Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - EA Play with Game Pass for No Additional Cost | Series X, Available Nov 10th at $499 | Series S Announced, Available Nov 10th at $299 | All Access Expands to 12 Countries this Holiday

I think Valhalla looks great but I can agree with and see why folk think it's not Assassin's Creed anymore and honestly watching that gameplay I was kinda annoyed, like, absolutely nothing in that recent footage has anything to do with the Assassin Brotherhood, except he has a hidden blade.



Around the Network
jason1637 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not really getting the AC Valhalla hate, I mean the 30 minute gameplay demo has 1 dislike for every 2 likes, I don't see anything that could justify that level of hate. It looks great to me, I'm seeing several notable improvements over the already great AC Odyssey; both graphical and gameplay improvements. Graphics wise, it doesn't look next-gen, it is clearly cross-gen, but I still see several improvements over Odyssey, especially with the quality of the grass, which was kind of poor quality in Odyssey and looks denser and better in Valhalla. Combat looks the best out of all 3 AC RPG games thanks to dual wielding, axe throwing, more combat abilities, more weapon types, greater enemy type variety, etc. Stealth is back again, we have social stealth, the possibility of assassinating main story bosses, etc. The exploration aspect looks better than the previous 2 RPG AC games. We have proper character customization now, which is good because I don't like the look of default Eivor. The England map seems properly big and filled with content, and it is just 1 of 3 maps in the game.

The only real issue I see is that the facial animations are still kind of bad, but they still have 4 months to fix that ahead of release.

The games aren't Assassins Creed anymore. 

But Ubisoft had a good reason for changing the series. As much as I personally loved Syndicate, the series had definitely grown stale, even I noticed it. There is a reason why Syndicate was the 4th lowest reviewed game in the series and the lowest selling game in the series, selling half of what AC3 sold. People were sick and tired of playing basically the same thing repackaged with a few tweaks in different historical settings. There were 10 straight AC games which played pretty much the same with only minor tweaks. If Ubisoft had kept going with the classic action-adventure, counter attack to win combat system, AC formula, the series would basically be dead now. Ubisoft saw the need for change and they took it, copying the very successful Witcher 3 and turning AC into a WRPG franchise.

It was a smart choice, sales went up from about 6m on Syndicate to 10m+ on both AC Origins and AC Odyssey, while reviews went up from 76 on Syndicate to 85 on Origins and 87 on Odyssey, with Odyssey being only the 3rd game in the series to get a GOTY nomination at The Game Awards (AC2 and AC3 were the first two).

I understand that some people miss classic AC and want it back, but I can't see Ubisoft ever going back to that while sales and reviews are up. I hate to see people hating on the RPG AC games for what they aren't, instead of enjoying them for what they are. If you want classic AC back, then by all means ask for it, but don't hate on the RPG AC games which a great many people enjoy. 

Personally I would love to see Ubi remake more of the older AC games with better graphics and tweak them with some of the later action-adventure gameplay improvements, that would be a great way to have classic action-adventure AC back again without affecting the new RPG direction for the franchise.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 July 2020

Slade6alpha said:
shikamaru317 said:

AC4 is definitely a good starting point, at least if you're not too worried about the modern day storyline, if you are you should play them in order of course, but if you're not, it's fine to start with 4. 4 is best of classic, action-adventure AC games in my opinion. Some say 2 is better, but I think they need to take their rose tinted glasses off, nostalgia is blinding them, alot of the mechanics in AC2 are really grindy and annoying, like needing to wipe notoriety constantly, and trying to hunt those damn feathers without an in-game collectible map. 

My ranking from best to worst in the series:

  1. AC 4
  2. AC Odyssey
  3. AC 2
  4. AC Origins
  5. AC Syndicate
  6. AC Brotherhood
  7. AC 3
  8. AC Rogue
  9. AC 1
  10. AC Unity
  11. AC Revelations

Never got around to playing AC Liberation, which I probably should.

Wait so 4, Odyssey, and Origins have that "animus" (botched spelling probably) and/or continual story from past games? 

Looking at TA wow, I had no idea there were so many AC games...guessing you never played AC India, China, or Russia, lol. 

I think all of the AC games have some modern day storyline in them, and that storyline is set in the chonological order the games released in. The ones that advanace the modern storyline the most though are 1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, Syndicate, Origins, and Odyssey though, some of the others barely advance the modern storyline at all.

India, China, and Russia were spinoff games, 2D platformers oddly enough. I never got around to playing them, same as Liberation.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 July 2020

Slade6alpha said:
jason1637 said:

The games aren't Assassins Creed anymore. 

What exactly does this mean? Less stealth? less free running? 

Too nuch RPG nonsense. The games used to be like 15 bours now they are 70.



jason1637 said:
Slade6alpha said:

What exactly does this mean? Less stealth? less free running? 

