By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2080 Max Q stronger than XSX/PS5 (Allegedly)

CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:

In real worlds  with more GPU across brand like OC version and better version (exm : using MSI GPU or better OC version ) will lead to even bigger gap. It's not hyperbolic . I have laptop GPU that in reality i experienced my self 

The funny thing is even on spec Max Q spec is better then RTX 2060 and is not " evenly comparable " LOL.

That last part just tells me that you truly have dug yourself deep enough and I'll spare having any more fun with it

However, the bold/underlined, explain it to me. What does all of that mean? Even bigger gap? Better OC version? Elaborate.

Is not like this stuff is  new or strange to you as 3D artist.  In Market you have OC version , a better binning GPU  or a better variant that will lead to  even  better result on gaming performance or graphic performances that you can choose. Unlike Laptop GPU which is already under clocked and pre determine quality, the RTX desktop will be more superior compared to Laptop variant.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:

Uh, you did read that, right til the end of the article ????

hmmm 

I've already proven you wrong, but to humor this a bit further, I'll do the work for you...

Performance

·The RTX 2080 Max-Q should be slightly faster than a regular mobile RTX 2070 and therefore a high end gaming graphics card. It should be able to run all demanding games in 4k with maximum details. Raytracing features however may reduce framerates a lot.

·The average RTX 2060 should be on par with a Radeon RX Vega 64 and between the GeForce GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 / 1070 Ti. Therefore, the RTX 2060 is most suited for 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 in demanding games.

You guys can cling to the 'watts' argument all you want, but the real world results show that this idea that the 2080 Max Q "isn't comparable" to a desktop 2060 is blatantly false.

Real world performance? we dont see it in any games.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-2080-Max-Q-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-Desktop-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q_9621_9556_9631.247598.0.html

^ here its very close to a 2060 normal card though, in 3D mark.
This is the one with a 90watt tpd, shown in benchmarks.

*edit again: 
Im honestly surprised if its able to get this close to the 2060, in real world usage, at only 90watts.
Because the 2060 can use like 180-190watts while gameing.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 December 2019

"This horse has died. I proved they were comparable, regardless of which comes out a few percentages ahead."

Yeah I accept that.
Im honestly surprised they can do that at a 90watt TDP.

Nvidia must have made good strides to lower power usage with these.

"There are games there, and the horse has died. I proved they were comparable. "

I dont wanna netpick but there really arnt any games in that link.
However it doing as close as it apparently does, in 3Dmark should be enough to prove they are comparable.

3DMark - Time Spy Score 2560x1440
3DMark - Time Spy Graphics 2560x1440
3DMark - Ice Storm Unlimited Graphics Score 1280x720 offscreen
3DMark - Ice Storm Extreme Graphics 1920x1080
3DMark - Cloud Gate Standard Score 1280x720
3DMark - Cloud Gate Standard Graphics 1280x720
3DMark - Fire Strike Score 1920x1080
ect. ect.

Unigine Valley 1.0 - Extreme HD DirectX 1920x1080
SPECviewperf 12
GFXBench
LuxMark

ect

Not 1 game is there.

*edit:

Apparently I didnt scroll down far enough >.<
rdr2, starwars jedi fallen order, ect.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 December 2019

CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:

Is not like this stuff is  new or strange to you as 3D artist.  In Market you have OC version , a better binning GPU  or a better variant that will lead to  even  better result on gaming performance or graphic performances that you can choose. Unlike Laptop GPU which is already under clocked and pre determine quality, the RTX desktop will be more superior compared to Laptop variant.

Yes, the Desktop 2080 is going to be faster than the Laptop variant (2080 Max Q - which is the like-for-like). Different from what we discussed. :P

As far as the variation of graphics cards, it's pretty simple. Most GPUs (particularly from NVIDIA) come as Founder's Editions, regular editions, or from board partners (ASUS, EVGA, MSI, etc.....). That's where you will find the Superclocked versions of cards or with extra (better) cooling parts. 

Not just desktop 2080 but 2060 also will be better or slightly better then 2080 max q (depend on board partners and clock speed) this is not hyperbole at all. 

CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:

Not just desktop 2080 but 2060 also will be better or slightly better then 2080 max q (depend on board partners and clock speed) this is not hyperbole at all. 

As noted, the hyperbolic statement was saying that you couldn't compare them. That it was a shut out in favor of the desktop proc (2060). I showed that wasn't the case and all I'm trying to get you to understand (since the basis of your pushback is really about the power of next gen consoles) is that they (NVIDIA) know the parts out, what's coming, and how it will compare to their own hardware.

which is we can agree and disagree , except for the bolded part.

which is they (Nvidia) truly hyperbole on their own , by comparing an underclocked 2060 performance GPU with 2500 USD price and comparing to console with 500 USD to 400 USD price with performance equal to RTX 2070/RX 5700 XT  which is above RTX 2060 (RX 5700 XT alone is better than 2070 non  RT games ).

They probably just speculate based on their knowledge and expertise for GPU alone, but the end result and overall performance on PC and console are different , especially when most of console work in tandem with CPU + GPU workload. CPU is a big factor on next gen.

That's why the statement from him is a mistake. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 28 December 2019

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
HollyGamer said:

which is we can agree and disagree , except for the bolded part.

which is they (Nvidia) truly hyperbole on their own , by comparing an underclocked 2060 performance GPU with 2500 USD price and comparing to console with 500 USD to 400 USD price with performance equal to RTX 2070/RX 5700 XT  which is above RTX 2060 (RX 5700 XT alone is better than 2070 non  RT games ).

They probably just speculate based on their knowledge and expertise for GPU alone, but the end result and overall performance on PC and console are different , especially when most of console work in tandem with CPU + GPU workload. CPU is a big factor on next gen.

That's why the statement from him is a mistake. 

Funny thing is, nowhere in this video did I hear him say anything specifically about next gen consoles. Where does he say it? This is on top of the fact that there's been no reveal of any specific console spec, but like I mention above, I want you to tell where he said anything and what it was specifically.

Probably OP put the wrong time stamp on the video. Just check other article many of them stating and reporting the same thing. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69462/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-faster-playstation-5-xbox-series/index.html

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1221669/PlayStation-faster-rival-PS5-Nvidia-RTX-Xbox-Series-X

" Evidence of this came in the form of the slide shown during the presentation, which compared a Lenovo Y900 Gaming device with a GeForce GTX 980M, with the newer Lenovo Y740 Gaming laptop sporting the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q graphics chip.

And the Max-Q device had a listed subject matter revealing that it was also faster than Next-Gen consoles.

And that means the likes of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, both of which will launch in 2020."

EDIT