By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's success with the Switch both a blessing and a curse?

d21lewis said:
I don't know. I mean games can and will always look better but (to me) the 8th gen had the smallest leap in graphics ever. I feel like 9th gen gaming will be there same outside of VR. I don't want to downplay frame rate and resolution but I feel the Switch will be capable of compelling visuals for at least a couple more years. Besides, the selling point is the concept, not the power.

I do worry about "what's next", though. Nintendo is going to have to come up with some new idea with their next hardware. I don't know what that could be. Hopefully not another Wii U misstep.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii U.  If they are smart, the Switch is the name they will stick with going forward.  Many people know what it is now and keeping their Console and Handheld under the same "name" would be best for them going forward IMO.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
scottslater said:
KLXVER said:

Well it is the brand that is the most consistent. Nintendo keep rebranding their consoles and handhelds.

Nintendo is the "brand".  I have a feeling though that the Switch brand is going to be the future for them going forward (Switch 2, Switch Pro, Switch Lite, etc) and they have learned their lesson with the Wii U.

Even if Nintendo is the brand, its still very inconsistent. Just look at GC to Wii or WiiU to Switch. PlayStation has 5 out of 6 systems selling over 80M. Nintendo is all over the place. Its still a strong brand and Nintendo do have several of the strongest IPs. I just think overall PlayStation is the strongest brand in the industry and have been since the PS1.

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

Well Steam and Game Pass are two very different things. Even if you do a discount on Steam, you still get money and you do have the choice of how much to discount it. Im not sure how Game Pass work, but Im guessing you get paid a fee upfront for your game and that's it. Now it doesn't matter how it fares and the physical and digital sales of your game will tank. Then people will just expect games to show up on Game Pass and not bother to buy games new. That will hurt MS a lot. I don't think they can support Game Pass and have a platform for third parties to thrive.

PS+ and Games with Gold have been around for a while and they haven't really changed anything. Besides, nowadays third parties do all sorts of DLCs and microtransactions, so the base game being "free" is a good method to bait people into spending money.

Yeah, maybe. Didn't really look at it that way. Good point.

KLXVER said:
scottslater said:

Nintendo is the "brand".  I have a feeling though that the Switch brand is going to be the future for them going forward (Switch 2, Switch Pro, Switch Lite, etc) and they have learned their lesson with the Wii U.

Even if Nintendo is the brand, its still very inconsistent. Just look at GC to Wii or WiiU to Switch. PlayStation has 5 out of 6 systems selling over 80M. Nintendo is all over the place. Its still a strong brand and Nintendo do have several of the strongest IPs. I just think overall PlayStation is the strongest brand in the industry and have been since the PS1.

Nintendo has 5 systems that crossed 80+ million as well... their focus was clearly handheld after the N64... they were able to not only thrive but grow in the face of much stiffer competition than what Sony has faced yet, cell phones and tablets... now that they are the last one standing in the handheld market and a singular focus (Switch brand) their console business will thrive (look at what they have pumped out in less than 3 years for games...)

KLXVER said:
scottslater said:

They're not all over the place with portables though with 3 out of 4 selling over 80m as a Hybrid Switch inherits this market and currently has a monopoly on it and is well on its way to being another 80m plus platform to the point it's possibly going to be a 100m platform which would make it Nintendo's fourth and overtake the PS brand as they're currently tied on that front which kind of is his point when it comes to brands.

Around the Network

Its like the 3DS Situation. It doesnt have the games you see on PlayStation or Xbox. It was able to sell millions because of the Exclusives from Nintendo and other 3rd party devs. That is how the consumer will view the Switch. The 3rd party games are a cherry on top for the Switch. If Nintendo keeps producing more exclusives then millions of Switch will still be sold.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Its like the 3DS Situation. It doesnt have the games you see on PlayStation or Xbox. It was able to sell millions because of the Exclusives from Nintendo and other 3rd party devs. That is how the consumer will view the Switch. The 3rd party games are a cherry on top for the Switch. If Nintendo keeps producing more exclusives then millions of Switch will still be sold.

Imagine if they did get those console carrying 3rd party games...

Switch's success really is a double edged sword.  On the one had it's super successful system that gamers really love.  On the other hand it also inspires people to invent more reasons why it's actually doomed.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch's success really is a double edged sword.  On the one had it's super successful system that gamers really love.  On the other hand it also inspires people to invent more reasons why it's actually doomed.

lol, you win the internet today good sir.

Switch didn't get to where it is because of horsepower, so I doubt that'll suddenly become a problem during the start of the next gen. Sure you could say the third party support might falter more but it hasn't been outstanding in the first place. There's always the potential for Switch exclusives, and the console thrives more on indies who tend not to stress power anyway. I think it'll still be selling strong until at least after x-mas of 2021 and maybe even 2022 before it starts to significantly decline. I don't think this console will have the weaker legs of the Wii given its handheld functionality and huge, diverse library.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden