By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

Mr Puggsly said:

In western countries, I imagine people having a gaming PC and a current gen consoles is somewhat common. Globally many PC gamers are not using consoles for various reasons. Either way, there is a larger audience MS can reach supporting PC than Xbox could ever alone.

Obviously you are only speaking in hypothetical's rather than asserting it as definitive?

Mr Puggsly said:

MS isn't just in the services business, they also rely on revenue generated by software sales. Hence, their sales can increase from PC support and they can push Gamepass there as well.

They don't receive a cut of the vast majority of software sales on PC, they do receive a cut from all sales on Xbox.

Mr Puggsly said:

Steam is still the king of digital gaming sales, but there are other stores selling popular games not found on Steam. Therefore PC gamers are becoming accustom to using programs beyond Steam. More people are now using the Microsoft Store because it has great games being added, but MS still adds some games to Steam to generate revenue.

Irrelevant. There have always been multiple stores on PC. The bulk of sales is still Steam and will continue to be Steam for the immediate future.

Microsoft has also historically tried to skip Steam in order to favour their own distribution store, Halo Wars 2 and Gears of War 4 being a prime example.
Titles like Age of Empires: Definitive edition also didn't get a Steam release until much much later... Mostly because people demanded it.

Microsoft never bothered to relist Fable 3 either once it ran out of digital copies to sell.

And then you have the issue of cross play, you can fire up Halo Wars DE on Steam and you will not be able to play with those from the Windows store... Considering that game has a non-existent multiplayer population, that's a big oversight, same thing happened with Gears.

Fact is the Windows store is garbage, it's a better attempt than Games for Windows Live, but it's not a store that PC gamers have resonated with... And I am glad Microsoft is embracing Steam again.

DonFerrari said:

I may be wrong but no matter how flexible it is, usually if something is designed for one purpose all other use will be less optimal. So I don't think it will be anywhere near that we will get games tossing out RT to use those cores (that probably won't run up the processing capability of what the other parts of the GPU) to do other stuff a little better.

For me seems more like a situation of the X360 vs PS3, that they got the "free AA solution" because of the differences of the GPU, and instead of using that power to something else that would give they more headaches they just used a good AA standard for most games.

The free AA didn't stick around forever though. Later in the Xbox 360's life developers didn't bother to use it, instead opting for Morphological Anti-Aliasing which is just a post-process filter because it was cheap, they then used that resource for other tasks.

goopy20 said:

While MS made 2 lack luster Gears games with a 82 metacritic score that sold 20 times less of what Gears 3 did. 

I thought Gears 5 did well and was a return to form?

haxxiy said:

It might be a good downclock, like it happened with the PS3's RSX, for all we know ¯|_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, it necessarily has to do with clocks this late in the game. Or maybe disabled parts of the chip, if you're really feeling it's your lucky day to bet.

(Some rumors once circulated about the PS4 doubling its RAM because 2 gb chips were suddenly available in 2013 and yadda yadda but these have been dismissed since).

The 2GB chips didn't just appear overnight either, they were on roadmaps for a long time and DRAM manufacturers were stockpiling at some point as well, Sony had a heads-up well in advance before the Playstation 4 launched.

Trumpstyle said:

Or Sony are having a hard time hitting 2ghz on their chip.

According to Redgamingtech this is the PS5 devkit and it looks very similiar to oberon.

I guess it's possible you and itsmeintel are correct that Oberon is just an old chip that Sony is currently using in their devkits and they are making a new chip to hit 11TF if redgamingtech is correct.

RedGamingTech is not an outlet I would take seriously.
They waffle on about every single possible rumor, nuance and speculation and often try to assert it as fact and tend to favor AMD over Intel and nVidia.

Mr Puggsly said:

That's exactly the point I am making. Many in the west simply opt for consoles because its a relatively cheap box that's easy to use. Console gamers aren't gonna buy more expensive PCs to play Xbox games. Meanwhile people who buy expensive PCs aren't necessarily interested in buying a Xbox under any circumstance. Millions apparently own Halo Reach on PC now, safe bet most of that is not Xbox owners.

Maybe Gamepass on PC also looks like a better deal if you live in a region where gaming, especially console gaming is expensive. They are bringing the service to a lot of countries Xbox simply isn't that relevant.

People say MS needs to reach out internationally with Xbox, but I don't think its realistic for various reasons. The easiest way to get more people playing their games and potentially trying Gamepass is put it on a popular platform internationally, PC.

Not all PC's are expensive.

PC Games are cheaper.

