By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
crissindahouse said:
KiigelHeart said:

Gears 5 is pretty damn great these days but I guess they butchered the first 6 months too badly. And I suppose it's a game that doesn't play so well with keyboard and mouse.

I hope they'd just keep supporting Gears 5 and start working on new IP as well. I'd take Overrun on Gears 5 over Gears 6 any day!

Surely 100k copies sold on Steam wouldn't be too bad for Tactics?

With how big Steam is I don't think 50-100k is good. I really like the franchise but from all of MS's IPs I think this one should get some break. 

I also don't think M+K is the reason. There are lot of PC players also use a controller for many games and something like Nier is very successful. 

I really don't know the situation on Xbox consoles since I am PC only for some time now but if the situation on console is also not that great then it wouldn't hurt to release another game between Gears releases.  

I would agree that 50-100k sales is bad for the game of Gears Tactics caliber (haven't played it but according to reviewers it looks like the most expensive game in the genre) even if we take some additional hundreds of thousands GamePass subscribers. If I were to guess, this game didn't return the investments and Microsoft ended up losing money on it. But probably it's not a big deal, because it was created with such outcome in mind. It was their flagship title to sell to "PC Master Race" crowd and was released under the "we are fully committed to PC market" message. Just remember that they presumably had working console build ready back in April but decided not to release it just to have that "this is a true PC title" message. It's quite interesting to see if they managed to achieve what they tried to achieve or not, but unfortunately we don't have the data about the GamePass split - how many subscriptions are Console, PC or Ultimate.

As for Gears 6. It is already a common wish, even for lots of Xbox fans, that first of all Microsoft should not rush things with this game and give more time to The Coalition to make. And the second one is that Gears 6 should be the final entry in the series. The whole gaming community just got kinda tired of this franchise and it can be seen by it being on downward spiral. Every new game performs worse than the previous. And something tells me that Microsoft just don't know what to do with the franchise at this point and they can't reinvent it somehow to breath a new life into it, especially now with Rod Fergusson left, it's probably to end it for good and let The Coalition move on to the new things.

Around the Network

The Coalition should definitely continue Gears. Even thought its flopped on steam its still really popular on console. Gears 5 had a huge launch, it was the first game to take the #1 most played game of that week from fortnite in almost 2 years when it released and sold more than Gears 4.

Barozi said:

Last update was from February, so 3 months later it looks like this:

1.Assassin's Creed Odyssey96.52 hours (+ 23.02)
2.Dragon Age Inquisition85.00 hours
3.Gems of War84.37 hours
4.Battle Islands75.47 hours
5.Project Spark72.20 hours
6.Fallout Shelter70.98 hours
7.Assassin's Creed Origins60.22 hours
8.Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition53.00 hours
9.Battle Ages45.03 hours
10.Watch Dogs43.85 hours
11.Assassin's Creed Syndicate42.75 hours
12.Clicker Heroes40.73 hours
13.Minecraft (X1 + Bedrock Edition)40.09 hours
14.Forza Horizon 238.90 hours
15.Assassin's Creed Unity38.12 hours
16.Rise of the Tomb Raider37.30 hours
17.Far Cry 437.17 hours
18.Kingdom Hearts III36.76 hours
19.Shadow of the Tomb Raider34.88 hours
20.Middle-Earth: Shadow of War34.08 hours (+ 34.08)
21.The Crew30.77 hours
22.Jurassic World Evolution30.90 hours
23.Forza Motorsport 629.62 hours
24.Far Cry Primal29.50 hours
25.Batman Arkham Knight27.45 hours

Unsurprisingly AC Odyssey took the top spot just short of 100 hours.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War made it instantly on #20. There are still some misc achievements to get but they need some time to prepare. Currently not in the mood to do them so it will likely not rise any time soon.

Once I get the season pass for Far Cry 5, it will definitely make the list. It currently sits at 23.88 hours.

