By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
chakkra said:

lol I don't want to point any finger but I think this post by DonFerrari was the trigger:

"But every gen we get MS fans to claim MS will use their money to buy the win in that gen, never happened, never will."

You think with all these buys Microsoft did they Will win the GEN?

No.

Last edited by chakkra - on 27 September 2020

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
freebs2 said:

It may be not too outlandish to presume Sony came up with and offer first, then MS learned about it and made a better deal.

It may also explain Nadella's comment about "being open to acquire more companies". Normally you wouldn't do that kind of statement, because that way you may give incentives to other companies to make acquisitions as well. Maybe that comment was intended as a warning.

I would say that it is more likely that Zenimax reached out, made them bid against each other for the best outcome for them, as they should have. Given the timing of the news of amazon's streaming service  too, they were probably involved and would have been keen having Bethesda's catalog exclusive.

The fact that we are questioning whether or not MS will keep all the games to their own platforms or not is an indicator that the best company won. With the other 2, there is no question.

I won't pick sides for which is the best company to own them. But yes, I agree that situation is even mote likely. I wouldn't even rule out Tencent as a potential buyer.

BraLoD said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

No offense but what is this nonsense? For starters, Bethesda didn't make ESO. Secondly as shitty as Fallout 76 is, it shouldn't outweigh all the other stuff not only Bethesda as a studio has done but the Bethesda publishing brand has done amazing work this gen. For a forum and user who constantly complains about the online aspect of modern publishing, you'd really "love" to see Sony buy a huge company that is in no financial stress whatsoever? A company who makes tons of great single player games? Seems to be conflicting messages. Or is it ok so long as they're exclusive to Playstation?

Quake Champions
Rage 2
Doom
Doom Eternal
Five Wolfenstein games
Dishonored 2
Prey
Evil Within 1 and 2

Among others I'm probably missing. All quality games with meaty SP and no forced MP or "screwing over consumers". Well except Quake, obviously. It's MP.

But you'd "love" to see this all walled off and only available to PS users? Fucking yikes. Would be a bad move for gamers and the industry. At least with the other studios being bought recently, there was already a great almost de facto standard working situation like Insomniac or Playground, or it was a developer clearly in need of financial relief like Ninja Theory or Double Fine.

When it was Sony it was a bad move for gamers and the industry, when it's MS it's incredible news for everybody: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9218899

As neutral as always.

Big oof.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

EspadaGrim said:
Vodacixi said:
I'm not familiar with the amount of money Sony is sitting on... So I have to ask: Would they even be able to pay 7.500 million dollars just like Microsoft did?

Could Sony afford to buy Zenimax at 7.5 Billion? yes they could but they only have like what over 30 billion in cash? Spending nearly 1/3 of your cash reserves would not be a smart move for a company especially when Sony as whole were not doing so well a couple of years back.

In terms of Cash and Cash Equivalent, it's 1.4T yen or 13.7 billion. This doesn't include marketable securities or other liquid assets. Keep in mind this is for all of their divisions, not just gaming. In theory, yes, Sony could have bought Zenimax, but it would have not been a financially sound decision for them. Most likely, the rumor of Sony buying them was bogus. 

Q1 2020 Financials: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_sony.pdf

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

BraLoD said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

No offense but what is this nonsense? For starters, Bethesda didn't make ESO. Secondly as shitty as Fallout 76 is, it shouldn't outweigh all the other stuff not only Bethesda as a studio has done but the Bethesda publishing brand has done amazing work this gen. For a forum and user who constantly complains about the online aspect of modern publishing, you'd really "love" to see Sony buy a huge company that is in no financial stress whatsoever? A company who makes tons of great single player games? Seems to be conflicting messages. Or is it ok so long as they're exclusive to Playstation?

Quake Champions
Rage 2
Doom
Doom Eternal
Five Wolfenstein games
Dishonored 2
Prey
Evil Within 1 and 2

Among others I'm probably missing. All quality games with meaty SP and no forced MP or "screwing over consumers". Well except Quake, obviously. It's MP.

But you'd "love" to see this all walled off and only available to PS users? Fucking yikes. Would be a bad move for gamers and the industry. At least with the other studios being bought recently, there was already a great almost de facto standard working situation like Insomniac or Playground, or it was a developer clearly in need of financial relief like Ninja Theory or Double Fine.

When it was Sony it was a bad move for gamers and the industry, when it's MS it's incredible news for everybody: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9218899

As neutral as always.

he mentions its bad if its walled of in his recent post he even mentions ps5 games at 70,-,thus not walled of are u obtuse on purpose?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
chakkra said:

lol I don't want to point any finger but I think this post by DonFerrari was the trigger:

"But every gen we get MS fans to claim MS will use their money to buy the win in that gen, never happened, never will."

You think with all these buys Microsoft did they Will win the GEN?

Higher possibility we will go back to the 360 days of selective global domination.

Xbox: North and South America, UK, Russia, Australia/New Zealand. 

