By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Rise of BS - Star Wars Epi 9 SPOILERS

d21lewis said:
Now I know how TLJ fans must have felt. You could tell me a hundred things wrong with this movie. Hell, I just watched a 2.5 hour Angry Joe video that tore the film apart. I still like it. I don't care about the flaws. I had a good time and left the theater satisfied.

I've spent years telling people why they shouldn't like TLJ and I shouldn't have. If it gave you what you wanted then that's a great thing in these cynical times.

From start to finish. The movie was fine. Analyzing it afterward, however, the movie is garbage. TLJ was garbage through and through. 

Around the Network

9. Finn has something extremely important to tell Rey that it's a matter of life or death... then completely drops it and when its brought up again its secretive. I figured it was that he was force sensitive too but if that's the case BFD... why make it cause issues with one of your friends and keep it a secret?

Man... if only there was something Kenobi could have done in that dramatic scene of Phantom Menace of a wound very Similar to Ben's in RoS

Or something Anakin could have done for his mother 

AbbathTheGrim said:
I knew this movie was destined to be a mess after I saw The Last Jedi.

Which means you already tarnished yourself in taking the movie as it is and enjoying what it does.  If your thought process is already negative, then most time it would take a lot to change a person already predisposed opinion.

I on the other hand go into every movie only thinking about this movie and care little about anything else.  I remember after watching TLJ, my older son thought the movie was great until he had a chance to talk to his friends.  His friends had all kinds of negative opinions and when we talked about TLJ, his opinion changed.  I asked him why would you let someone outside opinion change your mind bringing up stuff that was not important to you when you considered the movie good.

I have not seen the movie yet but I also will not look at anyone's opinion until I get a chance to watch and decide on my own.  I thought TLJ was Ok, not complete garbage but nothing I would call friends to tell them to go watch this movie.  I want to go into ROS with the same mindset with no predisposed opinion outside of what the movie does.

DarthJarvis said:
9. Finn has something extremely important to tell Rey that it's a matter of life or death... then completely drops it and when its brought up again its secretive. I figured it was that he was force sensitive too but if that's the case BFD... why make it cause issues with one of your friends and keep it a secret?
DarthJarvis said: 

This is just bad on JJ Abrams’ part though. He mentions it but it never becomes a thing. You can speculate what he wanted to say but can’t really be mad about it because he never says it. JJ should’ve made him say it. Anyway, ROS has driven me more toward TLJ. TLJ has a lot in common with the original trilogy and tries to tell a story. ROS chickened out and instead of being something it just tried to undo TLJ. That was cowardly and it turned out to be more of a fan-made YouTube video than a stalwart end to an epic trilogy. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
DarthJarvis said:
DarthJarvis said: 

This is just bad on JJ Abrams’ part though. He mentions it but it never becomes a thing. You can speculate what he wanted to say but can’t really be mad about it because he never says it. JJ should’ve made him say it. Anyway, ROS has driven me more toward TLJ. TLJ has a lot in common with the original trilogy and tries to tell a story. ROS chickened out and instead of being something it just tried to undo TLJ. That was cowardly and it turned out to be more of a fan-made YouTube video than a stalwart end to an epic trilogy. 

It definitely seemed like JJ was reading every SW reddit comment and checking off the boxes. It was just a poorly written movie like you said. I hated the prequels when they came out but I just rewatched them. The acting was absolutely horrible but the plot was fine and the story proceeds in a coherent and logical way. 

Saw the film today, thought it was pretty good, which is pretty much how I see this whole trilogy. It's good. Worse than the original trilogy, but better than the prequel trilogy, not that the latter is much of an achievement. Overall, I'd rate all three of the films in this new trilogy somewhere between 3,5 and 4 stars out of 5.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I really enjoyed this movie.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

DarthJarvis said:

I think it's just that he loves her.. that's why he wouldn't tell Poe

The main problem with this new trilogy is the lack of a unified vision and that comes down to them not having any idea they were going with it when they started it. Then when they hired two different directors who obviously don't agree on what a Star Wars movie should be, it turned into a hot mess.

It can be simply illustrated with Kylo Ren's mask:

- J.J. Abrams thinks masks are cool so when he made The Force Awakens, he gave Kylo a mask.

- Rian Johnson thinks masks are stupid so first thing he does is make Snoke denigrate the mask and Kylo smash it in anger in The Last Jedi.

- J.J. Abrams comes back Rise of Skywalker and says "I SAID MASKS ARE COOL!" and Kylo welds his mask back together.

Hiring different directors would have been fine if they had a strict idea of what the story was going to be and tied the directors to it. After all, it worked splendidly with the first trilogy where Irvin Kershner stepped in for Empire Strikes Back and Rchard Marquand for Return of the Jedi and that was because George Lucas' vision was still present throughout all three films.

Signature goes here!