More than half a year later, this is how my most played list of the Xbox One generation looks at the end of 2020:

1.Assassin's Creed Odyssey96.52 hours
2.Dragon Age Inquisition85.00 hours
3.Gems of War84.37 hours
4.Battle Islands75.47 hours
5.Project Spark72.20 hours
6.Fallout Shelter70.98 hours
7.Assassin's Creed Origins60.22 hours
8.Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition53.00 hours
9.Battle Ages45.03 hours
10.Dragon Quest XI S44.20 hours (+ 44.20)
11.Watch Dogs43.85 hours
12.Assassin's Creed Syndicate42.75 hours
13.Minecraft (X1 + Bedrock Edition)42.23 hours (+   2.14)
14.Divinity: Original Sin 242.00 hours (+ 42.00)
15.Clicker Heroes40.73 hours
16.Forza Horizon 238.90 hours
17.Assassin's Creed Unity38.12 hours
18.Rise of the Tomb Raider37.30 hours
19.Far Cry 437.17 hours
20.Kingdom Hearts III36.76 hours
21.Shadow of the Tomb Raider34.88 hours
22.Middle-Earth: Shadow of War34.12 hours (+   0.04)
23.Mass Effect: Andromeda32.00 hours (+ 26.00)
24.Yakuza Kiwami 231.87 hours (+ 31.87)
25.The Crew30.77 hours

Quite a bit changed.
Started and finished DQ XI S, Divinity 2 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 since the last update. They are dropping in on #10,#14 and #24 respectively.
Apparently also finished ME: Andromeda during that time, feels like I played that a long time ago. It makes the list on #23.

Jurassic World Evolution, Forza 6, Far Cry Primal and Batman Arkham Knight fell off the top 25. Also while I did play the Far Cry 5 DLCs, it could only go up to 29.33 hours played (+ 5.45) and thus misses the list by only 1 1/2 hours.

Gears Tactics doesn't have in-game statistics and doesn't record time played but according to HowlongtoBeat.com the campaign is 20-25 hours so it has likely ended up short.
I'm currently installing Yakuza 0 again to see my completion time. It's supposed to be the longer game than Kiwami 2 so I'm checking if I missed it.

Currently not playing anything that would've a chance of getting into the top 25.

Finished Gears Tactics.

A very welcome spin-off in a different genre. Visually very good for a game of its kind. Cutscenes look fantastic but unfortunately most of them don't show any action and instead are more about conversations among the main characters.

Gameplay is insanely fun and deeper than I expected. With the right skills equipped, the strategy can change quite a bit. Fo example, I was pretty disappointed with the sniper class at first because the damage dealt isn't bigger than when using lancers but Mikayla was easily the strongest character in the late game.

While missions weren't all that hard on intermediate difficulty, the boss fights were quite challenging. There are different kinds of side missions that are nice to play one or two times each but get a little repetitive after that (some of them are also incorporated into the main story). The fact that you can't just skip them is certainly disappointing. It feels like they wanted to artificially increase the length of the campaign. There's little point in finishing them. Getting a level up is rare (finished the game with level 5/6 characters) so the experience you can gain from side missions isn't really worth it. Also the rewards are random so you don't know if you even need the armour or weapon upgrade in the cache. Thankfully, your roster is big enough so you can send someone one a side mission and quickly kill yourself with a grenade to move onto the next main mission.

Talking about caches, the rewards can be quite hit and miss. I had a squad with rare equipment pretty early in the game and yet there were several missions where the rarity of the caches wouldn't change so no good upgrades for me. Even in later missions, where epic caches are the new standard, you might get a rare cache as a reward for completing a mission. What's the point of that? Also I'm disappointed that you can't do anything with your old loot, well except for "deleting" them. Would've been nice if there was a system where you could trade them in or combine them to increase their stats. Furthermore, I would've liked to see more upgrades for secondary weapons and grenades. Only came across two different kind of Snub Pistols (not even found in missions but from new recruits) and one grenade upgrade.

Story was good enough but nothing special. Despite the events taking place before Gears 1, the information you get out of it is more relevant for the story of Gears 4 and 5.

Overall a fantastic game in the genre and I'd really like to see a sequel of some kind, maybe set closer to the more recent Gears games, so we can get more different enemy types.

9/10

Barozi said:

More than half a year later, this is how my most played list of the Xbox One generation looks at the end of 2020:

Quite a bit changed.
Started and finished DQ XI S, Divinity 2 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 since the last update. They are dropping in on #10,#14 and #24 respectively.
Apparently also finished ME: Andromeda during that time, feels like I played that a long time ago. It makes the list on #23.

Jurassic World Evolution, Forza 6, Far Cry Primal and Batman Arkham Knight fell off the top 25. Also while I did play the Far Cry 5 DLCs, it could only go up to 29.33 hours played (+ 5.45) and thus misses the list by only 1 1/2 hours.

