By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
EspadaGrim said:

I wonder which Japanese studio is making that rumored PS5 exclusive Silent Hill game now since it looks like it won’t be developed by any Sony 1st party studios. Kojima productions was already dismissed as an option. https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/lse8s6/sources_playstation_is_winding_down_sony_japan/

I give up on this Silent Hill stuff

Quite a few insiders were convinced Sony Japan was making a Silent Hill, but with them laying off most of Sony Japan's development team and leaving only Asobi, I doubt it's Sony Japan now.

Still rumours that there is one coming from a Japan studio, I think Derpy is probably right.

Sucks about them layoffs, if Xbox wants to make any sort of repairing of its image in Japan then they should use Tango to hire those employees (I'm seeing Sony Japan had around 300-400 employees so...I imagine at least a hundred have been laid off) and just let them make what they want.

Around the Network

Btw, Japan Studio hasn't made any games as of lately if I'm not mistaken, they were more like a support studio helping other developers. Example - Bloodborne. It was made by FromSoft but Japan Studio provided some help.

derpysquirtle64 said:

Btw, Japan Studio hasn't made any games as of lately if I'm not mistaken, they were more like a support studio helping other developers. Example - Bloodborne. It was made by FromSoft but Japan Studio provided some help.

The only team that was making their own games was the Astro Bot team, ASOBI Team, which is reportedly going to become it's own studio now that Sony Japan is closing. Games like Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake were co-development between Sony Japan and FromSoftware and co-dev between Sony Japan and Bluepoint. 

Yeah I can see Halo MCC doing much better due to the ongoing support for it (Halo Reach, next gen update).

derpysquirtle64 said:

They had Team Silent who died last year when Toyoma left to create his own studio they were also the ones rumored to be making the Silent Hill Reboot, all they have now is Team Asobi who make the AstroBot games.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Yeah I can see Halo MCC doing much better due to the ongoing support for it (Halo Reach, next gen update).

Yeah, the launch was disastrous but I think that the last couple of years turned it around and with all these new additions and PC release, sales increased on Xbox as well. Halo 5 also received a ton of critic (for different reasons but still) so it's not like MCC is the only one getting a backlash here. 

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I can be wrong here but something tells me that MCC sold more than Halo 5, just considering the PC release in the first place. Going by your suggestions Halo 5 sold 4.5m on Xbox while MCC sold only 1m. Doesn't seem likely as MCC had only one year headstart over Halo 5.

Hard to say really. The Xbox release of MCC was badly damaged by how bad it was on release, took years for 343 to fix it. Sales did pick up after it was finally fixed, but late life MCC sales on Xbox didn't seem nearly as good as sales of MCC on Steam or late life Halo 5 sales. I'd actually say that I have the Steam sales of MCC undertracked some, I only said 3m for MCC Steam, but it sold nearly 2m on Steam in just the first few days, so lifetime Steam for MCC is probably closer to 4m than 3m. 

We also have Michael Pachter claim that MS told him in 2017 that Halo 5 sales were tracking towards matching Halo 4/Reach, which both sold around 10m, so Halo 5 surely must be at 9.5m by now between the 5m in the first 3 months and sales after those first 3 months, unless Pachter was lying (this is Pachter we are talking about afterall xD). 

I might also be overtracking Halo Wars 2 some, which would free up more space for higher MCC sales. I really don't think Halo Wars 2 sold all that well honestly. For one thing, MS stupidly never released it on Steam, Windows Store only on PC, which for sure hurt it's PC sales. Then we have the fact that 343 recently said they have no plans for Halo Wars 3, which also seems to suggest that Halo Wars 2 sold under expectations. Lastly we have the the fact that VGC was only tracking 510k Xbox physical sales for Halo Wars 2 when VGC stopped tracking individual games in 2018, with only 510k physical on Xbox at that point, lifetime Halo Wars 2 on Xbox might be less than 1m, and I doubt Windows Store only PC release accounted for 1m. So Halo Wars 2 is probably more like 1.5-1.7m for now, MS badly needs to port it to Steam.

Yeah, 2m for HW2 seems a little bit over optimistic. We don't have the data but we know that it flopped so badly that HW3 is not even in consideration despite the fact that MS now has GamePass which as they claim allows them to release more experimental games. I won't be surprised if HW2 didn't even make it to 1m tbh.

It’s also crazy to think that MS is going to have a bigger Japanese 1st party studio (Tango Gameworks) than Sony the Japanese company, I 100% believe the Bloomberg article that said that MS were looking to acquire Japanese studios to join XGS and I hope that they do manage to snag some.

Ryuu96 said:
EspadaGrim said:

I wonder which Japanese studio is making that rumored PS5 exclusive Silent Hill game now since it looks like it won’t be developed by any Sony 1st party studios. Kojima productions was already dismissed as an option. https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/lse8s6/sources_playstation_is_winding_down_sony_japan/

I give up on this Silent Hill stuff

Quite a few insiders were convinced Sony Japan was making a Silent Hill, but with them laying off most of Sony Japan's development team and leaving only Asobi, I doubt it's Sony Japan now.

Still rumours that there is one coming from a Japan studio, I think Derpy is probably right.

Sucks about them layoffs, if Xbox wants to make any sort of repairing of its image in Japan then they should use Tango to hire those employees (I'm seeing Sony Japan had around 300-400 employees so...I imagine at least a hundred have been laid off) and just let them make what they want.

Tango needs to expand either way in order for MS to get a bigger foothold in Japan dev scene. It’s now being rumored that Koei Tecmo is the Japanese team developing SH, if so then it’s possible that it will only be timed exclusive since the leaker only said that Sony has marketing rights to the game if I remember correctly.

It'll be hard for Microsoft too, Nintendo is absolutely dominating in Japan right now and I believe a reason for Sony basically giving up on it, Microsoft doesn't stand a chance either, the Nintendo domination is too strong But thankfully Microsoft has GP so their sales in Japan may not be of consequence, getting any success in the Japanese market itself though will be entirely down to xCloud/PC, not the Xbox consoles.

Microsoft will need to convince these developers that xCloud/PC will reach their Japanese audience and Microsoft needs to ensure they won't try to push a Western market focus onto them, which they can do now thanks to not having to worry so hard about copies sold but it'll be a uphill battle. Nintendo is basically pushing Sony out.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 February 2021