By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The top 50 highest rated games on Metacritic of the decade

Does Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserve to be on top?

Yes 22 40.00%

No 22 40.00%

Maybe so 9 16.36%

Other game because.. (answer in thread) 2 3.64%

Total:55
JRPGfan said:
Mnementh said:
Interesting list. As I am interested in a bigger picture and also platform wars, I made a count:

PS4: 10
XBox 360: 8
PC: 7
PS3: 7
Switch: 6
Wii: 3
WiiU: 3
Xbox One: 3
3DS: 2
Vita: 1

Actually because xbox can play alot of XB360 games it isnt that badly off.
Also the PS4 has alot of these games even if no metion of PS4 is on it, in the list, it can still play those games.

Like PS4 can also play:
Celest, DQ11, FFXIV, Overwatch, Witcher 3 (blood &wine), ICO & shadow of the collossus, Journey, Divinity OS 2, Undertale, Witcher 3 (wild hunt), SFV,... ect ect.

On that list, its more or less only the Nintendo / xbox made exclusives the PS4 cant play.
So its not just PS4 = 10 games from list.

Out of that top50 list, PS4 can probably play like 35-40 of them.

That's why I think it's also important to make a distinction between studios, owned studios etc. However, Metacritic probably just lists the highest rated version of the same game, so that's how platform comes into play.

Around the Network

I actually like this list, for the most part. Bioshock Infinite is way too high on the list, though.

mZuzek said:
Persona 5 below Persona 4 is an ugly sight.

Why? Persona 4 is not a bad game in the least.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

mZuzek said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Because prejudice. I haven't even played Persona 4 to know, but from everything I've seen it looks like a very cringy game at best.

Persona 5 is Persona 5.

P4 was a really good game especially for its time it really built on what P3 brought and is probably the game responsible for providing a good position for P5 to follow on from, It also added a number of features that vastly improved the gameplay for the series.

I'd personally have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on top but Galaxy 2 is awesome so no biggie.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
I'd personally have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on top but Galaxy 2 is awesome so no biggie.

agreed.

mZuzek said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Because prejudice. I haven't even played Persona 4 to know, but from everything I've seen it looks like a very cringy game at best.

Persona 5 is Persona 5.

I'm not sure what got you to think Persona 4 looks like a cringy game, from what I've played both games seem quite similar.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

TruckOSaurus said:

Easy to forget that Breath of the Wild held 98 for about two weeks before a couple attention seekers reviewers decided to have the honour of lowering the score.

With Metacritic refusing to eliminate outlier scores from their algorithm, it's practically impossible to get higher than 97. Can't think any game will top the universal praise Breath of the Wild got any time soon.

Most of the list I at least sort of agree with, though there's a lot of games on there I haven't gotten a chance to play yet. Only surprise for me is that Uncharted 3 made the list while Uncharted 2 didn't, perhaps I'm alone in this thought but I think the 2nd one outclasses #3 in almost every metric (gameplay, gun fights, level design, story, etc.), though they're both amazing games.

Galaxy 2 absolutely deserves the top stop. What an amazing game! It was my favorite Mario game up until Odyssey came out.