By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - The Biggest Launch in Xbox History

Post Your Series X Impressions: Has It Matched Your Expectations?

Exceeded Them 11 32.35%

Matched Them 13 38.24%

Below Them 10 29.41%

Total:34
shikamaru317 said:
coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

Amazon finally shipped my Series X! Delivery expected on Monday.

I think that rounds out everyone on Empire who wanted one at launch, right?

I think so. It's actually pretty amazing that everybody here that wanted one at launch managed to get one this Holiday, considering how quickly it is selling out whenever it restocks, and considering MS is saying they are expecting sellouts on restocks until April. 

Well, we were all like "ready, set and go" at the keyboard when preorders opened, weren't we. 

In my case (probably the outlier), I benefited from a delivery app that had businesses mark consoles as "always available", meaning I could just get it and as soon as they restocked, one would be notched for me. Since they are sourced from local businesses instead of a warehouse, that meant it was less likely to have delays, as said businesses don't allow you to buy when not in stock. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:

Does someone know some regular Xbox One games that will see benefits on Series X in regards to dynamic resolution (and I'm not talking about miniscule improvements like 1800p on Xbox One X -> 4k on Series X) or unstable framerate even without patches?

I can only really think of:

FFXV (1360p at the lowest)
Dead or Alive 6 (35-40 FPS in 4k mode)
Hitman 2 (30-40 FPS in 4k mode)

any other game that really struggled to reach anywhere close to 4k (with dynamic resolution) or 60 FPS?

Just Cause 4 had a 1080p to 2160p scaler on Xbox One X, and it spends a good chunk of time running closer to 1440p than 2160p, so you should see a big resolution improvement on Series X, as well as a stable 30 fps (drops below 30 fps occasionally on XB1 X). 

Witcher 3 has both a dynamic resolution scaler and an unlocked framerate in performance mode, and it ran between 1080p and 1332p on Xbox One X, with framerate between 40-50 fps, so you should see a subtantial resolution and framerate improvement playing Witcher 3 in performance mode on Series X. However, since Witcher 3 is being Series X optimized next year, you're better off waiting for the optimization to play it on Series X. 

Yeah definitely waiting for Witcher 3 Series X version.

But thanks for reminding me about Just Cause. I own JC3 and that one couldn't hold 30 FPS either during explosions.

Last edited by Barozi - on 21 November 2020

I say it matched my expectations but they were pretty low. Not having a big exclusive at launch and having the same dash and basically the same controller. Kinda felt like another mid gen upgrade but I love the fast loading times and the small improvements to the controller. The D-pad is awesome.

Another good update for Gears 5 by TC. Nice selection of maps and they finally added Gridlock. What TC should do next is to upgrade Gears of War UE campaign to 60fps.

shikamaru317 said:

Finally!,  Now I quit walking on egg shells around you, jk. 

P.S.  You still haven't added Ark Survival to your launch list, I figured you were mad at me for getting an Xbox before you.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
shikamaru317 said:

Finally!,  Now I quit walking on egg shells around you, jk. 

P.S.  You still haven't added Ark Survival to your launch list, I figured you were mad at me for getting an Xbox before you.

Done.

Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got an Amazon restock yesterday that sold out, and boosted Xbox Series near the top of the bestsellers chart. Got another retailer restock today and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling (launch Xbox One stock stayed on some shelves for a year or more in Japan), leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves for most of this past generation, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same JP retailers that dropped their Xbox sections this past gen have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating small Xbox sections again and will now be carry Series S|X.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 21 November 2020

shikamaru317 said:
Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got another restock and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling, leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same retailers in smaller cities and towns have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating Xbox shelves again.

If true, that's especially weird given how there's no JP exclusives.  Maybe there's something tempting about BC and some of those offerings they never got around to playing?  Hard to say.

shikamaru317 said:

Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got an Amazon restock yesterday that sold out, and boosted Xbox Series near the top of the bestsellers chart. Got another retailer restock and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling, leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same retailers in smaller cities and towns have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating Xbox shelves again.

That's great to hear!

Makes me wonder though: What did Xbox do differently compared to the Xbox One? I mean, in terms of games(first party), it has no new 9th gen exclusive games(thought to be honest, the launch games of the One were mediocre at best).

It certainly is a better hardware compared to the XOne, backwards compatibility is a really nice feature, and MS didn't screw up the marketing this time. But is it enough to make the Series already having sold something around 30% of what the XOne did lifetime in Japan?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

If the rumours are true about The Initiative's format being akin to Black Mirror, I wonder how long each 'episode' will be? What would be the ideal length for you to be happy? Does this mean every episode will be SP only? Hard to imagine they'd make multiplayer components for each episode. Will they all be the same genre? TPS? 

Thinking on Black Mirror, there's a theory (actually I think it was confirmed) that while every episode is its own self contained story, the universe amongst a lot of episodes is the same, so I wonder if it's Perfect Dark's universe but multiple anthology episodes from the perspectives of different characters, separate self contained stories.

Man I have a lot of questions now.