Forums - Sales Discussion - Pokemon Sw/Sh + Dual Edition sold 65% more than Let's go in the UK and more...

Tagged games:

PAOerfulone said:

@MasonADC: If they continue with the development philosophy and resources they have now as hardware get's more and more advanced, then it's not a matter of if, but when. 

@RolStoppable: Sword/Shield, regardless of whether people enjoy it or not or think it's a good game or not, has various technical and programming flaws that cannot be overlooked or denied. If this is happening on the Switch, how much worse could it potentially be when Nintendo's next system comes out? Or the one after that? If this trend continues, with Game Freak and TPC continuing to maintain their small dev team and resources, which will become more and more limited and dated as the technology and power grows (for Nintendo's standards anyways), the "Sonic '06" of Pokemon will not only be likely, but inevitable.

Sword/Shield may not be that game. It will most likely go on to meet or even exceed sales expectations. Both in initial shipments and/or shipments afterwards, regardless of its flaws. But there's no denying that there's a problem and it'll keep getting worse and worse the further this trend and mentality continues. It may not be Sword/Shield, but it could be the first games for the next system. Or maybe a game before, or a game after. But it's just a matter of time.

The Sonic 06 moment being inevitable is a very overdramatic statement. Sword/Shield is the first 3D mainline Pokémon with a free camera, so it posed a bigger challenge than future games will. Insufficient planning led to time constraints, so some aspects of the graphics (like the often mentioned trees) couldn't be properly finished because other things were more important. I doubt that GameFreak will just sit there and decide to do the same thing again for the next game.

Additionally, Nintendo's corporate goal puts the value of their IPs at the center, so they'll keep an eye on execution and reception of their IPs, and reception means more than just sales alone. I don't think Nintendo will neglect Pokémon to the point of a freefall into Sonic 06 territory. If GameFreak can't solve the deficiencies in the graphics like the pop-ins themselves, then they are going to get help to focus on gameplay and content.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The Sonic 06 moment being inevitable is a very overdramatic statement. Sword/Shield is the first 3D mainline Pokémon with a free camera, so it posed a bigger challenge than future games will. Insufficient planning led to time constraints, so some aspects of the graphics (like the often mentioned trees) couldn't be properly finished because other things were more important. I doubt that GameFreak will just sit there and decide to do the same thing again for the next game.

Additionally, Nintendo's corporate goal puts the value of their IPs at the center, so they'll keep an eye on execution and reception of their IPs, and reception means more than just sales alone. I don't think Nintendo will neglect Pokémon to the point of a freefall into Sonic 06 territory. If GameFreak can't solve the deficiencies in the graphics like the pop-ins themselves, then they are going to get help to focus on gameplay and content.

For the sake of the franchise's quality, I hope you're right.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

I predict the next game will be Pokemon Wild and will be an open world Breathe of the Wild experience.

1.3m sold in 3 days in Japan.

https://nintendoeverything.com/japan-pokemon-sword-shield-sells-1-365-million-copies-in-first-three-days-switch-surpasses-10-million-units-sold/

Some updates from gameindustry.biz:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-19-nintendo-switch-uk-sales-spike-30-percent-as-pok-mon-sword-and-shield-sets-record

- Pokémon Sword and Shield become the fastest-selling Switch game so far.
- Pokemon SW/SH is actually the third biggest Nintendo launch in UK history, behind Wii Fit in second place and Pokémon Sun and Moon at No.1
- Switch hardware sales rose more than 30% and already rose 75% the week before
- 90,000 Switch machines have been sold in the UK so far this month.
- The 'normal' Switch console is driving sales, not Switch Lite
- Switch is the best-selling console in the UK this year so far. Nintendo's machine is expected to end Sony's five year reign as the UK's No.1