By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Tracking The Rise (Or Fall?) of Skywalker

Quick Friday update. ROS has dropped an estimated 71% from last Friday. While this isn't quite as big as a drop as TLJ saw, 76% from opening Friday, it is much worse than the 59% that TFA saw.

ROS currently sits at $316M. This is 1.7% below TLJ's $321.4M at the same point in time. If this continues, ROS will make $609.7M at the DBO. While it does appear that ROS will have slightly better legs compared to TLJ, it is important to note that ROS 1st full week was a holiday break, with the increases that come with it, whereas TLJ saw a holiday break on its 2nd week. I see ROS losing some ground when both film's 2nd week gets added.

At the FBO, ROS sits at $282.3M. This is 7.5% lower than TLJ's $305.2M at the same point in time. If this continues, ROS will make $658M at the FBO, and a WW total of $1.27B. Again, it looks like ROS has made up some ground in the FBO. Of course, it's also important to note that TLJ saw a release in China on Weekend 4, which is why it barely dropped from Weekend 3. ROS will not see this kind of boost, as it is was pretty much a WW launch in the major regions, so will continue steadily dropping each weekend. And while China didn't help much, it gave TLJ a total of $41.2m. ROS's total, on the other hand, will most likely not even match TLJ's opening there of $28.2M. It now sits at $15.1M after its entire 1st week.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
KLAMarine said:

Do they? They could very well still be in the hole as far as their Star Wars acquisition is concerned.

Cool graph, but like, box office isn't quite their only source of revenue.

How has merchandise done?

Shadow1980 said:
thismeintiel said:

Again, you're spouting fake news.  No one, at least to my knowledge, said it was a catastrophic failure at the box office.  What was said repeatedly is that it greatly underperformed, so quite using that line.  $1.8B was the expectation, but only did $1.33B.  That, and the loss in merch revenue is why TLJ was retconned in ROS.  If TLJ actually performed satisfactorily to Disney's expectations, and merch sales were of no concern, Disney would have continued on with the lore that TLJ created (or destroyed, however you want to look at it.)  But, they didn't, thus cementing that those that didn't like TLJ were not some small insignificant minority, as TLJ fans have been trying to say the past two years.  This fact cannot be ignored, now. 

And TLJ vs Endgame is apples to oranges.  Endgame was the culmination of 11 years worth of films that all saw success.  A lot of people rushed out to see the film to witness what some saw as the end of the Avengers storyline, and to avoid spoilers.  Regardless of what you want to say about legs, it still ended up the #1 movie WW, not taking inflation into account.  Even if you take inflation into account, it has TFA beaten WW.  When you open so big, $100M over TFA domestically, it's hard to not have a big drop off.   It also did better than the Avengers film that came before it.

TLJ was a movie that opened only 15% below its previous installment, which seemingly cemented the ~$1.8B.  It probably could have closed that gap if it was a better film.  Instead it came up ~$475M-$500M short of expectations and increased the gap to 36%.  And then increased that gap to 54% when it came to home video sales.

Sure, very few people explicitly said TLJ was a financial failure. But the way a lot of its haters harped on about it and all the general hyperbole coming from them, you'd swear they thought it was a failure. Also, don't talk to me about "fake news" after some of the stuff I've seen you say in other discussions. But that's not pertinent to the subject of box office revenues, so I'll leave it at that for purposes of this thread.

Re: TLJ vs. Endgame. Special pleading, as usual. Either legs matter or they don't. You can't just selectively decide when they do, regardless of whatever conjectures you may think justifies your decision to do so ("people want to avoid spoilers" can apply to just about any film in a major long-running franchise). Also, it's not like Endgame was the only MCU film—or popular film in general—to be very front-loaded, and they don't have the excuses you offer for Endgame. Plenty of popular movies with relatively weak legs don't get criticized for it, and conversely many movies with relatively strong legs don't get held up as examples of superb box office performance. As for me, I say legs aren't nearly as important as the lifetime gross, especially once you get so far out from opening day. Most major movies these days make 85%+ of their lifetime gross in the first four weeks anyway, so I argue that what happens past Week 4 isn't a huge deal. While money made after Week 4 can pad the lifetime gross a bit, whether a film makes, say, 90% of its lifetime gross in the first four weeks instead of 85% is more of an academic curiosity than an indictment of the film's performance. Could Endgame have had better legs? Maybe. Maybe not. There's no way to know for sure. And it's probably not important. Regardless of how good its legs were, it did very well, regardless of the overall shape of its box office curve. Same for TLJ. There's no reason to single out TLJ, which was my point in bringing up Endgame. But because it's Star Wars that puts a big target on its back for anyone who doesn't like it. It's cherry-picking at its finest.

