By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

#37 Child of Light
guessed by SanAndreasX
platform WiiU/Switch
release year 2014
developer/publisher Ubisoft
genre turn-based RPG
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #32

If thinking about beautiful games, Child of Light is without a doubt among the first games that come to my mind. Realized with the UbiArt-engine used for Rayman Legends this games realizes playing in an watercolor-image. If you look at it in animation, Auroras hair is always flowing, which looks incredible. But it is all, the characters, the environments that are beatifully realized.

The story is about a girl named Aurora, who wakes up after an illness (and possibly death) in the magical land Lemuria, which is itself in trouble. As she is searching for a way back to her father, she is helping different people around the land and earning their friendship. After all it is a story about growing up emotionally, nicely fitting to the RPG-mechanic of leveling up.

Fighting is done in a turn-based matter, which uses relatively modern mechanics in turn-based RPG-fights. Level-Up is kept simple with an ability chosen from three alternative paths. Each character has it's own unique abilities, which keeps fighting interesting and to defeat some enemies you need the differing abilities.

Outside of fights the game features light platforming and puzzle elements. Story is progressed mostly by dialogue, which is presented often in rhyme.

This heartwarming game about friendship and personal growth on challenges is something everyone should've tried. It is not a particularly long or deep game, but it is beautiful a just a nice game overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYOfW-ae5sk

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Next games to guess.

#36 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Cadence of Hyrule

a) Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or… merfolk?

#34 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Dragon Quest Builders

a) Collect, build and craft now in the world of one of the oldest RPG-series.

#33 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pikmin

a) Grow your helpers for the first time.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 November 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

Next games to guess.

34. Dragon Quest Builders either 1 or 2.  (I first wanted to guess Ultima Online, but I don't think that was ever a game you were into.)

33.  Pikmin?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Next games to guess.

34. Dragon Quest Builders either 1 or 2.  (I first wanted to guess Ultima Online, but I don't think that was ever a game you were into.)

33.  Pikmin?

I should have made clear which entry I mean, as I did with Pikmin. Both are correct and it is the first DQB. I never played Ultima Online, maybe I would be into it, I don't know.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

33.  Pikmin?

I should have made clear which entry I mean, as I did with Pikmin. Both are correct and it is the first DQB. I never played Ultima Online, maybe I would be into it, I don't know.

Ultima Online, being the first mainstream MMO, was a very important game, but I don't know how well it holds up anymore.  Even back in the day, I felt it was an amazing game and a terrible game at the same time.  This was the first game I ever played with an online server.  Just being online, in a game, with a ton of different people...that in itself is an amazing experience the first time you have it.  However, there was always people planning to ambush and kill you all over the place.  That's kind of the main reason so many other MMOs became more popular and not too long afterward either.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Ultima Online, being the first mainstream MMO, was a very important game, but I don't know how well it holds up anymore.  Even back in the day, I felt it was an amazing game and a terrible game at the same time.  This was the first game I ever played with an online server.  Just being online, in a game, with a ton of different people...that in itself is an amazing experience the first time you have it.  However, there was always people planning to ambush and kill you all over the place.  That's kind of the main reason so many other MMOs became more popular and not too long afterward either.

As WoW was the first MMO that impacted into my friend circle, by the time it hit I thought it was shallow, no deep. Reason being, that I already played for years online games called MUDs, but they were text based. Quests and puzzles could be very creative and challenging, similar to text adventures, and exploring was incredibly rewarding, as you read through the richly described locations and tried to find finer details to examine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD

So if the major part of excitement about Ultima Online was being online together with other people and work together, than it would indeed not have worked on me.

EDIT: By the way: playerkilling was a big topic in MUDs too. Most MUDs just simply prohibited it, but some had more intricate mechanism, like allowing it in arenas and you were warned before entering them. Or allowing it in a duel both players had to agree to. But some MUDs were explicitly PK-MUDs and built around it.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 November 2019

mZuzek said:

#37 - One version of this game was riddled with performance issues, but the developers promised to fix them with a patch in 2025.
Hint 2 - the 2025 release date was a joke, of course. The patch was released recently.

#36 - The game that started this franchise's current boring trend of happy-go-lucky final bosses, ditching the more climactic approach of earlier titles.
Hint 2 - It's a franchise that's drawn in remarkable controversy this year.

#35 - Despite being a somewhat old classic, a line from this game's opening has become a prominent meme just recently.

#37: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

As WoW was the first MMO that impacted into my friend circle, by the time it hit I thought it was shallow, no deep. Reason being, that I already played for years online games called MUDs, but they were text based. Quests and puzzles could be very creative and challenging, similar to text adventures, and exploring was incredibly rewarding, as you read through the richly described locations and tried to find finer details to examine.

So if the major part of excitement about Ultima Online was being online together with other people and work together, than it would indeed not have worked on me.

EDIT: By the way: playerkilling was a big topic in MUDs too. Most MUDs just simply prohibited it, but some had more intricate mechanism, like allowing it in arenas and you were warned before entering them. Or allowing it in a duel both players had to agree to. But some MUDs were explicitly PK-MUDs and built around it.

I had played several MMOs before WoW, and it is in fact a very shallow game.  What made WoW so popular was that it made MMOs more accessible to more people.  Deaths, grinding, leveling up, etc... all became a lot easier to handle in WoW.  It's basically a MMO for casual players.  (Or at least it was.  If you let casual players play anything long enough then eventually they become hardcore.)

I never played any MUDs, but I have understood for a long time that they were the precursor to the MMO.  Ultima Online was a much deeper game than WoW, IMO, but all of the rampant playerkilling really detracted from it.  I guess they would have benefitted a lot more if they had studied more MUDs before they made it.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

I had played several MMOs before WoW, and it is in fact a very shallow game.  What made WoW so popular was that it made MMOs more accessible to more people.  Deaths, grinding, leveling up, etc... all became a lot easier to handle in WoW.  It's basically a MMO for casual players.  (Or at least it was.  If you let casual players play anything long enough then eventually they become hardcore.)

I never played any MUDs, but I have understood for a long time that they were the precursor to the MMO.  Ultima Online was a much deeper game than WoW, IMO, but all of the rampant playerkilling really detracted from it.  I guess they would have benefitted a lot more if they had studied more MUDs before they made it.

The underlined is very true. And yes, probably it would've helped to look at the experiences and solutions MUDs had for the playerkilling-problem.

Sup, im dropping a couple hints since im falling behind a bit, these are all easy ones:

40) First game of a spinoff series of a popular RPG franchise that copies the Pokemon formula. 

39) So this is a Mario game with the best cast of characters that never came back for another big game. Like, seriously, so many amazing supporting characters here I have no idea what is even going on in the world anymore.

38) Part 2 of the best platforming franchise not involving a plumber.

37) The best game the wii had to offer