By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - According to Mat Piscatella "Next Gen consoles sales will not have a major effect on Switch sales"

Tagged games:

What do you think

Agree with him 46 76.67%

I am not agree 14 23.33%

Total:60
Shadow1980 said:
Nu-13 said:

Are you seriously denying that video games of the same generation affect each other's sales? The ps5, xsx and switch 2 will obviously affect each other just like wii u vs ps4 vs xb1, wii vs ps3 vs x360, dc vs ps2 vs gc vs xb...

I'm denying it because there's no evidence for it. I gave clear examples that can be seen in the sales data. Where's your evidence?

Riiight, let's pretend the genesis, saturn, N64, DC, GC, Xbox, ps3, x360, wii u, xbox one would have sold the exact same if the snes, ps, ps2, wii and ps4 never existed or weren't as successful.

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:
The PS3 and 360 didn't have any affect on the sales of the DS. Same for the XBox One and PS4 for the 3DS. Handhelds are in a different market and don't directly affect others. So naturally it's not going to have a significant impact on the Switch which will sell for it's games and portability which the other two can't deliver on.

Handhelds WERE in a different market. Not anymore.

I agree they won't.

For people debating about new platforms having an effect on current they can if they're competing for the same demographic and try to sell off the same approach for example Xbox and PS aim for the same type of people to fill the same type of position so impact each other where as Switch sells to a demographic that may include some of the same people but the position Switch fulfills is different with a role of being more custom to each person whether its a complimentary platform, main platform, portable, table top etc...

If a platform is going for the exact same type of position it can impact a current platform but if not then it won't really make a difference, the are some factors however that can lead to an exception like a shift in a market or region like we see in Japan for example where Switch just dominates because it also fills the role of home platform due to being a hybrid it impacts other platforms.

Of course, the switch is a portable. The x1 and ps4 are actual consoles.  My cell phone plays games and connects to my tv, but it is not a game console. So, why would the switch be dramatically affected other than the general gaming dollars being used up?

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

If Switch was directly competing with Playstation and Xbox, it's arrival and meteoric success would've taken a big chunk out of PS4 and Xbone's sales. This didn't happen; in fact, PS4 peaked the year Switch released.

curl-6 said:

If Switch was directly competing with Playstation and Xbox, it's arrival and meteoric success would've taken a big chunk out of PS4 and Xbone's sales. This didn't happen; in fact, PS4 peaked the year Switch released.

This has been said to death but it's nigh impossible for a system released years later to have a big impact on existing consoles. I don't get why so much struggle about something so simple. Of course the switch competes with the ps4 and xb1 (and later ps5 and xsx for a while).

Nu-13 said:
curl-6 said:

This has been said to death but it's nigh impossible for a system released years later to have a big impact on existing consoles. I don't get why so much struggle about something so simple. Of course the switch competes with the ps4 and xb1 (and later ps5 and xsx for a while).

The numbers show it didn't directly compete with PS4/Xbone, so why would it compete with its successors which will be basically the same?

curl-6 said:
Nu-13 said:

The numbers show it didn't directly compete with PS4/Xbone, so why would it compete with its successors which will be basically the same?

The numbers are what they are and the switch competes directly with the other systems. If they are on the market at the same time, they are competing.

Nu-13 said:
curl-6 said:

The numbers are what they are and the switch competes directly with the other systems. If they are on the market at the same time, they are competing.

Not directly. Switch's sales aren't taking a chunk out of Xbox/Playstation.