Re: TLJ's opening weekend. Opening weekends are scattershot as hell when it comes to projecting lifetime grosses, regardless of any other factors. Even when trying to determine just the first full week's gross from the first weekend's involves a significant margin of error. That margin of error grows even more when trying to project a lifetime gross from just the first weekend. You can't just say, "Well, Movie B's opening weekend was 15% less than Movie A's, so it should have a lifetime gross about 15% less than Movie A." It's unreasonable to assume that any movie will keep pace proportionally with any other film, even if they're from the same series, because you rarely see any such similarity in their overall box office curves (it's just like how no two consoles have the same sales curve, to liken this to discussions on game sales). Especially in this case. TFA was one of the least front-loaded major films of the decade domestically, at least in terms of how much its lifetime gross was represented by its opening weekend (though if you look at post-Week 4 numbers, it was more front-loaded percentage-wise in its first month than many other blockbusters). And FWIW, sequels are often more front-loaded than their predecessors. This ties back into what I was saying about legs earlier.

Were you or anyone else serious expecting TLJ to gross $800M lifetime domestic (which would have put it at #3 or #4 for the whole series and #8 to #10 for all movies of the past 45 years) and $1.8B global? How is that in any way, shape, or form reasonable? I could see it have maybe gotten up to $650-675M domestic had it legged it out better past Week 3 (maybe even $700M in the absolute best-case scenario), and a global total of about $1.4-1.5B assuming an unchanged 46.5% domestic share. But anywhere close to $800M domestic and $1.8B global? No way. Only 12 films ever have passed an adjusted gross of $800M domestically (in 2019 ticket prices) for their initial theatrical releases, and of those only 7 of those were in the past 45 years (and of those only 3 were in the past 20 years). Not even TPM managed to do that (its adjusted domestic gross is currently about $764.8M, excluding re-releases) and it was the first new Star Wars film in 16 years after the OT ended.

TLJ did well, and to say it was a box office disappointment is an exaggeration, or at least a claim based on overly optimistic assumptions. You can say "But it's Star Wars" all you want. While people may want to put Star Wars (or at least the OT and the idea of Star Wars in general) on a pedestal, thinking that every movie in the series ought to be absolute god-tier box office monsters with legs so strong they'd put a kangaroo to shame, the idea that the second entry in any Star Wars trilogy ought to have only at most a modest drop from the first is simply placing unrealistic expectations upon it. I've already written about this at length to you multiple times in past threads (the home video thing was already discussed last year as well). I stand by my points and will not spend time reiterating them here.

If you want to continue this, I suggest we either create a new thread or resurrect the old TLJ box office thread, because I want to move on to The Rise of Skywalker now.

I have spoken.

Doesn't change the fact that you were misrepresenting what people were saying just for the sake of furthering your own narrative, aka fake news.

Avoiding spoilers may be applied to other films, but Endgame actually has the numbers to prove it.  I find it hypocritical that those who wanted to give TLJ every excuse in the book to defend its underperformance, won't even make this logical conclusion for Endgame, when the numbers actually prove it, just because it hurts their narrative.  It didn't open to 1.22B, only 8.3% below TLJ's entire run, then gross another $1.58B, 18.8% more than TLJ's entire run, because people hated it.

More importantly, did Marvel rush out to make another Avengers that completely retconned Endgame, even make fun of it, because it underperformed by $500M and saw their merch sales plummet?  Did the next Marvel film completely flop?  Nope.  This happened to TLJ, though.  So, you can make up any excuse in your head, but in the real world Disney was not happy with how the film performed and how it hurt the franchise.  I know that destroys the TLJ fans' theories about the haters being a small minority of basement dwelling women-hating alt-righters, but I guess it's time for you guys to wake up and smell the coffee.  We are not a minuscule minority.  And we exist all throughout the political spectrum.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 28 December 2019

Shadow1980 said:
thismeintiel said:

Doesn't change the fact that you were misrepresenting what people were saying just for the sake of furthering your own narrative, aka fake news.

Avoiding spoilers may be applied to other films, but Endgame actually has the numbers to prove it.  I find it hypocritical that those who wanted to give TLJ every excuse in the book to defend its underperformance, won't even make this logical conclusion for Endgame, when the numbers actually prove it, just because it hurts their narrative.  It didn't open to 1.22B, only 8.3% below TLJ's entire run, then gross another $1.58B, 18.8% more than TLJ's entire run, because people hated it.

