By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
haxxiy said:
shikamaru317 said:
I still think that MS should aim for:

$500 Series X: 12 tflop
$350-400 Series S: 7-8 tflop

What would even be the point of such a second console? Say the first runs games at 1800 - 2160p, but what about the latter? It's more powerful than it would need to be for 1080p only, and it would still sell for a loss or at no more than $100 less with such a small difference in APU size, cooling etc. between the two. Not to mention it would leave the former dead in the water as a lead platform.

That would be like if Microsoft released the Xbox One X but it had hardware similar to the PS4, instead of a significant difference. The 4 - 12 TF gap, on the other hand, makes far more sense cost-wise, and the is closer by analogy to the three platforms - PS4, Xbox One, Switch - that have already offered tiers based on resolution.

Well, I see the point in my case :)
Would buy two or three Series S for the kids (I have 4, 3 are playing very actively on daily basis) and the Series X for me !

Around the Network

Talking about Series S, 4Tflops is enough for 1440p gaming at a stable frame rate. It uses RDNA2 architecture and all the proprietary tech co-dveloped with AMD plus, Direct X Ray Tracing. Yes, it will have Ray Tracing.

This is a machine for the mass with an acceptable capability to enter 9th gen. And Xbox machines are the only ones with next gen RDNA tech.

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:
So next up Pax East, we should get some small bits of information for certain titles, then GDC, I wonder if we'll get a deeper spec dive into Series X around GDC now, I don't think they'll care if anything leaks now.

March should be a decent months for games and news.

I am all for some more Xbox Series X information at PAX East this weekend. Maybe a few games confirmed to come out for it.

Would love to see 343i starting to show some Infinite stuff :)

Finished Call of Cthulhu. Meeeeeeh. Spoiler free "review".

The game had potential but makes far too many mistakes to be truly enjoyable.

The visuals are the biggest flaw IMO. The game looks like a mid-gen 360 game. Terrible textures, bad character models (as in barely looking like humans) and everything has this green-ish lighting. Reminds me of an Game Boy game in a way...
Lip sync is completely off and their movement is ridiculously bad. You can even see them clipping behind character's teeth in some cases.

Gameplay is alright. Walking around and looking for clues is probably the most enjoyable part. The stealth sections are passable I guess. They're usually not as annoying as they could've been.

Sadly, the game re-uses the same locations over and over again. Everything is already looking the same due to the green lighting but returning to the same caves and buildings again and again is definitely disappointing. There are a few scenes with regular sunlight. This is the time where the game almost looks decent. Sadly it won't last long until the green filter returns.

There's also a lot of camera shaking and other very annoying effects on screen. It really made me feel sick sometimes.

Story is barely understandable IMO. I guess you get the point once everything comes together at the end but you keep asking yourself if something you played earlier really happened or not. There are characters that will die multiple times throughout the story only to be alive at the end. Why should I even care when I can't trust what happened?

I really can't recommended the game even if it's a GwG title and pretty short when using a walkthrough (Finished it in 6 hours 30 minutes). Achievements aside I'm glad I used one as it saved me some trouble in levels that were a little more open. The less time you spend seeing that green mist the better.

6/10

Goatseye said:
Talking about Series S, 4Tflops is enough for 1440p gaming at a stable frame rate. It uses RDNA2 architecture and all the proprietary tech co-dveloped with AMD plus, Direct X Ray Tracing. Yes, it will have Ray Tracing.

This is a machine for the mass with an acceptable capability to enter 9th gen. And Xbox machines are the only ones with next gen RDNA tech.

No, it is completely dependant on the game. And if we're talking about a 1800-2160p graphically intensive game running on a gpu 3x more powerful, then 1080p is more likely. And I say once again that it feels very weird to talk about complete rumours as if they were confirmed.

Around the Network

Quick Resume for multiple games is the most interesting next gen feature at the moment. Being able to jump between the games where you left them in a couple seconds is great.
Smart Delivery is a bit underwhelming though. I totally expected it to be handled in the same way as Xbox One/S -> One X was, where you have one game SKU and some patch that has higher-res assets for One X. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Judging by how they explained it, next gen game SKUs will be separate from Xbox One games. In case of Cyberpunk, Series X version will be downloaded if you own it digitally. But the biggest question is - what about physical copies then? Will it be totally impossible to buy Xbox One copy of Cyberpunk and play it on Series X from disc without redownloading the whole game through the internet. It would totally suck if true. New Xbox One games weird cases with "Xbox One" label at the bottom which started appearing last year hinted that the games will have single SKU, but it seems that something went wrong with it. Also, no word on delivering games by parts (like separate SP/MP downloads). It was basically confirmed last year, but no mentioned here. A bit strange.

As for Series S. If it indeed has 7-8TFLOPS GPU, I can't see it selling for more than $100 less than Series X. It's just impossible if it has all the same specs except less powerful GPU. Less powerful GPU is not enough to make a $200 difference. I also don't expect Series S to launch this year at this point. I still believe it exists but it isn't releasing until 2021.

Nu-13 said:
haxxiy said:

That's a huge overestimation.

It's not, assuming the leaked specs we have are correct. Even with large 12 inch silicon wafers, you have 32% more viable 300 mm2 chips than 400 mm2 chips per wafer. Taking into account similar defect densities only makes matters worse for the larger chip (assuming both will have the same 4 CUs or so disabled). Do remember that even small chips for smartphones are costing Apple and Samsung more than $100 or even $150. The 10, 7 nm nodes are just that expensive.

I feel like I already knew all the stuff that got announced today.

It is looking more and more possible I start next gen with Xbox, even tough I end up buying all consoles usually a couple years after the star of a generation.

I really wanted ps5 because on sony's exclusives and sony focus on single player games, I don't play online, so games such as sea of thieves and Minecraft don't do it for me.

Microsoft really need the games, I didn't like sea of thieves, Ori was alright but I never felt compelled to finish, sunset overdrive I didn't like, too over the top, and no update to the xbox X, titanfall had no campaign, Halo is good but halo 4 and 5 were boring, nothing compared to the amazing uncharted 3 and 4.

If sony launches with GT 7, Im most likely sacrificing power for the better games. I always preferred GT over Forza, with GT sport being the only exception. But then there's Last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima which I can play on PS5.

Its going to be a hell of a new generation. At least this time we don't have to count Nintendo as they already did their thing.

shikamaru317 said:
Goatseye said:

Eh, I don't think that 4 tflop can pull off 1440p at the same graphics settings as 12 tflop at 2160p personally. 1080p maybe, but 1440p is doubtful. They're better off bumping the Series S GPU up to at least 6 tflop imo (though 7 or 8 tflop would be preferable), give developers a comfortable margin to work with to make porting from X to S easier, so that developers will scale down from X to S instead of scaling up from S to X.

Xbox One X already can display in 1440p if devs target it. Series S will be way more powerful than X1X. Remember they’re using a GPU with RDNA2 architecture and Zen 2 CPU.