By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: VR Is Not Our Focus Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It

Is this the right choice for MS?

Yes, VR will never go mainstream. 8 27.59%

Right now, yes. VR is still too niche. 13 44.83%

No. MS will lose their p... 8 27.59%

Total:29
JRPGfan said:
Bandorr said:

So weird.  Why show it at a gaming conference if your target is hospitals? Plus I know they invited people to come try it out. Like JesseCox got to try it. Apparently it was awful. Not designed for glasses, and it had no view for the side so you just saw blackness out of the corners of your eyes.

I guess that answers that question though of it was meant to ever compete with VR.

They needed good PR about something?
And they had been designing this thing for ages and wanted some way to show it off, even if that wasnt what it was buildt for?

The sales target would still be professionals and hospitals, even if it was at a gaming conference.
Why was it there? to make it easier to sell to those professionals + hospitals.

If it gave xbox users, false hope that they could get that instead of VR even better.
As they had backtracked on VR at that point (saying it would no longer be comeing to xbox one x).

So it fixed 2 issues for them.

I remember xbox users going "who cares about VR, we re getting AR soon baby!" "AR is the future, VR is not going anywhere" ect.
it fooled the xbox user base (since then xbox users arnt bitching about getting VR anymore, even if it was promised to them).

Phil seems to get away with breaking alot of promises tbh, without it seemingly hurting his popularity amoung xbox fans.

Because by and large, these “Xbox fans” you’re referencing don’t care about this stuff you claim they were “promised”. Logically, “Xbox fans” not caring about something they were “promised” is a pretty good reason for it to not happen. A lot of non-Xbox fans seem to track “promises” and care more about them than actual Xbox users. For example, you claim “Xbox users” were all about AR. I don’t remember or know of anyone who gave a shit about AR and was shilling for it over VR. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Bandorr said:

So weird.  Why show it at a gaming conference if your target is hospitals? Plus I know they invited people to come try it out. Like JesseCox got to try it. Apparently it was awful. Not designed for glasses, and it had no view for the side so you just saw blackness out of the corners of your eyes.

I guess that answers that question though of it was meant to ever compete with VR.

They needed good PR about something?
And they had been designing this thing for ages and wanted some way to show it off, even if that wasnt what it was buildt for?

The sales target would still be professionals and hospitals, even if it was at a gaming conference.
Why was it there? to make it easier to sell to those professionals + hospitals.

If it gave xbox users, false hope that they could get that instead of VR even better.
As they had backtracked on VR at that point (saying it would no longer be comeing to xbox one x).

So it fixed 2 issues for them.

I remember xbox users going "who cares about VR, we re getting AR soon baby!" "AR is the future, VR is not going anywhere" ect.
it fooled the xbox user base (since then xbox users arnt bitching about getting VR anymore, even if it was promised to them).

Phil seems to get away with breaking alot of promises tbh, without it seemingly hurting his popularity amoung xbox fans.

I doubt it will ever affect the diehards. And while they will continue to make excuses and not admit it, breaking promises does turn off those core gamers who may have been up in the air about which to get (see case study above.) Speaking specifically about VR, if someone was thinking of getting into it after the price dropped, or the 2nd gen headsets are out, Scarlett is now completely off their radar.

And, yea, they may say VR hasn't sold well, but for a peripheral that costs the same as the console used to play it, I'd say it's done damn good. Nearly 5M (probably 5M after this BF week), isn't anything to scoff at. The SW seems to be selling decently, as well.

I was still interested in buying an X when MS was hinting at WMR support for it. That never happened, and I've lost interest in XBox completely. Thanks to gamepass I don't have to miss the few games I'm interested in and the money saved from staying a dual console owner instead of all 3, goes to VR.

I have bought way more VR games than 'flat' games since PSVR came out. I do still play more without VR but that's because I'm addicted to sport mode in Gran Turismo and online doesn't support VR. In between I play Beat Saber and currently Borderlands 2 VR.

SvennoJ said:
I was still interested in buying an X when MS was hinting at WMR support for it. That never happened, and I've lost interest in XBox completely. Thanks to gamepass I don't have to miss the few games I'm interested in and the money saved from staying a dual console owner instead of all 3, goes to VR.

I have bought way more VR games than 'flat' games since PSVR came out. I do still play more without VR but that's because I'm addicted to sport mode in Gran Turismo and online doesn't support VR. In between I play Beat Saber and currently Borderlands 2 VR.

