By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch outsells PS3 in Japan

V-r0cK said:
That's pretty low to have Switch compete against last gen.

Not only that, but to make it more specific to make it seem like Switch has the upper hand. Like why compare just in Japan and not as a whole?

What a poor writer at Nintendo Life.

Well, it smashed this gen already, so last gen was the next bump in the road.

Around the Network

The Switch been beat the PS3 over there. Why is this news?!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
The Switch been beat the PS3 over there. Why is this news?!

Not even three years of selling Switch are beating more than seven years worth of PS3 sales. I would say this is news worthy.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I don't know why japaneses stopped caring about home consoles. They are missing some great games and amazing experiences.

DonFerrari said:
Took longer than what I thought it would, PS3 and PS4 dropped majorly compared to PS2 sales in Japan.

Speaking of PS2, next week NSW will pass it launches aligned.

LTD week 144

PS2-10,505,390

NSW-10,432,570

PS2 Dec 2002

Total-499,309

NSW December predictions

200k+

250k+

300k+

250k+

Total-1+ million

It should pass PS2 next week and by the end of the year have close to a 500k lead

This is a 1:1 comparison because they both launched in the first week of March.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

The implication (at least my own) was not that Switch outselling PS3 in Japan is impressive in itself. It's simply a milestone on Switch's journey.

Switch outselling N64 globally wasn't an earth shattering achievement in itself, yet it was still noted as a milestone. There were articles and threads when PS4 outsold the 3DS even though a Playstation home console outselling a system that won't reach 80 million lifetime also wasn't exactly a mind-blowing occurrence. 

What console is next? Is it the Nintendo Wii?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
What console is next? Is it the Nintendo Wii?

Yep; 2.1 million more to go til Switch passes Wii.

youngbr said:
I don't know why japaneses stopped caring about home consoles. They are missing some great games and amazing experiences.

It's not true. Japanese stopped caring sony home console, besides all BIG support of all Japanese Third party. All bet against Nintendo Switch. PS4 have all big japanese guns and will suffer to sell 10 millions LTD.

Just another to add to the list.