By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real problem with Google Stadia (Halloween edition)

Some people are buying the premier edition on ebay for twice the price they can buy at Google. They are confusing it with the founders wich already sold out but on ebay can be found for 400 bucks.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Ganoncrotch said:
As soon as you approach that question of "who is this for?" Then the whole thing falls to pieces imo. It's for that person who has an unlimited high speed broadband package, but doesn't have any gaming devices on the end of that. Also it's for the casual gamer who doesn't want to invest in gaming hardware but will buy a sub to core gaming and start buying 60e AAA games on that?

This unicorn just didn't exist imo.

yeah cause 35Mbps is something only heard in science fiction. I have 80Mbps in my area here in Brazil and is not even the fastest deal, no data cap.

While you scoff at 35 Mbps, and then tout around about how 80 Mbps isn't even the fastest in your area, others see your post and scoff at 80 Mbps, wondering if 80 is supposed to be impressive.

Point being that there are people who live in areas where 35 Mbps is not available. Trying to pick your fights with people over an internet speed discussion is in poor taste, and clearly that is what you are doing, given this post and the one after.

Plus I don't know that your facts are correct. Out of curiosity, I fact-checked your post and what I found was that on SpeedTest, the United States ranks #8 in the world for Internet speeds, and I don't see China on the list. I'm pretty sure internet speeds in China are among the worst in the entire world.

RaptorChrist said:
CuCabeludo said:

yeah cause 35Mbps is something only heard in science fiction. I have 80Mbps in my area here in Brazil and is not even the fastest deal, no data cap.

While you scoff at 35 Mbps, and then tout around about how 80 Mbps isn't even the fastest in your area, others see your post and scoff at 80 Mbps, wondering if 80 is supposed to be impressive.

Point being that there are people who live in areas where 35 Mbps is not available. Trying to pick your fights with people over an internet speed discussion is in poor taste, and clearly that is what you are doing, given this post and the one after.

Plus I don't know that your facts are correct. Out of curiosity, I fact-checked your post and what I found was that on SpeedTest, the United States ranks #8 in the world for Internet speeds, and I don't see China on the list. I'm pretty sure internet speeds in China are among the worst in the entire world.

If a 3rd world country can have a cheap internet deal with 80mbps on a metropolitan area, I wonder why a 1st world country coundn't for someone to say Stadia requirements are unrealistc.

I can't imagine playing Thumper with input lag, that game is already frigging hard in VR with the lowest latency possible.

CuCabeludo said:
RaptorChrist said:

If a 3rd world country can have a cheap internet deal with 80mbps on a metropolitan area, I wonder why a 1st world country coundn't for someone to say Stadia requirements are unrealistc.

I have you figured out. No one likes to admit when they are wrong, but in this case I would very much like to know if my assessment here is accurate or not.

Assessment (I tried to separate my thoughts into small sentences so it's easier to follow how I deduced everything):

You have a negative bias towards the US. As a result of this bias, and perhaps the bias of your peers, you have been under the impression that the US has poor internet speeds. (Is this true so far? Don't feel judged, I'm genuinely curious.)

As you've already stated, you live in a third-world country; Brazil. (I wouldn't have considered Brazil a third-world country, as I don't know much about it, but why would someone who doesn't live in a third-world country state that they do? When I think of third-world country, my mind goes to places in Africa. When I think of Brazil, I think of sandy beaches and women with big butts. A pleasant place.)

You've been under the impression this whole time that Brazil has better internet speed than the US. Perhaps you like having something about the place you live that is better than the world's leading superpower.

You read my reply to you, where I state how your post was factually incorrect. You thought China had the best internet in the world. You thought the US was near the bottom. You think to yourself, "The United States is #8 in the world for Internet speed? No way!" This is news to you. In disbelief, you do a few Google searches and discover the truth. You think to yourself, "Brazil only has 5 Mbps as the country average? And 80 Mbps is actually considered below average in the US? The US average speed is over 120 Mbps!"