I think outside of Western Markets, Microsoft leveraging the PC is probably their best bet, because lets face it... They are never going to be taken seriously in places like Japan, so with you there.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

They waffle on about every single possible rumor, nuance and speculation and often try to assert it as fact and tend to favor AMD over Intel and nVidia.

DevUnits usually try to mimick the final target as reasonably as possible with whatever generic PC technology is available at the time.

In the case of the PS5 DevUnit (or a DevUnit at some point in time since there often are several varieties as time goes along), it simply contains an AMD XT5700, badly overclocked to 2GHz to get to 9.2TFlops.

This is the sole reason for all those "insider trolls", many of which even report the 8GByte ram bit (of the XT5700).

All it tells us that the PS5 units by this year's end will be in the >= 9.2TFlop region.

(This value is good enough for a next-gen console thanks to all the rest that comes along with it. Of course we'll see an endlessly annoying pr train, MS will be yelling about "the most powerful console" at any possible event and non-event, and the games that come along with it, almost all having a "Halo" or a "Forza" somewhere in their names..).

Last edited by drkohler - on 06 January 2020

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

In western countries, I imagine people having a gaming PC and a current gen consoles is somewhat common. Globally many PC gamers are not using consoles for various reasons. Either way, there is a larger audience MS can reach supporting PC than Xbox could ever alone.

Obviously you are only speaking in hypothetical's rather than asserting it as definitive?

Mr Puggsly said:

MS isn't just in the services business, they also rely on revenue generated by software sales. Hence, their sales can increase from PC support and they can push Gamepass there as well.

They don't receive a cut of the vast majority of software sales on PC, they do receive a cut from all sales on Xbox.

Mr Puggsly said:

Steam is still the king of digital gaming sales, but there are other stores selling popular games not found on Steam. Therefore PC gamers are becoming accustom to using programs beyond Steam. More people are now using the Microsoft Store because it has great games being added, but MS still adds some games to Steam to generate revenue.

Irrelevant. There have always been multiple stores on PC. The bulk of sales is still Steam and will continue to be Steam for the immediate future.

Microsoft has also historically tried to skip Steam in order to favour their own distribution store, Halo Wars 2 and Gears of War 4 being a prime example.
Titles like Age of Empires: Definitive edition also didn't get a Steam release until much much later... Mostly because people demanded it.

Microsoft never bothered to relist Fable 3 either once it ran out of digital copies to sell.

And then you have the issue of cross play, you can fire up Halo Wars DE on Steam and you will not be able to play with those from the Windows store... Considering that game has a non-existent multiplayer population, that's a big oversight, same thing happened with Gears.

Fact is the Windows store is garbage, it's a better attempt than Games for Windows Live, but it's not a store that PC gamers have resonated with... And I am glad Microsoft is embracing Steam again.

goopy20 said:

While MS made 2 lack luster Gears games with a 82 metacritic score that sold 20 times less of what Gears 3 did. 

Mr Puggsly said:

That's exactly the point I am making. Many in the west simply opt for consoles because its a relatively cheap box that's easy to use. Console gamers aren't gonna buy more expensive PCs to play Xbox games. Meanwhile people who buy expensive PCs aren't necessarily interested in buying a Xbox under any circumstance. Millions apparently own Halo Reach on PC now, safe bet most of that is not Xbox owners.

Maybe Gamepass on PC also looks like a better deal if you live in a region where gaming, especially console gaming is expensive. They are bringing the service to a lot of countries Xbox simply isn't that relevant.

People say MS needs to reach out internationally with Xbox, but I don't think its realistic for various reasons. The easiest way to get more people playing their games and potentially trying Gamepass is put it on a popular platform internationally, PC.

PC Games are cheaper.

I think outside of Western Markets, Microsoft leveraging the PC is probably their best bet, because lets face it... They are never going to be taken seriously in places like Japan, so with you there.

Hypothetical? Not so much, we know PC gaming and console gaming is common in the west. In many countries consoles can be cost prohibitive so they opt for PC.

I wasn't suggesting MS gets money from all PC software sales, I was saying MS relies on revenue from sales of their games along with Gamepass subscriptions on PC. Certainly revenue has increased with the added PC support.

Not irrelevant, in the past Steam got almost every major game. Over the years that declined as more companies began making their own store fronts and even paying for games to stay off Steam.

MS has skipped Steam for numerous games at this point, but some have eventually been brought over. Again, I said Steam is still the king in that market but it also loses revenue from developers opting to sell their own content.

We already discussed Fable 3 in the past. I suggested the biggest reason you can't buy it anymore is GFW is dead and difficult to get working.

Windows Store is okay. Its better than GFW and more active. Its worth noting its also a popular store for playing mobile games on a Windows device. Many of the popular games in that store is not stuff you'll find on Steam.

