By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your GOTY for each year this decade 2010-2019 list em

For me this is my GOTY for each year. It was tough as there are games in each of these years I loved almost as much.

2010-VanQuish-The best TPS ever made and I keep rebuying it.

2011-Xenoblade- One of the best RPGs ever made and become one of my fave RPG series.

2012-The Last Story. I almost chose Kingdoms of Amular another overlooked fantastic RPG but TLS hit me in a more personal way and means more now that to date really is The Last Story Sakaguchi ever told on a home console.

2013- Dragon's Crown. I own this game 3 times. Vita, PS3, and PS4. I love this game and as a spiritual successor to one of my fave arcade games with Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom. I love Vanillaware and this is my fave game of theirs, even edging out Princess Crown on Saturn.

2014- Strider- a fantastic return to form for Strider series. I think it's up with Strider 2 as best in series. Double Helix did a fantastic job. Shame they were bought out by Amazon soon after and now they don't even exist. A close second was Bayonetta 2. I adore Bayo 2 but I had been wanting a Strider sequel forever.

2015-Xenoblade Chronicles X-ONe of my fave open worlds to explore. I also get mechs. My avatar is from this game. The story was lacking but I spent hundreds of hours exploring this massive world. I love the OST minus a few tracks. This needs a Switch port.

2016-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE-I love the Persona series. I am a sucker for games that use a similar setting and style. Digimon Cybersleuth, TMS and more. Is this the perfect blend of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei? Not really. However, it feels unique unto its own. It's lighthearted. Fun. Colorful. Great UI and music. Fantastic dungeons. One of the best turn-based battle systems ever. It's Persona lite as well. No social links but the other beats are there.

2017-Yakuza 0-Perfect introduction to the series. Never played a Yakuza game? Perfect place to jump in. Prequel to the rest of the series. It also might be the best in the series. One of the best video game stories ever told. 2017 was such a tough year to pick with Nier Automata, Persona 5, Xenoblade 2, BOTW and more. Y0, however, remains my favorite.

2018-whew oh man. This one is really tough. I loved the Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise, Xenoblade Torna, Ruiner, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and others very very much. I think I will go with Spider-Man on PS4. The game is not perfect as it has some dated Ubisoft open-world problems but it's still fun with a solid story and characters you care about. I still played it for a couple of weeks after I finished the story doing just random whatever.

2019-Astral Chain. Another tough year with Daemon X Machina, Hardcore Mecha, DMC5 and so many more amazing games. Astral Chain stands above them all. Platinum tried something a little different from an unproven director and they delivered. Their take on Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cyberpunk is a masterful game. I look forward to more games from this new director and esp an Astral Chain 2. Best game of 2019 that dealt with an Astral Plane.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Something like this:

2010 - Final Fantasy 13 (a game I both really love and kinda hate)

2011 - Dark Souls

2012 - Bravely Default

2013 - Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

2014 - Hyrule Warriors

2015 - Super Mario Maker

2016 - Dark Souls 3

2017 - Breath of the Wild

2018 - Octopath Traveler

2019 - Wargroove

I think I can do this list. A list I can do! Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment. And I may cheat a bit with release dates. I know the first game at least.

2010 - Just Cause 2

2011 - inFamous 2. - Probably my 3rd favourite game of all I played that year, but my #1 in terms of games I played that released in 2011.

2012 - Final Fantasy XIII. A 2010 game, but whatever.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 28 December 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

2010 - Fallout: New Vegas. The presentation of Fallout 3 with the RPG mechanics and mythology of the original games and Van Buren.
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Better use of motion controls even if it is a somewhat flawed experience.
2012 - Xenoblade Chronicles. Good open world mechanics and the start of a great new subseries in the Xeno metaseries. Xenogears was one of my favorite games of all time.
2013 - Ni no Kuni - beautiful Pokemon-style console RPG with Studio Ghibli design and music. Signified a return to the grand console JRPGs of the pre-2009 years.
2014 - Bayonetta 2. Even more stylish action than the first game.
2015 - Super Mario Maker. I enjoy these DIY level-creator games, and it was a dream of my young life to create my own Mario levels
2016 - Final Fantasy XV - a welcome return to form after the blunders of the FFXIII series
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. My favorite game of the entire decade.
2018 - Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Nice return to form for this series.
2019 - Dragon Quest XI S - Probably my favorite traditional RPG of the past two generations. The extra content in the Switch version is icing on the cake.

2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2

2011 - Kirby's Return to Dreamland

2012 - Style Savvy: Trendsetters

2013 - Super Mario 3D World

2014 - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

2015 - Undertale (close with Xenoblade Chronicles X)

2016 - Pokemon Sun

2017 - Super Mario Odyssey (close with Breath of the Wild and Style Savvy: Styling Star)

2018 - Kirby Star Allies

2019 - Luigi's Mansion 3 or Pokemon Sword, still digesting both games.

Around the Network

2010: Fallout New Vegas

2011: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2012: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

2013: Fire Emblem: Awakening (HM: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance)

2014: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

2015: Undertale

2016: Dark Souls 3

2017: Either Metroid: Samus Returns or Resident Evil 7

2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

2019: Devil May Cry 5

2010: NieR

2011: Dark Souls

2012: Dragons Dogma

2013: Ni No Kuni

2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition

2015: Bloodborne/ The Witcher 3 (I can't choose one over the other)

2016: Final Fantasy XV

2017: Persona 5/ Nier Automata (Again dont make me choose)

2018: Dragon Quest XI

2019: Kingdom Hearts III

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011: Pokemon Black/White
2012: Pokemon Black 2/White 2
2013: Pikmin 3
2014: Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
2015: Fire Emblem Fates
2016: Sweet fuck all. What a terrible year.
2017: Dragon Quest XI
2018: Overcooked 2
2019: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

2010 - Mass Effect 2 (very honorable mentions to Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption….tough year)
2011 - Crysis 2 (certainly far from the best game that year, but as it happens, I made quite a few life long friends on the multiplayer, so it wins by default)
2012 - Dragon's Dogma (again, probably not the best I played that year, but such a genuine surprise hit that it made a lasting impression)
2013 - Metro: Last Light (2013 was kinda weak imo, but Last Light was a standout)
2014 - Divinity: Original Sin (I didn't actually play this that year, so at the time, I would have given it to DA:I, but Divinity was definitely a superior game)
2015 - The Witcher 3 (still, arguably, the best game I've ever played)
2016 - Overwatch (I know it wasn't, but this kinda feels like the only game I played that year)
2017 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (the only other game I've played this gen that I loved as much as Witcher 3)
2018 - Monster Hunter: World (my first ever MH game, and I loved every minute of it...definitely addicting)
2019 - Sekiro (if you only ever play one FromSoft game, this is the one you should play)

2010: Pokémon Heartgold & Soulsilver
2011: Pokémon Black & White
2012: Pokémon Black & White 2
2013: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2014: Mario Kart 8
2015: Super Mario Maker
2016: Pokémon Sun & Moon, I guess...
2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018: Super Mario Party
2019: Super Mario Maker 2

Some years like 2013 and 2017 are full of great games, while some other years (2016 in particular) barely have anything. It feels weird to give a GOTY to Sun & Moon and not to X & Y.