You know GamePass will cost you more in the end right? A rental service where if subbed for the whole year will cost you $120, where owning a game will cost you $60 (depending where you are from)

$120 x 5 years = $600. Thats the price of a console. Now if you continue paying after 5 years, that will continue to add up to the point it will just be cheaper buying the console and said games you are interested in.

Thats the point of GamePass, like a phone plan, its made to look cheap on the surface however it will catch up to you in the end.

JRPGfan said:

Theres currently 3 VR headsets in the top50 on amazon, this black friday.
While theres no Xbox in the top50 list.

Theres a growing demand for it (VR), and its only gonna get better as the technology advances.

That's potentially a bad sign. How many are there normally throughout the year in the top 50?

If people are only willing to pay as little as possible, on one day of the year to get one... That's not great. As the tech advances, so will cost.

Around the Network

The thing is with VR (like 3D) is the barrier it needs to get going, where most people are just happy with a controller and sitting comfortably. What puts a lot of people off is the need for additional gear, complexity of setup to a normal gaming setup.

Hopefully Half Life: Alyx puts some steam into VR. The tech is here already, it just needs some refinement. As the experience for VR is amazing and so immersive, though admittedly not for everyone.

A small, light wireless headset with no lighthouse would be ideal and would remove a lot of qualms with VR. I'm a bit disappointed that more companies aren't pushing the tech with higher quality titles with it.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 December 2019

This is a big miss for me. My most anticipated thing from Microsoft going into next gen was seeing Forza and Halo in VR. I have been on board with many of their moves over the past two years, but this one I can’t agree with.

Looks like I will get Scarlett and stick with Game Pass going forward. I’m not going to dump $300 - $500 into Microsoft exclusives every year if they aren’t going to push new tech. I can grab Game Pass when a big game comes out, or get a year when it goes on sale.

I am in this industry for new experiences. I don’t mind playing upgraded versions of the same games we have been playing since the late 90’s to early 00’s, but I want something new as well. It is a shame that a company with great games, that are ripe for modern tech, is blocking its teams from delivering the best product they can deliver.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

ironmanDX said:
JRPGfan said:

Theres currently 3 VR headsets in the top50 on amazon, this black friday.
While theres no Xbox in the top50 list.

Theres a growing demand for it (VR), and its only gonna get better as the technology advances.

That's potentially a bad sign. How many are there normally throughout the year in the top 50?

If people are only willing to pay as little as possible, on one day of the year to get one... That's not great. As the tech advances, so will cost.

look at how much 60" tv's cost today vs 20 years ago.
Costs are like 1/10th, while at the same time your getting a vastly better tv today than then.

Usually as tech developes it gets cheaper, same with mass production.
The reason its so expensive is because they dont make enough, and sales arnt there for it.

That can easily change with time.
Sony has the right idea, by keeping the unit simple and cheap.

While these guys chaseing the ultimate VR experiance makeing units that cost 1500$-2000$, are only doing so for profits, while probably not really doing much of anything to appeal to the mass market. If VR takes off and goes big, it ll be from the bottom up, imo, since so many want to try it, but see the cost of entry as too much.

It's a matter of cost and accessibility when it comes to widening the base of VR users. As it stands right now, getting a decent VR headset is still too expensive for a lot of people, and many have trouble using them without experiencing issues like nausea when playing for any extended period of time. There's immense potential in VR for gaming, but I don't think the technology is at an accessible enough place yet for it to become widely adopted outside of a specific niche audience. Personally, I have little interest in VR at the moment, but maybe in 5 to 10 years that will change when companies can lower the cost of entry and make the headsets better in general.

Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:

You know GamePass will cost you more in the end right? A rental service where if subbed for the whole year will cost you $120, where owning a game will cost you $60 (depending where you are from)

$120 x 5 years = $600. Thats the price of a console. Now if you continue paying after 5 years, that will continue to add up to the point it will just be cheaper buying the console and said games you are interested in.

Thats the point of GamePass, like a phone plan, its made to look cheap on the surface however it will catch up to you in the end.

So far I paid $1 to play FH4, Gears 4 and Crackdown. When there is more I can always get it for another month. You can simply make a new account and get it for a dollar again. I have no intention to subscribe for longer than it takes to play one of the exclusives