Sony: Mainland Europe and most of Asia. Overall more global units moved.

But then you have Xbox competing in ways Sony largely isn’t doing. All games releasing on Windows and Steam and all Android phones/tablets via Xcloud. Xbox will sell less consoles but the brand can very much be bigger then Sony putting all their efforts into console only. 

That said I would be happy with this selective domination, most users typing in English on the internet tend to live in a country that will be dominated by Xbox. Bragging about PS5 selling well in Japan doesn’t mean much when your brand is losing in your own backyard (country). 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari was really against the idea of MS doing something like this haha. It’s ok, nobody could have seen this coming.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 27 September 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

BraLoD said:
shikamaru317 said:

Worth noting that he said that before Sony hatted 4 more AAA exclusives, including 2 from Zenimax. Many who once would have been against MS buying a whole publisher and then walling it off from Playstation, will have changed their opinion since then due to Sony continuing to play dirty pool with AAA moneyhats even though Phil attempted to call a truce between MS and Sony in regards to moneyhats. I know I for for one have gone from being against MS walling off a whole publisher from Sony to being all for it, Sony deserves it after the amount of anti-consumer BS they've pulled, especially this year (increasing the price of games especially in Europe and then claiming that they can't afford to do day one PS Now releases for their exclusives, moneyhatting games like Tokyo Ghostwire and FF16 and DLC's like Spider-Man in Avengers, etc.). Sony has grown to near 2006 levels of cockiness again and need a wake up call, if it takes Zenimax being walled off from PS to wake them up, so be it.

You should really take off your green goggles before posting.

MS has been outright buying studios instead of investing on their own games, what Sony does is shit compared to it, even as it's also shit, indeed.

The anti-consumer BS is always really undue here, now Sony is to blame for increased game prices when companies where already saying they would do it?

I dunno how I still didn't see you say Sony is the culprit behind the pandemic so people can give more attention to the PS5 launch.

Sony needs a wake up call, that's why MS is buying studios like they always did... damn, just damn.

Everything good Sony does is a reaction to MS, everything bad Sony does is because they are anti-consumer. And everything bad MS does is a reaction to Sony, everything good they do is because they are full of goodwill.

Quite interesting world some people live into.

Na, quite a few are thinking it. To be honest, the $70 games are completely justified and overdue. Anyone thinking their favoured company won't follow suit within a year or 2 is in for a rude awakening.

JRPGfan said:

Thats waaay to big a buy isnt it?

That said, I'd love to see Sony take over Bethesda Game Studios.

Sometimes new management is all thats needed, to get things back on track,
and I suspect Bethesda is one of those companys that could benefit from it.

Elder Scrolls Online + Fallout 76 = garbage.

Bethasda has lost its way.

Its too focused on all the wrong things, way to focused on penny pinching, and exploiting consumers.
Sony takeing over, and new engine + a belief in single player focused gameing, and not screwing over consumers.
Suddenly Elderscrolls is back and Fallout too, as their ment to be.

You almost predicted how things turned out. Almost.

BraLoD said:
shikamaru317 said:

MS has been doing plenty of investment into their own games. Almost every studio they have is growing and hiring more devs, some like inXile and Compulsion are moving into new offices just to have space for more devs. They're building The Initiative from the ground up. They are doing far more than just buying more studios.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sony the only publisher to increase to 80 euros? The rest are only increasing to 70 I think. Besides, just because certain other publishers have decided to increase the price of their next-gen games by $10 or equivalent, doesn't mean that Sony needed to as well. Several publishers have already decided to stay at $60, at least for the time being, because they decided that increasing the price of games would look anti-consumer, especially in the middle of the Covid pandemic. 

Why would I say that Sony is behind the Covid pandemic? That is totally asinine.

Sony needs a wake-up call because they have grown overly complacent and cocky after a generation of runaway success, we saw them do the same once before after the runaway success of PS2, and now it feels like they doing it again in some ways, though not quite to the same extremes as 2006 Sony ("you should want to get a 2nd job to afford a PS3").

You're putting words into my mouth that I never said with that paragraph, so I'm not going to even bother with it.

That's the point behind it, you trying to excuse MS buying an entire publisher with some huge dev studios as a "wake-up" call for "Sony arrogance" is as asinine as that.

No, he's "excusing" it because Microsoft will at least release some of their games on other platforms. At the very least, you'll get Bethesda games on PC as you've always been. If Sony bought Zenimax, all of their games would be exclusive on PS5. You maybe would get them years later on PC, but you wouldn't get them on Switch of Series X ever. Already, Microsoft is better in this regard than Sony as seen with Minecraft, Ori and Cuphead. His comment on Sony being arrogant is that, yes, they are being arrogant and this move should make them realize you can't coast for the next generation. You've been putting words in his mouth.

Also, let's not ignore the fact that many Sony fans in this thread said they'd love for Sony to buy Zenimax. So it was never about walling off developers. It was about someone else besides Sony walling off a developer. Your post in this thread are just sour grapes. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life