More importantly, did Marvel rush out to make another Avengers that completely retconned Endgame, even make fun of it, because it underperformed by $500M and saw their merch sales plummet?  Did the next Marvel film completely flop?  Nope.  This happened to TLJ, though.  So, you can make up any excuse in your head, but in the real world Disney was not happy with how the film performed and how it hurt the franchise.  I know that destroys the TLJ fans' theories about the haters being a small minority of basement dwelling women-hating alt-righters, but I guess it's time for you guys to wake up and smell the coffee.  We are not a minuscule minority.  And we exist all throughout the political spectrum.

I see lots of conjecture and theorizing, but no solid data (you never even bother to cite your sources when asked). You can read whatever you want into the numbers. It's not like I can stop you. But the only ones with an agenda are people like you. You hate TLJ, so you need to do whatever you can to downplay its box office figures. It's just constant special pleading with you. If this was any other movie, nobody would say a goddamn thing about the overall shape of its box office curve, because nobody would have placed any unique or excessive expectations upon it. But, well, it was a Star Wars film, and some people take their dislike of anything that doesn't do Star Wars they way they like it way too seriously.

Since this is obviously going to turn into a rehash of "debates" past, I'm done here. Any future contributions I have to this thread won't involve replying to you. Just charts, data, and actual serious analysis.

Lol, what more solid data do you need than the film's performance (more like underperformance) and, most importantly, Disney's reaction to it?  You love the TLJ, so you will try to spin everything as a good for it, as well as come up with any excuse to give in its favor. 

You are welcome to post whatever you wish in here, but please don't come at this with the false promise of giving serious analysis.  When it comes to SW, or maybe it is just the TLJ, what you are giving is far from that.

All this talk of The Last Jedi somehow being this massive financial disappointment is doubly hilarious to someone who still has vivid memories of Star Trek: Nemesis failing to defeat one of J-Lo's lesser romcoms in its opening weekend, and then experiencing what at the time was the absolute worst second weekend of any major movie release in history. And people want to crow about how The Last Jedi being the #1 movie of its year and the 13th-highest-grossing movie (in unadjusted dollars) ever is some kind of under-achievement? Seriously...

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Despite an opening weekend that wasn't exactly record-breaking, TROS is definitely making up for that as it has been steadily closing the gap with TLJ. While I never collected any adjusted daily figures from BOM before they changed their site, current ticket prices are very close to what they were when TLJ was in theaters, so the difference for adjusted vs. non-adjusted should be minimal. Here's the non-adjusted grosses of TROS, TLJ, and, just for the hell of it, Rogue One:

Interesting bits of information here. TROS's first Monday-Thursday period was significantly better than TLJ's. Tuesday gross had a statistical tie with TLJ's first Tuesday, despite this Tuesday being Christmas Eve. Overall, despite its opening weekend falling 19.4% short of TLJ's, its first full week was only 2.3% short of TLJ's, another near-tie. Granted, a non-trivial piece of that was from Christmas Day, where TROS put up the second-biggest Christmas Day gross to date. Friday's gross for TROS was not much better than TLJ's second Friday, but this weekend should be better than TLJ's second weekend overall, seeing as TLJ didn't have to face down Christmas Eve until Sunday of its second weekend. I think after Sunday TROS will have the lead over TLJ. Of course, TLJ had its Christmas Day in Week 2, and between that and an overall extremely rare instance of a film's second Monday-Thursday period actually outperforming the first one, that presents a challenge for TROS for it own second Monday-Thursday period. Overall, TLJ dropped 43.3% in its second week. If TROS can manage even only a 40% WoW drop, that would put its LTD gross at about $463.7M, still maintaining a near-tie with TLJ. If the WoW drop for Week 2 is only 35%, that'll put it at over $478M, nearly 3% ahead of where TLJ was at after its first two weeks.

You correctly seem to notice that TLJ was actually up during weekdays after its second weekend exactly because of Christmas and the fact that school break had just begun, but seems to forget or at least underestimate that the same sort of boost has actually been a tremendous boon to ROS as well during the last few days (ROS, and Jumanji as well, considering it's way up WoW). It's not going to have the same factors going for it again come the 30th.