(I was being hyperbolic in the previous paragraph.)

Now you are slightly irritated. You feel resent towards the person who called you out for your mistakes, despite him being polite and fair. The last thing you would do here is to admit to your mistakes.

Assessment done. We're all human, and we're all prone to having likes and dislikes. I don't mean to offend you. I do, however, hope you will be more open-minded in the future, and perhaps argue your points in the manner of a legitimate debate. As things are now, it seems that you are unwilling to accept new ideas and engage in meaningful conversations. And that makes you not fun to talk to. Do you not want to be fun to talk to?

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Ganoncrotch said:
As soon as you approach that question of "who is this for?" Then the whole thing falls to pieces imo. It's for that person who has an unlimited high speed broadband package, but doesn't have any gaming devices on the end of that. Also it's for the casual gamer who doesn't want to invest in gaming hardware but will buy a sub to core gaming and start buying 60e AAA games on that?

This unicorn just didn't exist imo.

Does my post read "fast internet speeds does not exist" I'm fairly certain it doesn't.

Also, woohoo, you have 80Mbps, do you have no gaming devices which make use of that connection? if you have any console which does you are also after missing another part of my post.

I'm not saying that good internet doesn't exist, but my connection there has 2 gaming PC's at the end of it, as well as 2 Nintendo Switches and a PS4. If I didn't have those systems and just wanted my mobile phone to connect to facebook I would go for a mobile only solution which is what I know a ton of people here to be on, that won't cut it for Stadia as the data caps on those things peak at around 20GB/Month for the basic Facebook packages.

Again the person who has a 50+e internet connection and wants to game with it probably already has put a console on the end of that line, if you aren't willing to splash out on a 200e or so PS4 then you probably won't go online pre order the stadia controller then sign up for a subscription and buy a 60e copy of Doom Eternal on it, that person just doesn't exist imo.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CuCabeludo said:
RaptorChrist said:

I didn't say it was unrealistic, I said that a person who meets the requirements meets those requirements for their already installed gaming devices which they will not be too keen to turn away from for the ability to buy those same games again but with latency in single player titles from an unproven service from a company known to drop things if they don't do gangbusters out the gate.

Think of it like this.... I'm not saying that petrol for a car is something that people don't have, but what I am saying is Google is reaching out to find customers who have a unlimited supply of petrol in their homes but who also don't own anything which makes use of that petrol, they are appealing to a customer who I don't think exists.

And obviously someone can go out and buy a high speed broadband line and get stadia and get step up with Google Stadia, but have you spoken to people who don't want to spend 1.99 on a phone app they play around the clock? You can't convince that person to upgrade their broadband to unlimited and subscribe to a monthly fee to allow them to buy a 60e AAA game, those customers who want AAA games will pay the cost of a system to own it (or as much as you can own software) Think of it like this, a game on the PS4 or Stadia costs 60e say.... but the PS4 itself costs around €200, which means that the platform along with the controls/storage/leads to play it on only costs around the price of 3x AAA games, relatively speaking that is a really low barrier to entry to gaming, and the customer who Google Stadia is appealing to does not want to step over this very low barrier.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RaptorChrist said:

(I wouldn't have considered Brazil a third-world country, as I don't know much about it, but why would someone who doesn't live in a third-world country state that they do? When I think of third-world country, my mind goes to places in Africa. When I think of Brazil, I think of sandy beaches and women with big butts. A pleasant place.)

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

RaptorChrist said:

I wouldn't have considered Brazil a third-world country, as I don't know much about it, but why would someone who doesn't live in a third-world country state that they do? When I think of third-world country, my mind goes to places in Africa. When I think of Brazil, I think of sandy beaches and women with big butts. A pleasant place.

Africa has these too.

There is also a bunch of Mac users that are exited about Stadia. They don't want to buy PC(Windows) to play games. With Stadia the only thing they need to do is download a Chrome, same with iPhone fans. It will take a while until Stadia is available for iPhones, but when it happens it means more entitled folks willing spend money on Google platform for gaming.