By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

This thread aged more like moldy bread than fine wine xD

Around the Network

It may be not too outlandish to presume Sony came up with and offer first, then MS learned about it and made a better deal.

It may also explain Nadella's comment about "being open to acquire more companies". Normally you wouldn't do that kind of statement, because that way you may give incentives to other companies to make acquisitions as well. Maybe that comment was intended as a warning.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 27 September 2020

freebs2 said:

It may be not too outlandish to presume Sony came up with and offer first, then MS learned about it and made a better deal.

It may also explain Nadella's comment about "being open to acquire more companies". Normally you wouldn't do that kind of statement, because that way you may give incentives to other companies to make acquisitions as well. Maybe that comment was intended as a warning.

I would say that it is more likely that Zenimax reached out, made them bid against each other for the best outcome for them, as they should have. Given the timing of the news of amazon's streaming service  too, they were probably involved and would have been keen having Bethesda's catalog exclusive.

The fact that we are questioning whether or not MS will keep all the games to their own platforms or not is an indicator that the best company won. With the other 2, there is no question.

I'm not familiar with the amount of money Sony is sitting on... So I have to ask: Would they even be able to pay 7.500 million dollars just like Microsoft did?

Vodacixi said:
I'm not familiar with the amount of money Sony is sitting on... So I have to ask: Would they even be able to pay 7.500 million dollars just like Microsoft did?

Could Sony afford to buy Zenimax at 7.5 Billion? yes they could but they only have like what over 30 billion in cash? Spending nearly 1/3 of your cash reserves would not be a smart move for a company especially when Sony as whole were not doing so well a couple of years back.

Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
Vodacixi said:

Could Sony afford to buy Zenimax at 7.5 Billion? yes they could but they only have like what over 30 billion in cash? Spending nearly 1/3 of your cash reserves would not be a smart move for a company especially when Sony as whole were not doing so well a couple of years back.

Sony could leverage stock options instead of handing over pure cash as well.

Sony could afford Zenimax fairly easily in it's current fiscal position.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Vodacixi said:

I believe Sony has around 33 billion in cash on hand, so yes they could afford to have bought Zenimax but it would take a decent chunk of their cash on hand in contrast to MS who has 136 billion cash on hand; four times as much as what Sony has. Basically, a drop in the bucket for MS and a relatively sizeable amount for Sony. 

Vodacixi said:

Sony, most likely, have this money to invest, but it's a gigantic deal for them, this is money that would impact the entire company, not just playstation... If i'm not mistaken the entire Sony is worth a little under 100 Billions. On the other hand, 7.5 Billion is nothing for Microsoft, that is worth more than 1 trillion. I'm sure Microsoft would put 10 billions, or even more, to buy Bethesda if needed.

In summary, Sony is probably able to buy Zenimax for 7.5Bi, but they made the judgment that it was not worth it. On the other hand, Microsoft care little for such "small investment", that money is not of great impact to them, so... why not.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Pemalite said:
EspadaGrim said:

Sony could leverage stock options instead of handing over pure cash as well.

Sony could afford Zenimax fairly easily in it's current fiscal position.

Agreed, it would have been a much bigger risk for Sony than it is MS is all I'm saying.

Vodacixi said:

The short answer is yes,but it would not be as easy to justify, they would look at it long term and overtime everything being equal it should pay for itself, but to do that they would need to keep it 3rd party, and since that's the case why botherl in MS case the properties staying 3rd party isn't such an issue since it sits well with gamepass and the new xbox business model is why we haven't seen this till now since MS pre game pass would say like Sony why buy when it's on our platform anyway but the pivot toward a service model changed that.