By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real problem with Google Stadia (Halloween edition)

So what you are basically saying is that the lack of games aimed at children tells us that adults/young adults, aged 18-28, mostly single and with no kids, with a high-income job and expensive lifestyle are the target audience, and as such this is a problem since said specific market mostly preffers not to play videogames at all?
You are being very specific, I think its has other larger issues, like, existence itself.

Around the Network

Google Stadia is a bad deal for the consumer. Nevermind Google tends to kill its services after a couple of years, nevermind the lineup is outdated and has some glaring flaws (JRPGs anyone?), nevermind you still have to buy the games for full price, nevermind this whole service is in the end limited by your own internet provider and thus won't match real hardware. No ownership of games, no buy. It is that simple.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Stadia doesn't attract customers by the choice of their games but by the method they can consume them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Most original thread I've seen in a long time. Props to you.

And I agree that Stadia will struggle to find its audience. Dedicated/core gamers (like us) will for the time being keep playing our games locally and the mainstream/casual gamers (free phone game loving scum – just kidding) probably won't like the fact that with Stadia you have to buy every single game individually as you do on Steam. I think game streaming will find success when it becomes truly like Netflix (fixed price for a curated and high quality library available on all devices).

As soon as you approach that question of "who is this for?" Then the whole thing falls to pieces imo. It's for that person who has an unlimited high speed broadband package, but doesn't have any gaming devices on the end of that. Also it's for the casual gamer who doesn't want to invest in gaming hardware but will buy a sub to core gaming and start buying 60e AAA games on that?

This unicorn just didn't exist imo.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Quantity of titles is smaller than a real platform launch offering new content, and they are doing it with old titles with more than half not even being really interesting.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ganoncrotch said:
As soon as you approach that question of "who is this for?" Then the whole thing falls to pieces imo. It's for that person who has an unlimited high speed broadband package, but doesn't have any gaming devices on the end of that. Also it's for the casual gamer who doesn't want to invest in gaming hardware but will buy a sub to core gaming and start buying 60e AAA games on that?

This unicorn just didn't exist imo.

yeah cause 35Mbps is something only heard in science fiction. I have 80Mbps in my area here in Brazil and is not even the fastest deal, no data cap.

Data caps is only a major problem in US, which is a decade behind places like China which is already operating 5G in full force in the major metropolitan areas.

I've got 300 Mbps with a 1 TB cap. If my understanding is correct, exceeding the TB cap will cause my plan to automatically upgrade to the unlimited plan for an extra $30 for that month. There have been quite a few months that I have exceeded the cap, but so far they have "courteously" waived the fee. For the record, I've only exceeded the cap by 10-15% at most, but it is quite annoying that this limit exists.

To me, Stadia seems to be ahead of its time. I would not be surprised if this becomes the standard at some point in time, but 2019 might be too early. The concept is great because it allows people to play games without needing to purchase a gaming console or a PC, which is probably a barrier for some people that would otherwise be gamers.

You kinda right. The model is lame, but the content is also an issue.
Even though is far more attractive to watch movies on Netflix, I go to cinema to watch a new movie, because of it is the only way to watch at the moment.

If the only way to play a game I want is to use stadia, I would, despite the model.
They need attractive exclusive games, if they intend to keep their model.