By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sword/Shield Official Metacritic Score/Review Thread. (80)

Tagged games:

Where will Pokemon Sword/Shield metacritic be?

Between 0-50. 2 2.44%

Between 51-70. 2 2.44%

Between 71-79. 13 15.85%

Between 80 6 7.32%

Between 81-82 20 24.39%

Between 83-84 21 25.61%

Between 85-86 10 12.20%

Between 87-88 4 4.88%

Between 89-90 0 0%

Above 90. 4 4.88%

Total:82

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by Machina **

Where will Pokemon Sword/Shield metacritic be?

Between 0-50. 0 $0.00 0%

Between 51-70. 0 $0.00 0%

Between 71-79. 4 $1,150.00 15.38%

Between 80 1 $1,000.00 3.85%

Between 81-82 9 $5,080.00 34.62%

Between 83-84 7 $2,470.00 26.92%

Between 85-86 1 $0.00 3.85%

Between 87-88 3 $160.00 11.54%

Between 89-90 0 $0.00 0%

Above 90. 1 $100.00 3.85%

Totals: 26 $9,960.00  
Game closed: 12/31/2019
BraLoD said:
This still has only 20 reviews? What a bummer.

Agreed.  I am curious to see what other reviewers think.  I expect a bunch of 7s and 8s.  I don't think we will see many 9s.  Seems like the game is good, but not great.  Not a horrible slap in the face either.  

Around the Network
Barkley said:
think-man said:
Been playing it for about 3 days now. It's okay, really lacking polish in parts though. Almost feels a little rushed. There are so many buildings you can't even enter, which is something I hadn't experienced in a Pokemon game before.

It does feel rushed in some areas. Something I noticed in the first city.

There's only about 8 buildings in the whole city, yet they copy and paste the same shop. They're literally right next to each other. It's not something that really matters, but damn... xD. 

And above in the first clothes shop, the two people working there being identical in every way, using the exact same model. Clothing, bracelet and all identical. Reusing the same character model in the same building, it just feels weird. It's classic pokemon, but as it transitions to 3D/HD these things just start to feel rushed/lazy and weird. Again it's nit picky and it doesn't matter, but it does make the game feel rushed and just strange.

Gamefreak should use the millions their games make to hire more people and diversify the content. It might not seem like much, but variety in models/visuals really does add to a polish of a game without you even realising it sometimes.

Please stop saying that it doesnt matter; because it does. When you say that you are excusing them for low tier work that other developers have transitioned from during the PS1 age.

3:05 - 3:10 is fuckin hilarious. What gen is this!?

If any other big name game had released to issues seen in this video it would have mauled to hell n back. The industry has collectively given Pokemon a major pass and it unfortunately will not help the future of this franchise. Fuck graphics, Pokedex, lack of post game content. This games very core is the problem; everything about the design of this game is simply at 8bit - PS1 levels. GameFreak is not lazy, noooo its worse, they're technically incompetent. This is not Pokemon game designed for consoles, but an 8bit designed game made to look like a late gen Wii game.

Xxain said:
Barkley said:

It does feel rushed in some areas. Something I noticed in the first city.

There's only about 8 buildings in the whole city, yet they copy and paste the same shop. They're literally right next to each other. It's not something that really matters, but damn... xD. 

And above in the first clothes shop, the two people working there being identical in every way, using the exact same model. Clothing, bracelet and all identical. Reusing the same character model in the same building, it just feels weird. It's classic pokemon, but as it transitions to 3D/HD these things just start to feel rushed/lazy and weird. Again it's nit picky and it doesn't matter, but it does make the game feel rushed and just strange.

Gamefreak should use the millions their games make to hire more people and diversify the content. It might not seem like much, but variety in models/visuals really does add to a polish of a game without you even realising it sometimes.

Please stop saying that it doesnt matter; because it does. When you say that you are excusing them for low tier work that other developers have transitioned from during the PS1 age.

If any other big name game had released to issues seen in this video it would have mauled to hell n back. The industry has collectively given Pokemon a major pass and it unfortunately will not help the future of this franchise. Fuck graphics, Pokedex, lack of post game content. This games very core is the problem; everything about the design of this game is simply at 8bit - PS1 levels. GameFreak is not lazy, noooo its worse, they're technically incompetent. This is not Pokemon game designed for consoles, but an 8bit designed game made to look like a late gen Wii game.

I'm not seeing the particular issue at 305-310.  Because the Pokeball just kind of disappears?  I'm not really sure if seeing them put the item ball in the bag will really improve my experience.

To me personally, none of that stuff really does matter (referring to the graphical issues).  Honestly, it's just not going to make a big difference to my overall experience.  I'm not saying it might not matter to other people, and those people shouldn't buy the game.  But if I legitimately and utterly don't care, why should that factor into my decision at all?  Just out of principle?

Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

Fair enough, but those aren't the features I'm personally looking for.  Honestly the biggest thing for me is whether they have a feature such as bottle caps that let you raise IVs, and how easy they are to attain.  I just don't have the patience to hatch egg after egg.  Nature changing items are pretty cool though (although somehow changing a living thing's demeanor seems morally dubious). 

Yeah compared to you i'm just looking from a distance at it without being a real fan of the series but i understand those customizable options are important for the longevity of enjoyment for others yes.

As for the "improvement" part i talked about earlier i'm beginning to doubt that early statement of me was fully correct when i see people posting ingame screenshot of some houses and places that look indentical to eachother,that is either lazy or rushed but not excusable for such an premium priced console game.

Honestly... to me it's excusable.

It really gets down to what I'm looking for in a game.  If, for instance, they did that kind of stuff in Spider-man, I wouldn't have found it excusable, because swinging around a virtual New York was a big part of why I wanted the game.  On the other hand, in this case, I really doubt I would have even noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out to me.  It's kind of like the Spirits mode in Smash Bros.  I found that incredibly underwhelming (not lazy as they clearly put in the effort, but it just didn't click), but considering 99.9% of my playtime was going to be in the multiplayer, it just wasn't that relevant.

Caught 40 Pokémon so far, dynamax really is pointless, don't like it.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Xxain said:

I'm not seeing the particular issue at 305-310.  Because the Pokeball just kind of disappears?  I'm not really sure if seeing them put the item ball in the bag will really improve my experience.

To me personally, none of that stuff really does matter (referring to the graphical issues).  Honestly, it's just not going to make a big difference to my overall experience.  I'm not saying it might not matter to other people, and those people shouldn't buy the game.  But if I legitimately and utterly don't care, why should that factor into my decision at all?  Just out of principle?

What!? It is mindsets like this that got us this Pokemon game and not the one we should of got. It is mindsets like this that persuade this industry to continue to give less for more. You dont have to care, but understand that that there is standard that should be met for any game or non we spend money on. 500,000 people could tell a developer we really dont mind popin but that doesn't mean not to take care to optomize the game as best possibly. I could walk in and eat at a dirty restaurant, but It doesn't mean restaurant should be dirty though. Pokemon Sword/Shield fails to meet that standards of a Nintendo game, other JRPG's and most shockingly standards set by previous Pokemons. It should factor into your purchase because when you spend money on this you tell GameFreak/Pokemon company its cool to keep going this route. Its cool to dress up a 8bit game. 

Not its not. A holder of the biggest money maker on the planet putting out sub par crap like this only makes it worse. 

The level of Millennial entitlement meltdowns in this thread is hysterical.

For the record: it’s not abnormal for sequels to have a different set of features from previous games in the franchise.

The guy above me is OUTRAGED that someone else is not sharing His OUTRAGE about some trivial animation. Does anyone else see the absurdity of this?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

For the record: it’s not abnormal for sequels to have a different set of features from previous games in the franchise.

The guy above me is OUTRAGED that someone else is not sharing His OUTRAGE about some trivial animation. Does anyone else see the absurdity of this?

How do you know it is millenial entitlement dear Jumpin ?

I agree that too much time is spent with being upset because others arent,nothing constructive about that.

Jumpin said:

I agree, at the end of the day, it is not as serious as the people complaining are making it out to be. If the games are so horrible, just stop talking about them. They’re just video games 

BraLoD said:
Jumpin said:

People are enraged because they were lied to, and are getting a low quality product from a massive series from a massive corporation.

It's nothing new, people act like that every time a big game fails to meet standarts or is badly perceived.

People trashed games like Sonic '06 and Boom, people trashed Fallout 76, people trashed Anthem, and so on.

The absurdity is that we have people that defended it this time, because it's Pokemon.

They did the same with Bethesda with them continuosly showing they didn't care, until we got Fallout 76.

That's what is happening with GameFreak now, some people have been pointing out their incompetence and lack of interest to invest to make better games but the majority kept defending, until we got Sword and Shield.

The difference was that GF still had the 3DS excuse, where low quality was still quite passable.

Now a lot of people are enraged with them because of the flaws of their products, the lack of care about the fanbase and lying to them, and want to make it clear it not get yet another pass, so the company feel the need to change.

That's what's happening here, fans are finally realising they don't need to accept anything and are mad with how they are being treated.

The fact you call it millennial entitlement is very telling on how out of touch with the situation you are and how quick you jump to generalization to show your ignorance (as in lack of understanding) and try to use it as an artifact to make it looks bad, which is honestly quite sad.

No mate people defend the game but not the flaws because despite the issues it's still a good game people trashed Sonic 06, F76 and so on because they were broken bad games. The's a difference between a good game that could be better and an outright broken mess.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 17 November 2019