Goopy makes a good point. Gears 5 only scored a 84, that means its trash.

I agree not all PCs are expensive. In fact, many of the most active PC games don't require great specs. If you want to play AAA games though the cheapest route with good results is often a console during a holiday price cut.

I agree PC games tend to be cheaper, also easier to steal. A big reason PC is popular in some regions.

Xbox would be taken seriously in Japan if it had many games they wanted exclusively. Playstation only thrives in Japan because of great 3rd party support, certainly not because Japan loves Sony games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Hypothetical? Not so much, we know PC gaming and console gaming is common in the west. In many countries consoles can be cost prohibitive so they opt for PC.

Provide the evidence then.

Mr Puggsly said:

I wasn't suggesting MS gets money from all PC software sales, I was saying MS relies on revenue from sales of their games along with Gamepass subscriptions on PC. Certainly revenue has increased with the added PC support.

Whether it ends up being worth the trouble, we need to wait and see... Or Microsoft might do a pigeon on a chess board again and just shit on everything, scrapping the lot.

Mr Puggsly said:

We already discussed Fable 3 in the past. I suggested the biggest reason you can't buy it anymore is GFW is dead and difficult to get working.

Works fine without Games for Windows Live working.

Mr Puggsly said:

Windows Store is okay. Its better than GFW and more active. Its worth noting its also a popular store for playing mobile games on a Windows device. Many of the popular games in that store is not stuff you'll find on Steam.

There are is allot of restrictions associated with the Windows Store that simply makes Steam a better outlet for gamers and gaming.

Mr Puggsly said:

Goopy makes a good point. Gears 5 only scored a 84, that means its trash.

I own it and played it, trash isn't the word I would use to describe it.
This is why console wars are pretty funny for PC gamers.

Mr Puggsly said:

I agree not all PCs are expensive. In fact, many of the most active PC games don't require great specs. If you want to play AAA games though the cheapest route with good results is often a console during a holiday price cut.

All games don't require great specs, PC games can scale downwards.
In-fact there is an entire community devoted to such a practice to see how low they can go in regards to getting games running on ancient, low-end hardware.

Mr Puggsly said:

I agree PC games tend to be cheaper, also easier to steal. A big reason PC is popular in some regions.

Console modding is popular in some regions as well, was more prevalent in the 6th gen I imagine as you don't really hear about mod chips for consoles much anymore.

Mr Puggsly said:

Xbox would be taken seriously in Japan if it had many games they wanted exclusively. Playstation only thrives in Japan because of great 3rd party support, certainly not because Japan loves Sony games.

Microsoft tried to bring games that would appeal to Japanese gamers, like Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Resonance of Fate, Final Fantasy, The Last Remnant, Nier, Phantasy Star, Star Ocean, NiER, Resonance of Fate... And I have probably forgotten a heap more.

Japan is just a market that is pretty xenophobic, so they opt for their own products/platforms first and foremost where possible, hence why Nintendo and Sony just can't do any wrong over there.

Microsoft is never going to be relevant in Japan, personally I think they should stop wasting their time and money and use their other platforms to make inroads there.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Mr Puggsly said:

DonFerrari said:

I may be wrong but no matter how flexible it is, usually if something is designed for one purpose all other use will be less optimal. So I don't think it will be anywhere near that we will get games tossing out RT to use those cores (that probably won't run up the processing capability of what the other parts of the GPU) to do other stuff a little better.

For me seems more like a situation of the X360 vs PS3, that they got the "free AA solution" because of the differences of the GPU, and instead of using that power to something else that would give they more headaches they just used a good AA standard for most games.

The free AA didn't stick around forever though. Later in the Xbox 360's life developers didn't bother to use it, instead opting for Morphological Anti-Aliasing which is just a post-process filter because it was cheap, they then used that resource for other tasks.

goopy20 said:

haxxiy said:

It might be a good downclock, like it happened with the PS3's RSX, for all we know ¯|_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, it necessarily has to do with clocks this late in the game. Or maybe disabled parts of the chip, if you're really feeling it's your lucky day to bet.

(Some rumors once circulated about the PS4 doubling its RAM because 2 gb chips were suddenly available in 2013 and yadda yadda but these have been dismissed since).

The 2GB chips didn't just appear overnight either, they were on roadmaps for a long time and DRAM manufacturers were stockpiling at some point as well, Sony had a heads-up well in advance before the Playstation 4 launched.

Trumpstyle said:

Or Sony are having a hard time hitting 2ghz on their chip.