Take Aquaman, for instance, which released more or less on a similar time frame a few years ago and was 80% up WoW the monday school break begun, December 21, and 80% down the next monday, December 28. Giveth and taketh away, and all of that. Or the third The Hobbit movie, which was similarly down as the New Year dawned.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

I'll update when weekend numbers come in.  Of course, the big test will come next weekend, which saw The Force Awakens drop a mere 40% WOW, while TLJ dropped a whopping 67%.  Will ROS drop like TFA, or TLJ, or somewhere inbetween?

Still running the same narratives from 2 years ago I see.  As I pointed out to you long ago, The Last Jedi was hurt by the calendar.  Two of the worst box office days of the year, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve fell on a Sunday.  Additionally, many schools were still in session during its first week (and beyond that Jumanji became a breakout hit).

Without Christmas shopping eating away its first weekend, Rise of Skywalker will surely do better than The Last Jedi this weekend.  But I can further make a confident prediction that The Last Jedi will do much better on weekdays next week.

It's fairly easy to predict these things, and it probably cost The Last Jedi about $75-100 million that it could have gotten if it had the same calendar as The Force Awakens which had Christmas on a Friday and no competition, which is just a perfect setup for maximizing box office.

Only problem with your theory is that Fri, which had nothing on the calendar going against it, saw a drop of 76% compared to TFA's 59%.  And sure, Christmas Eve isn't the greatest day for the box office in the holidays, but don't act like no one goes out to watch movies on that day.  The TFA dropped 28% on Xmas Eve from the day prior, and still made $27.4M.  ROS dropped 31%, making $20.3M.  TLJ dropped 40%, making $17.6M. 

Even if you wish to move the money around to give the 2nd weekend a smaller drop, which would just mean a larger drop the 3rd weekend, it isn't going to change how it ended up performing as a whole.  People who would have gone Xmas Eve would have just watched it days later, maybe the following weekend, which actually seems to be what happened.  In the end, it would have ended up with same total and be seen in the same light.  As an underperforming disappointment that hurt the franchise and was worthy of a retcon just two years later.  And not just by people who didn't like it, but by Disney, as well.

OlfinBedwere said:

All this talk of The Last Jedi somehow being this massive financial disappointment is doubly hilarious to someone who still has vivid memories of Star Trek: Nemesis failing to defeat one of J-Lo's lesser romcoms in its opening weekend, and then experiencing what at the time was the absolute worst second weekend of any major movie release in history. And people want to crow about how The Last Jedi being the #1 movie of its year and the 13th-highest-grossing movie (in unadjusted dollars) ever is some kind of under-achievement? Seriously...

I suggest you get up with Disney, then.  Tell them to stop looking at it as a disappointment that needed to be retconned and made fun of.  They're just the ones that saw the financial decline of the series, after all.  What do they know.

thismeintiel said:

I suggest you get up with Disney, then.  Tell them to stop looking at it as a disappointment that needed to be retconned and made fun of.  They're just the ones that saw the financial decline of the series, after all.  What do they know.

What financial decline? If you're talking about the fact that Star Wars movies no longer completely smash every other movie of their year out of sight at the box office, guess what - that happened while Lucas was still in control of the franchise. Attack of the Clones was only the fourth highest-grossing movie of its year, and Revenge of the Sith may have topped the domestic box office for its year, but lost out to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire worldwide.

Weekend estimates are in and ROS dropped 59% from last weekend. Not as bad as TLJ's 67%, but much worse than TFA's 40%. As I stated before, it's important to note that this week was a holiday week, which usually comes with boosts, since school and some workplaces are closed. This makes the 59% look even worse. As a comparison, Jumanji actually made 33% more than last week. While no one was expecting the 2nd weekend for ROS to beat its opening, the holiday should have drastically decreased its decline. TLJ dropped just 27% on the same weekend in 2017.

ROS made an estimated $72M this weekend, for a total DBO take of $361.8M. This is 1.7% lower than TLJ's total of $368.2M for the same point in time. If this continues, ROS will end up with a DBO total of $609.7M.

ROS now sits at an estimated $363M at the FBO. This is 4.5% lower than TLJ at this point in time. If this continues, ROS will end up with a FBO total of $680.3M. A WW take of $1.29B.

OlfinBedwere said:
thismeintiel said:

What financial decline? If you're talking about the fact that Star Wars movies no longer completely smash every other movie of their year out of sight at the box office, guess what - that happened while Lucas was still in control of the franchise. Attack of the Clones was only the fourth highest-grossing movie of its year, and Revenge of the Sith may have topped the domestic box office for its year, but lost out to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire worldwide.

Look at the bold.  That is the answer to any excuse you try to come up with for the film.