By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pokemon Sw/Sh + Dual Edition sold 65% more than Let's go in the UK and more...

Tagged games:

I think WorthPlaying had a great summary of Pokemon S/S:

"Pokémon Sword and Shield is at once a really fun game and a disappointment. It has a lot of great new features, excellent new Pokémon, some much-needed quality of life improvements, and is generally a solid Pokémon title. However, the first console outing feels like it should've been more impressive, especially given the reduced Pokedex. If you're a fan of Pokémon, you'll enjoy Sword and Shield a lot, and if it's your first Pokémon, it's a good way to experience the franchise's high points. If you're a longtime fan hoping for the Breath of the Wild of Pokémon games, you'll be disappointed."

Seems like a fair and spot on analysis.

Around the Network

65% more but what was the install base of the Switch at that time ? 24 millions if I estimate it roughly. So it is a bit weaker today for Sw/Sh

Well, the sales are going to embolden Game Freak to keep this attitude, but considering the sheer amount of sales this got, I'm not sure if it will have any consequences. It will be interesting to see the effects this has in the long run, though. Pokemon is an annual series since Sun/Moon, and with a much bigger piece of hardware to work with, they are going to need to reinforce their team, controversy or not.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Well, the sales are going to embolden Game Freak to keep this attitude, but considering the sheer amount of sales this got, I'm not sure if it will have any consequences. It will be interesting to see the effects this has in the long run, though. Pokemon is an annual series since Sun/Moon, and with a much bigger piece of hardware to work with, they are going to need to reinforce their team, controversy or not.

Nintendo will make pokémon games like EA makes games like Fifa (minimum effort for acceptance) and they will sell as much as Fifa, if not even more. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Pokemon is going to sell well even without really putting all that much effort in it, it seems. I think Nintendo is very happy about this. The pop-in alone was a reason for me not to buy it. But appearently people are really happy with it here, so who am I too judge. I wonder if Nintendo is going to make pokémon an anual series now.

Pokemon has mostly been an annual/biannual series since its inception.

The only years where there was no mainline Pokemon game (i.e, remakes, new iterations, sequels, third versions) in Japan were:

1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2015

Though its hard to give the full timeline as games prior to X/Y were released in Japan first before going overseas so it usually would take several months for them to come stateside after their Japanese release. For example, Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen were released in Japan the same year as Emerald in Japan (FR/LG in January while Emerald in Sept.). However, Emerald was eventually released in 2005 overseas compared to FR/LG being released in late-2004 overseas.

I think its just that a lot surrounding the franchise affects the games. The merchandise, the TCG, the anime, etc. They all revolve around the games releasing a certain time. Its hard to delay one thing without delaying the other projects.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Nintendo will make pokémon games like EA makes games like Fifa (minimum effort for acceptance) and they will sell as much as Fifa, if not even more. 

Nintendo doesn't make the Pokémon games. If they did we would probably get one every 4-5 years with some spinoffs in between.

Kai_Mao said:

I think its just that a lot surrounding the franchise affects the games. The merchandise, the TCG, the anime, etc. They all revolve around the games releasing a certain time. Its hard to delay one thing without delaying the other projects.

This is probably one of the big reasons Sw/Sh has turned out like this, though to be fair, I would be inclined to point out mobile ballooning the company's profits more than enough to ignore rough launches like this in their main series. That and the internal conflicts that are probably plaguing The Pokemon Co. and GameFeak.

Darwinianevolution said:
Kai_Mao said:

This is probably one of the big reasons Sw/Sh has turned out like this, though to be fair, I would be inclined to point out mobile ballooning the company's profits more than enough to ignore rough launches like this in their main series. That and the internal conflicts that are probably plaguing The Pokemon Co. and GameFeak.

Rough launches? In terms of quality or sales?

MasonADC said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Rough launches? In terms of quality or sales?

In terms of graphics and presentation. From what I've seen, while the game is not broken by any means, it would have needed more time in the oven to iron out in terms of graphics and presentation. And that's leaving the content cuts aside.

KLXVER said:
Qwark said:

Nintendo doesn't make the Pokémon games. If they did we would probably get one every 4-5 years with some spinoffs in between.

They would probably be much better games if Nintendo did make them. They do publish and pay for the development of those games though. So if Nintendo really wants to, they can demand from gamefreak to put more effort into the game then what they did. Nonetheless the games print money, so Nintendo probably will not ask them too. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar