By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2080 Max Q stronger than XSX/PS5 (Allegedly)

Throw enough money at it and I even expect a phone to be more powerfull.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Conina said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
Even if it is so what, then? It's hard to imagine that a gaming laptop can pose any threat to next gen consoles just because it is more powerful.Especially considering that gaming laptops is still very niche segment of laptop market.

According to the video (21:20) five million gaming laptops were sold last year in China, so probably more than 10 million gaming laptops worldwide, and it is a growing market. That doesn't sound very niche to me.

Jon Peddie Research also sees gaming PC revenue constantly growing:

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-releases/the-overall-cg-market-grows-to-150-billion-by-2022

I agree with the growth part. And it's great to see overall gaming market growing. But according to first found info on internet overall laptop sales are around 170 million which makes gaming laptops with it's 5-10m sales still look pretty niche. As for attached graph with total computer graphics market ($B) - it's pretty bad graph which doesn't really show anything. If we use Nvidia GPUs as an example, in 2014 the top of the line model was GTX980 which launched at $549 MSRP. In 2018 it was RTX 2080 Ti with $1199 MSRP. It's pretty clear why the revenue from GPU sales increased in that time frame. Still, my inital point was that it's great to see such powerful hardware in gaming laptops but what's the point with comparing it to next gen consoles if they don't really compete with each other. It's not like someone who wanted to buy a console to play on a TV would suddenly change his mind and go with a gaming laptop instead just because it is more powerful.

Ahhh next year will be great,

No new Nvidia graphic gaming gpus and both consoles will be above desktop geforce 2080 in gaming performance.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
...both consoles will be above desktop geforce 2080 in gaming performance...

...says random internet guy who believes every internet rumor of allegedly insiders like "Proelite" and "Oberon" and anonymous sources, but denies the statements of Nvidia's CEO (one of the most important corporations when it comes to GPUs).

As long as consoles for next gen are powerful enough I don't care much that a notebook is stronger than it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Conina said:
EricHiggin said:

Exactly. It's not like there's some hidden universal constraint against console hardware capabilities if they want to price themselves into bankruptcy. It's that they are designed to be simplistic and affordable to cater mostly to those who aren't hardcore into PC or mobile gaming.

The bigger story would be how could a $999 console outclass a $2,500 laptop? If $999 consoles existed that is.

I generally agree, but you are comparing 2019 prices with products which doesn't exist until November 2020.

Of course gaming laptops (and desktop PCs) which can compete with the new consoles will get a lot cheaper until November/December 2020.

Gaming laptops with 7nm RTX 3060 or RTX 3070 will probably have much less heating/throtteling problems than gaming laptops with 12 nm.

Ok but with a little guessing you could say a $499 console is going to closely compete with a $1,499 laptop. I think a $1,000 price drop by late 2020 would be generous enough no? And if they were to launch a $999 version of the console at the same time, it probably wouldn't be all that far off the newest $2,499 laptop specs.

It's a lesser gap, sure, but 1/3 the price is still amazing if you're a couch gamer.

$500 console vs $2500 laptop. Laptop wins. My laptop is better than an Xbox One X and it was cheap. Not hard to imagine. So what anyway? Exclusives will make some amazing looking games. God of War/Death Stranding/Ghost is on a base PS4. Astral Chain/ARMS/Luigi's Mansion on a mobile chip.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The price comparison was kinda not the point, more to keep people's assumptions on next gen in check. Super, duper powerful quotes, silly TF numbers get pretty tiresome.

I don't know people keep bringing price as a comparison when the form factor of laptop isn't going to be available on next gen home consoles.

The main point he made was, small lappy with 2080mq>Next Gen console.

2080 Max Q sounds like a new tampon.