though, if you're unable to respond to a serious comment with an intelligent argument then I have no respect for you.  Even if you didn't agree with me, you should have been able to explain why.  That you couldn't do anything except start a flamewar tells me everything I need to know about you and your abilities--or lack thereof.  

pokoko said:
curl-6 said:

Gotta love how what used to be "Wii U + 3DS combined" has now changed to "Wii + DS combined" now that it's clear it is going to pass the former threshold. Gotta keep moving those goalposts so you can downplay the opponent brand's success.

This sounds like something of a strawman to me, as do a lot of "someone else said something different so that means YOU are moving goalposts" arguments.  You can always find different statements from different people.  

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that the Wii U represented a healthy or even viable baseline for Nintendo.  No goalposts should be set there, to begin with.  Bettering those numbers should be an expectation.  On the other hand, I don't think the Wii represented a normal baseline, either, so a new console certainly doesn't need to reach those heights to be successful.

As for the core of the "combined" argument itself, a merged product line does need to cover projected lost profit to some degree, though that would really be held against Nintendo itself rather than the Switch.  What makes that murky is the idea that Nintendo faced declining sales in both the handheld and home console markets, which means we really have no idea where the real baseline would end up.

If I were running Nintendo, I'd want strong hardware sales in other to keep production costs low, but I really wouldn't care about any sort of comparisons to "home+handheld" numbers.  I would absolutely analyze the economic pluses and minuses of running two hardware production lines against one production line, obviously, but I think a totally new product has to establish its own numbers.  

Software is a different beast.  It would absolutely need to generate strong profitability compared to "home+handheld" numbers.  A drop in revenue is understandable but the final margins need to be higher.

However, at the end of the day, there was one overwhelmingly serious need that Nintendo had to address this generation: engaging new consumers.  They said themselves that this was a hugely important issue for them and most of their other measures had failed, as they were mainly depending on a carryover audience.  I know I criticized the cheap plastic toy things, and with good reason.  That the Switch seems to be a major success in that area really transcends the numbers.  This was both what they really wanted and really needed.  Nintendo has to be pleased and relieved--though not too relieved, as we know success in one generation shouldn't be taken for granted in the next. 

Two product lines slated for replacement? 

O.M.G. What a Nin fanboy. Obviously....

Seriously, stop looking at things objectively and pick a side already. If anyone will even let you that is...

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

It's just another instance of you not expecting to get called out on a post and then reacting with condescension. You also cornered yourself with your statement that you are unaware of the things that were posted in this thread. You labeled this thread as dick-waving and excused poor posts in this thread for not being any worse than my original post (said comment of yours is still up there in the quote box). In your next post you claimed that you don't even know what was posted in this thread, then in your most recent post (quoted above) you describe my behavior as "fanboy shit" when you yourself had no problem to come into this thread to excuse poor posts for no other reason than you not liking my thread.

The funny thing about your last sentence is that after all these years you still try to claim the moral high ground by mentioning interest in a Nintendo console and implying to have no stake in console wars, but who in this community would actually believe that pokoko has had serious consideration for a Nintendo console. An additional factor is that you once stated that the Vita taught you that handheld gaming is just not for you. What you've displayed here is as fake as it can get.

That's just you being you and wanting to play the console warz game no matter what.  Almost everything you just typed is just to make my post about you.  Get some perspective.  You didn't "call me out on a post," you didn't even address anything in my post AT ALL.  Don't pretend otherwise, it will just make you look fake.  What you did, ALL you did, was try to polarize my post so you could turn this into an "us versus them" battle.  Your entire strategy here was transparent and just more of what you do on a continuous basis.  As your argument here against my post was nothing but "you defended someone else," you don't have a leg to stand on.  Do you not understand how silly that sounds?  That you "called me out" for "defending someone else"?  I would imagine that you don't.  That's the world you want to live in.

As for you believing me about looking at a Switch, I couldn't care less.  I assure you, your opinion does not matter to me in that regard and I would never expect you to be objective.  About the Vita and handheld gaming, all of that is true and still applies.  It's only my situation that has changed, and boredom is still boredom.  Plus, as I've said before, I'd like to be able to play Zelda and Fire Emblem games--you can go look that up, too, if you'd like.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

That's just you being you and wanting to play the console warz game no matter what.  Almost everything you just typed is just to make my post about you.  Get some perspective.  You didn't "call me out on a post," you didn't even address anything in my post AT ALL.  Don't pretend otherwise, it will just make you look fake.  What you did, ALL you did, was try to polarize my post so you could turn this into an "us versus them" battle.  Your entire strategy here was transparent and just more of what you do on a continuous basis.  As your argument here against my post was nothing but "you defended someone else," you don't have a leg to stand on.  Do you not understand how silly that sounds?  That you "called me out" for "defending someone else"?  I would imagine that you don't.  That's the world you want to live in.

As for you believing me about looking at a Switch, I couldn't care less.  I assure you, your opinion does not matter to me in that regard and I would never expect you to be objective.  About the Vita and handheld gaming, all of that is true and still applies.  It's only my situation that has changed, and boredom is still boredom.  Plus, as I've said before, I'd like to be able to play Zelda and Fire Emblem games--you can go look that up, too, if you'd like.

If you want to come across as credible and having some sense of objectivity, the first step would be that you clearly distance yourself from what EricHiggin posted and call his argumentation nonsense, whataboutism or whatever suits your fancy. Then the second step is that you acknowledge that the quality of my original post is notably higher than the arguments that were made against it, so your initial assessment of "fair game to point out negative factors" has to be revised because you entered at a point where the thread was already way beyond the line of reasonable arguments against this specific accomplishment of Switch.

Yes, you've said it before that you'd like to play Zelda and Fire Emblem games, but those comments are as hollow as when you pretend that an Xbox could have ever been an option for a console purchase for you.

As for your first post in this thread, the reason why I didn't comment on anything beyond your closing paragraph that attacked my thread is that you didn't really say anything particular interesting. You outlined a bunch of metrics, all of which meaning that Switch is very successful because it's verifiable via Nintendo's financial reports, then you turned around and ruined your post with the closing paragraph because it's apparently not okay for someone else to point out how successful Switch has been.

While pokoko is at it, make sure to remind them to denounce Trump as well. I've sided with DT before, and through this chain thought association mindset, pokoko is clearly guilty of that as well...

I also really wanted an XBOX, but we got a PS2 instead. My bro was super happy though. I eventually came around to being ok with the PS2, after convincing my parents to rent the XBOX from Blockbuster numerous times, along with a GCN. The GCN controller was out of this world comfortable in comparison to everything and it's still one of my favs. 360 and PS3 was a much tougher decision. My bro and I ended up buying them both so we could share them at times and have the best of both worlds. I'd also like to play BOTW, but not on the hardware that Nin has available. A Pro version might be enough to get me to bite though. I'd prefer a worthy dedicated home console but that seems more unlikely.

I don't see the all out assault on Nin here. Sure points were made, but specific points, not a generalization about Nin or Switch. I think based on both Switch sales, that it's clear they are looking to be successful so far.

I can understand the Wii U + 3DS argument, even though it fails to take into account the Switch's advantages in profitability over those platforms. Switch is after all a successor to both those platforms.

But bring the Wii and DS into it? That's jumping the shark. No system will ever sell as much as those two combined. By that standard even the PS2 is a miserable failure.