By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The top 50 highest rated games on Metacritic of the decade

Does Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserve to be on top?

Yes 22 40.00%

No 22 40.00%

Maybe so 9 16.36%

Other game because.. (answer in thread) 2 3.64%

Total:55

So based on the list, the PS4 is the best place to play highly praised games in the last decade.

Around the Network

Since I played it for over 700 hours already Forza Horizon 4 is my favorite game on the list. Also Inside is closer to being a 83 then a 93 you can get all the achievements/trophies in that game and pretty much do everything in that game in less then 3 hour after that there is pretty much no point in replaying it.

A good reminder as to why Metascores mean so little to me. I think I can legitimately say that I'm more apt to care about a game that scores in the 80s than the 90s.

Personally, the more games I've played, the less I've come to care about "polish." Conversely, I think "polish" has become the most important criteria for critics. For example, I cannot deny that Divinity: Original Sin II was exceptionally well-crafted by a studio that obviously put a lot of effort and care into their creation. They have my respect for that and I constantly found myself being impressed by little details. However, I also found that actually playing the game was a tedious and frustrating slog. I never finished despite really forcing myself on the second attempt. Red Dead Redemption is up there, as well, and it might be the single most boring game I've ever played. But the polish, though? Damned impressive. BioShock Infinite? Amazing presentation but really nothing special when it came to actually playing the game--could have been and should have been so much more.

A lot of what critics gush over, I just don't care that much about.

pokoko said:
A good reminder as to why Metascores mean so little to me. I think I can legitimately say that I'm more apt to care about a game that scores in the 80s than the 90s.

Personally, the more games I've played, the less I've come to care about "polish." Conversely, I think "polish" has become the most important criteria for critics. For example, I cannot deny that Divinity: Original Sin II was exceptionally well-crafted by a studio that obviously put a lot of effort and care into their creation. They have my respect for that and I constantly found myself being impressed by little details. However, I also found that actually playing the game was a tedious and frustrating slog. I never finished despite really forcing myself on the second attempt. Red Dead Redemption is up there, as well, and it might be the single most boring game I've ever played. But the polish, though? Damned impressive. BioShock Infinite? Amazing presentation but really nothing special when it came to actually playing the game--could have been and should have been so much more.

A lot of what critics gush over, I just don't care that much about.

As far as RDR2 goes it has high scores because of its broad appeal. It's basically GTA, but with cowboys. Any braindead shmuck can understand how to play that. But anything that can't be instantly understood by a 45 year old man who has only played Madden and CoD, will inevitably get a low score from one dunce critic or another. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 13 December 2019

LudicrousSpeed said:
flashfire926 said:

The original didn't come out this decade.

Damn what a stupid idiot I am. I even read someone else making the same mistake with Galaxy1 1.

Yeah.  Only a complete idiot would make a mistake like that.  YOU STUPID IDIOT!!!

JWeinCom said:
Why is Galaxy not on the list? Has 97 average and only a few less reviews than 2.

Around the Network

Glad to see Xenoblade Chronicles ^^

Honestly I have not played a lot of those games and many of them really aren't my cup of tea, but nice to see Xenoblade 1 up there, and Mario Galaxy 2 is a masterpiece. Also, the OSSHs (obsessed Skyward Sword haters) at Resetera must have been fuming about this list