By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's success with the Switch both a blessing and a curse?

SammyGiireal said:
Nintendo really just dropped out of the console market but didn't tell anyone. The Switch might hit close to 50 mill units by the time the holidays end. With that installed base...I sincerely doubt many 3rd parties won't attempt bringing games to it (cutbacks and all). Nintendo is in a really good place right now.

I wouldn't say dropped out but rather reinvented what a video game console is.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
scottslater said:
KLXVER said:

The fact that GTAIV sold more on the 360 surprise me. Im not sure why you don't believe the PS3 sold 80M though. Could be there were just a more diverse audience on the PS3.

I changed my statement to further clarify what I meant about the PS3 sales, it sold a lot at the end of it's life and I feel that was because Microsoft pissed a lot of their player base off with how they handled the Xbox One and it's announcement.  Still have a hard time believing those 80 million units saw full "use" in the generation if that makes sense.

Guess I just thought it was one of those things that gamers mostly agree on. Like:

Nintendo is innovative

Sega was ahead of their time

Enix ruined Square

PlayStation is the biggest brand

EA can eat a dick

Guess there are other factors to consider.

KLXVER said:
scottslater said:

I changed my statement to further clarify what I meant about the PS3 sales, it sold a lot at the end of it's life and I feel that was because Microsoft pissed a lot of their player base off with how they handled the Xbox One and it's announcement.  Still have a hard time believing those 80 million units saw full "use" in the generation if that makes sense.

Guess I just thought it was one of those things that gamers mostly agree on. Like:

Nintendo is innovative

Sega was ahead of their time

Enix ruined Square

PlayStation is the biggest brand

EA can eat a dick

Guess there are other factors to consider.

Agree with most of those, Nintendo I feel is the "bigger" brand when you take hardware and software into consideration because PS is really propped up by 3rd party games right now (CoD, RDR, FIFA, Madden, etc).

Just take a gander at the top 20 games of 2018:

(If you combine Let's Go it is at 7,294,966 good for 6th)

The majority of people buying the PS4 don't buy it for PlayStation games and that is the case for the last 2 generations, so Sony's position is very fleeting (just ask Microsoft after they fell HARD).

Anybody made that board of things that will kill the Switch?

We reap what we sow

scottslater said:
SammyGiireal said:
Nintendo really just dropped out of the console market but didn't tell anyone. The Switch might hit close to 50 mill units by the time the holidays end. With that installed base...I sincerely doubt many 3rd parties won't attempt bringing games to it (cutbacks and all). Nintendo is in a really good place right now.

Well they consolidated both their home and portable efforts into one system. Which is an impressive portable and a less impressive console Because Nintendo really intended for it to continue their portable Legacy. The Switch Lite drives that point home. Nintendo really left the strict home console bussiness after the Wii U flop.

Around the Network
scottslater said:

can't find the data at this moment but if memory serves correctly the PS3/Xbox 360 still sold extremely well during the PS4/Xbox One early launch years (like 15+ million units per year).

This is 100% untrue

2014 (PS4/XBO first full year)

PS3-3.6m

360-2.6m

2015 (PS4/XBO second full year)

PS3-1.3m

360-0.9m

They basically died as soon as their successors launched.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

SammyGiireal said:
scottslater said:

Well they consolidated both their home and portable efforts into one system. Which is an impressive portable and a less impressive console Because Nintendo really intended for it to continue their portable Legacy. The Switch Lite drives that point home. Nintendo really left the strict home console bussiness after the Wii U flop.

Absolutely I agree. The Switch is not a home console, it is a mobile system with a dock. Nintendo did drop out, sadly, and so high sales of the Switch need to be considered vs. the DS and 3DS etc., Nintendo is actually selling less hardware. Here's hoping the Switch success gives Nintendo some confidence to re-enter the home console market. I think they could do a very good job with the new style of hardware that the Switch pioneered.

For example: nVidia and ARM, no optical drive, no hard drive, just 1 or 2 cartridge slots. They could easily release a 7nm GTX 1660 Super based system in 2020 for $250 and I think it would sell really well just like the Wii did (would be faster than the Xbox One X).

The release of PS5/Scarlett will not harm the Switch any more than the release of a new luxury sports car will hurt sales of motorbikes. The last two and a half years clearly show it coexists with dedicated consoles without either stealing sales from the other.

160rmf said:
Anybody made that board of things that will kill the Switch?

Ah, the old chalkboard, I remember that one. 

Some suggestions for it:

"Not powerful enough"

"No games"

"Too expensive"

"Won't get the big AAA multiplats"

"No multimedia features"

"Used up all it's big IPs already"

"PS5/Scarlett"

SammyGiireal said:
scottslater said:

What do you consider "impressive" for a console? Because I can say that I have had more fun with the Switch as a console over as a handheld.  I get what you're saying but to dismiss the appeal of the Switch as a console is very short sighted.  It would take more than one bad console for them to abandon that or else we wouldn't have had the Wii after the GameCube... And as a console I find the Switch lineup better than what Xbox/PS offer right now (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Zelda: BotW, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Sw/Sh, Smash, Mario Kart, etc.)

zorg1000 said:
scottslater said:

can't find the data at this moment but if memory serves correctly the PS3/Xbox 360 still sold extremely well during the PS4/Xbox One early launch years (like 15+ million units per year).

This is 100% untrue

2014 (PS4/XBO first full year)

PS3-3.6m

360-2.6m

2015 (PS4/XBO second full year)

PS3-1.3m

360-0.9m

They basically died as soon as their successors launched.

2012/13 sales were still strong is what I meant as far as yearly years (announcement/release year), sorry for the confusion and that was a typo with per year, meant to say that final year.