Gears Tactics doesn't have in-game statistics and doesn't record time played but according to HowlongtoBeat.com the campaign is 20-25 hours so it has likely ended up short.
I'm currently installing Yakuza 0 again to see my completion time. It's supposed to be the longer game than Kiwami 2 so I'm checking if I missed it.

Currently not playing anything that would've a chance of getting into the top 25.

Where do you get this info? I'm kinda curious to see what my most played games are? I know for sure though that even most played game will be under 100 hours.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Barozi said:

Quite a bit changed.

Where do you get this info? I'm kinda curious to see what my most played games are? I know for sure though that even most played game will be under 100 hours.

Exophase.com

You can easily sort your games by hours played.

I think it used to be required for Xbox games to show hours played but MS changed that rule so many more recent games (since 2018-ish) don't support it and some even removed it retroactively. Keep that in mind when you think that some games should be higher up or are missing completely.

Hey, quick question. Why can I only find xbox one physical copies of games? Wasn't there supposed to exist a kind of xbox series physical box art? I know its the same thing as the game will be running under series X specs, but I still though there would be dedicated game boxes for the new generation. Everywhere I go I cna only find Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla etc as their "xbox one" boxes version. Again, I know its the same thing, but it is... weird...

Okay, so my top 25 is the following, but I'm counting 360 games as well as almost all of those games except one I played this gen:

Game Hours
Call of Duty: Black Ops III 95.57h
Final Fantasy XV 83.25h
Valkyria Revolution 60.55h
Nier: Automata 44.97h
Borderlands 2 41.20h
Serious Sam Collection 36.75h
Borderlands 33.23h
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD 32.93h
Doom (2016) 32.32h
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 31.48h
Code Vein 26.15h
Shantae: Half Genie Hero 26.07h
Celeste 23.80h
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 21.83h
Overwatch 21.50h
Rise of the Tomb Raider 20.28h
Kingdom Hearts III 19.65h
Ori and the Blind Forest 19.00h
Halo: The Master Chief Collection 18.48h
Forza Horizon 4 18.33h
Quantum Break 17.22h
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse 16.55h
Forza Horizon 3 16.12h
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 15.30h

Actually, the top one is Twitch with 278.38h but it is not a game, so doesn't count. Also, out of the other games that I remember playing a lot, I definitely spent more than 40 hours on Valkyria Chronicles 4, and of course Sekiro (should be number one I guess, now that I remember, I had 100 hours on save file) but it doesn't count.

EnricoPallazzo said:

Hey, quick question. Why can I only find xbox one physical copies of games? Wasn't there supposed to exist a kind of xbox series physical box art? I know its the same thing as the game will be running under series X specs, but I still though there would be dedicated game boxes for the new generation. Everywhere I go I cna only find Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla etc as their "xbox one" boxes version. Again, I know its the same thing, but it is... weird...

Your assassins creed should look like this: depending on which version you purchased.

Cyberpunk doesn't exist for Series X or PS5 yet.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

shikamaru317 said:

My top 20 most played Xbox games for the generation:

Halo 5206 hours
Witcher 3 171 hours
Halo MCC 154 hours
Dragon Age Inquisition112 hours
Star Trek Online105 hours
FFXV87 hours
PvZ: Garden Warfare84 hours
Titanfall67 hours
SAO: Fatal Bullet66 hours
AC Unity65 hours
Borderlands 361 hours
Fallout 456 hours
Mad Max51 hours
AC4: Black Flag50 hours
Watch Dogs45 hours
AC Syndicate42 hours
Dishonored 242 hours
Naruto Ultimate Storm 441 hours
CoD Advanced Warfare38 hours
Battlefield 135 hours
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition35 hours

I noticed that Exophase has alot of issues with hours tracked. There are several games which I know I have more hours on than some of the above, and they aren't showing up as such on Exophase's list. It's especially true of games I have played in the last year, like Forza Horizon 4, Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2, Star Wars Squadrons, and Cyberpunk, but also games that I played years ago.

Really? Haven't noticed anything like that. It's using the stats that are saved on your MS profile/Gamertag, so it's not a problem on Exophase's end. The numbers there should be identical to the ones found on TrueAchievements.

I just know that some games stopped tracking hours played even though they used to support them. I have 7-ish hours played in Mass Effect Andromeda when I played it in 2017 and 2018. After the X enhancement patch, the time wouldn't update.

Also it won't count the time if you've played while being offline.