Too nuch RPG nonsense. The games used to be like 15 bours now they are 70.

Damn... sound great to me  




Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not really getting the AC Valhalla hate, I mean the 30 minute gameplay demo has 1 dislike for every 2 likes, I don't see anything that could justify that level of hate. It looks great to me, I'm seeing several notable improvements over the already great AC Odyssey; both graphical and gameplay improvements. Graphics wise, it doesn't look next-gen, it is clearly cross-gen, but I still see several improvements over Odyssey, especially with the quality of the grass, which was kind of poor quality in Odyssey and looks denser and better in Valhalla. Combat looks the best out of all 3 AC RPG games thanks to dual wielding, axe throwing, more combat abilities, more weapon types, greater enemy type variety, etc. Stealth is back again, we have social stealth, the possibility of assassinating main story bosses, etc. The exploration aspect looks better than the previous 2 RPG AC games. We have proper character customization now, which is good because I don't like the look of default Eivor. The England map seems properly big and filled with content, and it is just 1 of 3 maps in the game.

The only real issue I see is that the facial animations are still kind of bad, but they still have 4 months to fix that ahead of release.

The games aren't Assassins Creed anymore. 

Maybe it is not an "old" AC game anymore, but that's exactly what make it one of my favorite game now :)

I never liked the old AC games (before Origins) and then with the path they went with Origins (in term of gameplay, open world, combat, stats optimization), this is now what I love about the games.

I think "not being AC" anymore is up to the player. I can understand that for some fans it is not like the first ones (and definitely I would 100% agree with that). But for me, the changes are more than welcome and make it "my" kind of AC games. Looking at the trailer and gameplay from today, this is definitely another improvement of an already amazing game (Odyssey) and as I played AC at the hardest difficulty, stealth is 100% there and you can even build up your gear to support that. I have no idea why some people are saying that AC is not a stealth game... It is 100% up to the player.



I prefer older Assassins creed. They were all connected to a bloodline, games werent super long, and pacing was great.
I played Odyssey awhile back and i really liked the first few hours but after that the RPG stuff became a little too much, pacing was slow and boring, the game world was beautiful but there wasn't a lot of mission variety that took advantage of ot.
Bugs aside Unity was my favorite Assassins Creed game.



Personally I really liked what I saw of AC and Watch Dogs today. My top 5 most anticipated games currently:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Halo Infinite
3. AC Valhalla
4. Watch Dogs Legion
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo

Will be interesting to see how the ranking changes after the Xbox July show.



Disappointed with the lack of Splinter Cell news.

My main problem with recent AC games is that they are 10X the size of what they need to be. Instead of improving the main story and side quests quality and utilise the power of the console to push the graphics, they go with copy paste and fillers. One of the few games I feel exhausted playing.
They are lost on what the games actually is. Is it an open world RPG where they focus on character development and quest structure or is it an action adventure game where we focus on the gameplay and write the story in a different way. They are trying to please everyone by following every trend in gaming.

You like our AC games? You HAVE IT.
You want big open world game? YOU HAVE IT.
You want RPG elements? YOU HAVE IT.
You want ships Nd see navigation? YOU HAVE IT.

wait for cars or cyperpunk elements in the next AC game.



I LOVE GIGGS said:
Disappointed with the lack of Splinter Cell news.

My main problem with recent AC games is that they are 10X the size of what they need to be. Instead of improving the main story and side quests quality and utilise the power of the console to push the graphics, they go with copy paste and fillers. One of the few games I feel exhausted playing.
They are lost on what the games actually is. Is it an open world RPG where they focus on character development and quest structure or is it an action adventure game where we focus on the gameplay and write the story in a different way. They are trying to please everyone by following every trend in gaming.

You like our AC games? You HAVE IT.
You want big open world game? YOU HAVE IT.
You want RPG elements? YOU HAVE IT.
You want ships Nd see navigation? YOU HAVE IT.

wait for cars or cyperpunk elements in the next AC game.

It's strange for sure. Splinter Cell was in that leak of games Xbox had marketing rights on 2 years ago, and every other game on that list turned out to be true, all of them were announced with Xbox marketing. At this point I'm starting to wonder if it was in development and MS did have marketing on it, but Ubisoft cancelled it because it wasn't shaping up well. But I guess there is still a chance it will be announced on the 2nd Ubisoft Forward event later this year.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd event. In theory at least, it should have:

  • Far Cry 6 gameplay reveal
  • Gods & Monsters gamplay demo or trailer and release date
  • Rainbow Six Quarantine gameplay demo or trailer and release date
  • Skull & Bones re-reveal, likely as a next-gen only game with a singleplayer campaign
  • Beyond Good & Evil 2 re-reveal as a next-gen only game
  • Ubisoft Massive's Avatar reveal
  • At least 1 new game announcement (possibilities include Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, The Crew 3, something Rayman)