By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Lol.

Inb4, XGS buying Kojima Productions rumours

Around the Network

I don't care for VR, but would be good to have as a option to those who want it... would make a good bathroom break on events at least.

Damn were back to 4 gwg. Guess it was to be expected. 

Well my prediction of MS partnering with either Valve, Facebook or both and releasing a WMR headset compatible with Xbox when they release Flight Sim on consoles is still out there. I am going to hold on to that bet. MS seems to be gun shy after Kinect and their complete focus still seems to be on Gamepass. Passing off hardware development to 3rd party companies which already are all in and just supporting their games on the platform seems like a much safer bet for them while keeping the platform open.

I personally couldn't care less about VR and honestly I hope it'll never become mainstream.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Of course they should. The issue is, as far as I know, WMR is not suited for gaming and if Steam compatibility list is anything to pay attention to, only around 30-40% of VR games are compatible with WMR headsets. So, if Microsoft doesn't want to create their own hardware (which I believe is the case), they have only two options: partner with Facebook for Oculus or partner with Valve for SteamVR. Actually, Facebook can already be ruled out, because their business model for Oculus is very console-like, they want their customers to buy games from their own store but still allow their headsets to be used with Steam VR games. I don't believe Facebook would want to allow Oculus to work with Xbox, because in this case it's a competing device. You don't need to connect your Oculus Quest to Xbox if Oculus Quest already works as a standalone device. So, this leaves Valve as an only option, but to make it work, Microsoft needs Valve to port all their SteamVR SDK, runtimes and other stuff to Xbox OS. Not an easy task which will probably require MS to pay a huge check for Valve to do it.

The way I see it is they have 2 options:

1. Either release an Xbox VR headset (with MS VR exclusives releasing on both Xbox VR and WMR) or make WMR compatible with Xbox Series, and hope that the sales of 1st party exclusive VR games from Bethesda and others will drive enough Xbox VR and/or WMR sales that more 3rd party devs start supporting Xbox VR and/or WMR

2. Partner with Valve to get Steam VR on Xbox, which like you said could prove rather expensive.

Personally I think they're better off with option 1. Release a Microsoft designed Xbox VR headset (which is part of the WMR family) on Xbox and PC, and release 1st party VR exclusives from Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios on both Xbox VR and WMR, in order to drive more WMR sales, which will in turn drive more 3rd party developer support for Xbox VR and WMR.

About option 1 - I think that this might only happen in case if Microsoft would come to conclusion that they need VR but they have no other options than to go with the "build their own headset" approach. Two reasons: Microsoft is not a hardware company and doesn't want to be a hardware company, right now they wish they didn't even have console hardware and you ask them to build yet another hardware. Second reason is that if such headset happens it will 100% be Xbox+PC compatible like everything Microsoft releases gaming related these days. The problem is, it won't sell well among PC crowd at all. If it is a WMR headset or any other standard (which would be even worse) for the reasons I mentioned in previous posts - WMR is barely supported by PC VR game developers. On the other hand, Microsoft still can make it WMR+SteamVR compatible on PC and WMR only on Xbox. But if I were to bet, this option would be the last thought for them because they would rather not bother with even more hardware.

About option 2 - it's not even about it being expensive, it's about the way how VR works on PC. I can be wrong, but as far as I understand, SteamVR is a runtime, a platform which is used by game developers to target their games to. So, it makes porting SteamVR games to Xbox impossible without SteamVR libraries being baked into Xbox OS even if Xbox OS will receive the headsets hardware support. Which means that MS would need to get Valve on board with this, but the issue is that Valve doesn't really have an interest in porting it to Xbox. It won't suddenly have any positive effect on their business by doing so. They are already fine with what they have right now, so why spend additional resources. I saw that there are some open source implementations of some libs which allow to run VR games without SteamVR installed, so MS can probably use this, but I'm not sure how good it works or if it even works at all

Ryuu96 said:

Lol.

Could it be that Bloober Team and Kojima have been working together on an SH game and that's where the "two Silent Hills" rumors came from?

shikamaru317 said:
KiigelHeart said:

I personally couldn't care less about VR and honestly I hope it'll never become mainstream.

I think it already is well on it's way to becoming mainstream at this point. Mobile VR is doing well. As I recall, Benji said that Oculus Quest 2 was one of the biggest gaming sellers on Black Friday 2020. I don't see VR being just another fad, I think it is here to stay and will continue to grow. I'm not sure that MS can afford to give Sony that advantage over them by simply ignoring VR's existence.

Not even close.

It's not a fad. VR is going to stick around, and continue to grow over time, but it's nowhere near mainstream yet. The vast majority of hardcore gamers don't even have VR headsets yet.

Ryuu96 said:

Oh, this was also the same Microsoft that was about to acquire TikTok US for $20bn+ and are interested in buying Pinterest who are worth $50bn.

Neither of which would make huge profits anytime soon, ByteDance (TikTok's owner) reported a $3bn profit in 2019 but ByteDance owns a lot more than TikTok, and also Microsoft was only getting TikTok US, Pinterest meanwhile is posting losses!

You don't get to where Microsoft is though by only focusing on short term goals.

You are looking at this wrong.  Either one of those companies have huge services that reach millions of users which as a service company which MS has transitioned to, gives them the ability to upsell their services to.  Everything MS does is geared toward a more service based company where they view building platforms as services with million of users than actually selling individual software.  Even Google, Facebook another these other services shone just advertising alone on these services bring in huge amount of cash.

Its not about short term or long term goal, its about what fits MS current strategy and how they seek to position themselves in the future.

Bloodlines 2 in development Hell right now, crazy that this comes after the lead Director and Writer was fired from the Project with no warning at all.

The game has been pulled from Hardsuit Labs and preorders have been cancelled. It’s weird that Paradox would pull the game from a studio that they own a 33% stake in.