By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's success with the Switch both a blessing and a curse?

True, “a whole gen behind” is an exaggeration, but in terms of it’s visuals and the kinds of games it can get I wouldn’t say it’s a wholly inaccurate description. It’s graphical capabilities are WAY closer to Wii U/PS3 than Xbox One/PS4, but it does have significantly more RAM and access to modern bells and whistles that make a lot of its modern ports possible. 

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:

True, “a whole gen behind” is an exaggeration, but in terms of it’s visuals and the kinds of games it can get I wouldn’t say it’s a wholly inaccurate description. It’s graphical capabilities are WAY closer to Wii U/PS3 than Xbox One/PS4, but it does have significantly more RAM and access to modern bells and whistles that make a lot of its modern ports possible. 

It's basically right in the middle (or close enough to not matter), closer to PS3/360 in some aspects while closer to PS4/XBO in other aspects.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
nuckles87 said:

It's basically right in the middle (or close enough to not matter), closer to PS3/360 in some aspects while closer to PS4/XBO in other aspects.

Yep; closer to PS3/360/Wii U in terms of raw horsepower, closer to PS4/Xbone in graphical features and RAM. Overall an interesting middle ground.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep; closer to PS3/360/Wii U in terms of raw horsepower, closer to PS4/Xbone in graphical features and RAM. Overall an interesting middle ground.

It makes me curious for Switch 2, in theory a 2023 release should put it somewhere in between PS4 & PS5 so NSW2 should get a bunch of PS4/XBO ports like how NSW gets a ton of PS3/360 ports.

Then on the other hand it could potentially get more PS5/XSX downports than NSW got from PS4/XBO since 3rd parties shouldnt be so caught off guard by its success and can factor it in from the start.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

It makes me curious for Switch 2, in theory a 2023 release should put it somewhere in between PS4 & PS5 so NSW2 should get a bunch of PS4/XBO ports like how NSW gets a ton of PS3/360 ports.

Then on the other hand it could potentially get more PS5/XSX downports than NSW got from PS4/XBO since 3rd parties shouldnt be so caught off guard by its success and can factor it in from the start.

Yeah. Overall, I think all this talk about the Switch being “doomed” by the onset of the next generation is simultaneously overestimating how quick the transition to next gen will be, and underestimating how soon Nintendo will be able to catch up. 2023 is a conservative estimate in my mind, but at most the Switch 2 should only have to deal with a couple years of being too underpowered for major games, before it’s successor comes out and inevitably closes the gap.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

One can hope; Switch has been successful for nearly 3 years now yet third party support leaves quite a lot of room for improvement.

goopy20 said:

After the Wii-U bombed it's amazing that Nintendo was able to come back so hard with the Switch. It probably could have beaten the ps4 this gen if it was launched at the same time as the ps4/Xone. The problem, however, is that next gen is just around the corner. Meaning the specs of the Switch will be even more dated next year and I wonder what kind of impact that will have on its sales and support from 3rd party developers. Nintendo could launch a more powerful next gen Switch, of course, but it will probably take a couple of years before they would be able to get next gen like hardware into a handheld device. 

So what you guys think. Will the Switch still sell like hotcakes when the next gen starts. And if not, should they continue down the path of a handheld device, even though they could only launch it halfway through the ps5/ Scarlett's life cycle?

Switch is really the successor of 3DS and Wii U, not just Wii U. Nintendo made the right choice by focusing on a single platform and mobile was the way to go.

I am not sure Switch could have existed in 2013 as it does. If so it would have been less powerful or more expensive. At that point Wii U was also just a year old, which inspired Switch.

Most of Switch's support from 3rd parties is low spec retro-ish games and ports of older games. Therefore support probably wont change much. It may become more difficult to port technically demanding 9th gen games to Switch, but some may still happen.

A Switch that makes significant performance upgrades is probably years away and there wouldnt be much motivation to support just the upgrade. OG Switch specs would be the lead.

Switch will continue to sell well just doing what it does. There is a market for portable Nintendo hardware and its exclusives.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 21 December 2019

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I agree, 2023 sounds pretty accurate but that is already halfway through the ps5 life cycle and Sony will likely have a 60m lead by then.

goopy20 said:

I agree, 2023 sounds pretty accurate but that is already halfway through the ps5 life cycle and Sony will likely have a 60m lead by then.

And? That ultimately wasn’t a problem for the Switch as it released halfway through the PS4 life cycle and during it’s peak year, but look how that turned out.

Secondly: In 2023, the PS5 will have only been out for barely 3 years and you expect it to already be at 60m? 20m a year, right out of the gate? I think you need to tamper your expectations just a little bit. The PS4 was barely passed 50m by that point. 

goopy20 said:
zorg1000 said:

Who cares? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, PS4 shipments were 60 million at the end of March 2017, the month Switch released.