According to Redgamingtech this is the PS5 devkit and it looks very similiar to oberon.

I guess it's possible you and itsmeintel are correct that Oberon is just an old chip that Sony is currently using in their devkits and they are making a new chip to hit 11TF if redgamingtech is correct.

Mr Puggsly said:

PC Games are cheaper.

It is funny that the company that is being regarded as the savior of cross-platform multiplayer gaming restricted multiplayer among who bought through windows store and steam.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
method114 said:

they wouldnt. if thats ms's strategy than its a horrible one.

Do PC gamers generally buy consoles in general? There are parts of the world where many opt for PC over console as well.

People on the internet fake concern about Xbox losing sales to PC. However, I imagine MS is instead focusing on the audience that may not do much if any console gaming.

For example, Halo MCC is becoming a huge is hit on PC likely because many who just game on PC finally have access to it. An audience that wasnt going to buy an Xbox under any circumstance. Hence, more revenue via an audience that may not use consoles.

Why are people buying Halo MCC now? Why didnt they buy a X1 years ago to play it? Maybe because they dont want to use consoles. Maybe?

Yes they do, they buy Nintendo consoles and Playstation consoles to play games they can't play on their PC for a low price entry. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

exclusive_console said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Why would a PC gamer buy a Series X?

If Xbox is 12tf RDNA that is equivalent to 15+tf on GCN. TBH I will be surprised if this is true but these are amazing specs even for 600$ console. Moreover I think they are going to release all their exclusives on gamepass ? Not sure how Microsoft is going to make money but it is great value for consumer. It even looks like mini ATX case.

So a powerful machine that will become outdated with no upgradability? Can't add any extra ram, can't overclock, can't sell your GPU to buy a newer GPU for a low price?

Seems like it doesn't have any the benefits of a PC that PC gamers choose PC for. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

MS bought the rights of Gears because Epic wanted to focus on other projects. 3 Years later, Epic launched Fortnite, one of the most popular games of all time with 250m players and billions of yearly revenue. While MS made 2 lack luster Gears games with a 82 metacritic score that sold 20 times less of what Gears 3 did.   

There's no arguing taste, of course, and I did enjoy Halo and Gears. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see something different from MS's first party studios. I mean the next gen is about to start and MS still has only Halo, Forza and Gears to persuade people to buy their console instead of Sony's. What's worse is that both Halo and Gears are seeing a downwards trend in sales and review scores. While Sony has been hitting home runs with new ip's, both in critical acclaim and sales, for years. 

Right, Epic made a fortune with Fortnite. Does that mean Epic can only work on a single project at once? Epic also sold Gears well before Fortnite became a success. At that point they were working on multiple projects, not just Fortnite.

Okay, you're saying a bunch of nonsense now. On Metacritic Gears Ultimate got a 82, Gears 4 got a 84 and Gear 5 got a 84. All respectable scores for products that don't necessarily appeal to critics. Fortnite on PS4 had 78 when it launched.

Gears 4 or 5 didn't sell as much as Gears 3, but does that mean they're failures? Absolutely not. Your assumption of "sold 20 times less than Gears 3" is incorrect.

Are we now pretending mega popular IPs are now the only incentive to buying a console? They have the IPs you mentioned, Hellblade 2 was announced, Outer Worlds sequel may be exclusive, Obsidian and Rare showed new IPs and its safe to assume other new IPs will come. Then you have the biggest reason people buy Playstation and Xbox consoles, multiplat games like Fortnite.

MS claimed Gears 5 sold great, but I'm sure you'll be skeptical about that. Meanwhile Halo Infinite could be a great success. I don't think these IPs will break records, but they seem to do well.

What is this about anyway? Are you under the impression I am trying to have a console war debate? Grow up, I'm just looking at the facts as a consumer that enjoys both really.

I wouldn't necessarily call Gears 5 a failure. But if Uncharted 5 came out and scored a 82 on Metacritic, while selling 20 times less than part 3, I'm sure Sony wouldn't consider it a success either. And no I'm not making that up...

As analyst Daniel Ahmad notes, Gears of War 4 sold 4.5 times better in its launch week, and Gears of War 3 – at the height of the Xbox 360’s success sold 20 times better.

Truth is that MS has historically failed in running their first party franchises and studios. I mean why do you think Bungie left them or why 95% of the original staff of Rare left the company? MS simply doesn't give their developers the creative freedom to persue new franchises. That's why MS is never going to beat Sony with their exclusives. Therefore, it would make sense for MS to release a more powerful console next gen as that would at least be a proper reason to pick the next Xbox over the ps5. I've never seen any numbers on how the Xbox one X sold compared to the ps4 pro, but I'm guessing the X outsold the pro. If the same thing will happen with a mass market "regular" console is the question, of course. Especially if they plan to sell it for $599 or more, but I get MS's logic behind it. 

goopy20 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Right, Epic made a fortune with Fortnite. Does that mean Epic can only work on a single project at once? Epic also sold Gears well before Fortnite became a success. At that point they were working on multiple projects, not just Fortnite.

Okay, you're saying a bunch of nonsense now. On Metacritic Gears Ultimate got a 82, Gears 4 got a 84 and Gear 5 got a 84. All respectable scores for products that don't necessarily appeal to critics. Fortnite on PS4 had 78 when it launched.

Gears 4 or 5 didn't sell as much as Gears 3, but does that mean they're failures? Absolutely not. Your assumption of "sold 20 times less than Gears 3" is incorrect.

Are we now pretending mega popular IPs are now the only incentive to buying a console? They have the IPs you mentioned, Hellblade 2 was announced, Outer Worlds sequel may be exclusive, Obsidian and Rare showed new IPs and its safe to assume other new IPs will come. Then you have the biggest reason people buy Playstation and Xbox consoles, multiplat games like Fortnite.

MS claimed Gears 5 sold great, but I'm sure you'll be skeptical about that. Meanwhile Halo Infinite could be a great success. I don't think these IPs will break records, but they seem to do well.

What is this about anyway? Are you under the impression I am trying to have a console war debate? Grow up, I'm just looking at the facts as a consumer that enjoys both really.

I wouldn't necessarily call Gears 5 a failure. But if Uncharted 5 came out and scored a 82 on Metacritic, while selling 20 times less than part 3, I'm sure Sony wouldn't consider it a success either. And no I'm not making that up...

As analyst Daniel Ahmad notes, Gears of War 4 sold 4.5 times better in its launch week, and Gears of War 3 – at the height of the Xbox 360’s success sold 20 times better.

Truth is that MS has historically failed in running their first party franchises and studios. I mean why do you think Bungie left them or why 95% of the original staff of Rare left the company? MS simply doesn't give their developers the creative freedom to persue new franchises. That's why MS is never going to beat Sony with their exclusives. Therefore, it would make sense for MS to release a more powerful console next gen as that would at least be a proper reason to pick the next Xbox over the ps5. I've never seen any numbers on how the Xbox one X sold compared to the ps4 pro, but I'm guessing the X outsold the pro. If the same thing will happen with a mass market "regular" console is the question, of course. Especially if they plan to sell it for $599 or more, but I get MS's logic behind it. 

PS4Pro is about 20% of the sales of PS4 total since launch. So let's say PS4 total 5:1 PS4Pro. In VGC PS4 total have done about 3:1 against X1 total.

So let's say that for a total 1M PS4 sold PS4Pro was 200k, and X1 would then be 350k. So X1X would need to be 200k+ of 350k total or 57% of X1 total (and being X1 sold for 199 or less, with SAD making strong sales, and X1X 499 I think it doesn't make for over half of the total of X1 sales).

So with this data in hand I think PS4Pro outsells X1X even if X1X plays the better version of multiplats for 100 USD more investment on HW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

goopy20 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You suggested Gears 3 sold 20 times better than Gears 4. But now you're saying at launch Gears 3 at sold 20 times better. In semi educated opinion, that all sounds like bullshit.

According to this site, which only has physical numbers. Gears 3 sold 6.22 million, while Gears 4 sold 3.38 million. When it comes to actual digital sales its very likely Gears 4 has an edge there given digital sales became more common on X1. So this Gears 3 selling 20 times more argument just sounds like bullshit. Also, Phil claimed Gears 5 sold better than Gears 4 which sounds strange, maybe he just meant launch numbers, but that's what he claimed.

Again, Bungie left to make a Halo clone with RPG elements. Meanwhile Rare had to evolve because the games that made them successful don't do well on Xbox. Some of Rare's greatest success has actually been with MS.

Sony's games haven't been that creative to be fair. Sony for the most part has just been interested in 3rd person story driven experiences. They're having more success now, but that doesn't mean they're being creative or diverse with genres or gameplay.

What I actually like about MS is their games actually do feel a little more diverse. Due to their content being more gameplay focused versus story driven, I spend more time with MS games. But to each their own. Also, MS has more studios now so I think you will see more unique projects coming from them. That includes the story driven experiences Sony fans seem to enjoy.

Currently I believe MS is gonna have the low end and high end console for the 9th gen. They're hyping a powerful console, but the masses want something more affordable that plays the same content.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 07 January 2020

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)