By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real problem with Google Stadia (Halloween edition)

CuCabeludo said:

There is also a bunch of Mac users that are exited about Stadia. They don't want to buy PC(Windows) to play games. With Stadia the only thing they need to do is download a Chrome, same with iPhone fans. It will take a while until Stadia is available for iPhones, but when it happens it means more entitled folks willing spend money on Google platform for gaming.

iPhone fans by definition would not be a fan of the Google OS at the very least, but you think they would not go with the apple arcade game service and instead go for the service made by the developer of Android OS?

This is like suggesting that someone with a PS4 might get into games at the point where Halo comes to the system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
CuCabeludo said:

There is also a bunch of Mac users that are exited about Stadia. They don't want to buy PC(Windows) to play games. With Stadia the only thing they need to do is download a Chrome, same with iPhone fans. It will take a while until Stadia is available for iPhones, but when it happens it means more entitled folks willing spend money on Google platform for gaming.

iPhone fans by definition would not be a fan of the Google OS at the very least, but you think they would not go with the apple arcade game service and instead go for the service made by the developer of Android OS?

This is like suggesting that someone with a PS4 might get into games at the point where Halo comes to the system.

The only thing they need to do is download Chrome for iOS, and Stadia will be working through Chrome. Until eventyally Google comes with a proper Stadia app.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 30 October 2019

CuCabeludo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The only thing they need to do is download Chrome for iOS, and Stadia will be working through Chrome. Until eventyally Google comes with a proper Stadia app.

So.... open chrome browser, navigate to stadia, open Doom Eternal that you paid 60e for in the app.... and..... touchscreen controls for Doom Eternal?

That player doesn't exist.... if you wanted a portable version of Doom Eternal and you're fine with paying 60e for the game you would get a Switch Lite and copy of the game that way, it would be infinitely more playable than using a iphone with no controller.

I know there is controllers you can attach to the phone if you want to get into gaming. but you are suggesting all they need to down is download the app/browser, that experience is going to be DS without further investment.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
CuCabeludo said:

So.... open chrome browser, navigate to stadia, open Doom Eternal that you paid 60e for in the app.... and..... touchscreen controls for Doom Eternal?

The market is stuffed with controllers that work with phones, starting with 25 or so bucks.

CuCabeludo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The market is stuffed with controllers that work with phones, starting with 25 or so bucks.

Aye, and where would one download this? does it come packed in with the chrome installer for the phone? Oh... yeah you mean spend money on game hardware, got ya.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
CuCabeludo said:

Aye, and where would one download this? does it come packed in with the chrome installer for the phone? Oh... yeah you mean spend money on game hardware, got ya.

Still cheaper than a whole gaming PC, buy a controller, download Chrome and its done.

CuCabeludo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Still cheaper than a whole gaming PC, buy a controller, download Chrome and its done.

And you need to make sure you're in 4g at least connection to the service... and you also need to subscribe to the service and you have to buy the game on the service to play it, so again.... the gamers who Apple are having trouble getting to sign up for Apple Arcade which gives them a ton of games to play.... they're going to be expected to pay about 10 times that cost and handle additional hardware to be able to play Doom Eternal, with lag on a mobile phone screen. That doesn't sound like a cheap option to me, it sounds like a way to throw away money, up front for the hardware, on a sub basis for the service and in lump sums to buy the access to the individual games.

Ganoncrotch said:
CuCabeludo said:

And you need to make sure you're in 4g at least connection to the service... and you also need to subscribe to the service and you have to buy the game on the service to play it, so again.... the gamers who Apple are having trouble getting to sign up for Apple Arcade which gives them a ton of games to play.... they're going to be expected to pay about 10 times that cost and handle additional hardware to be able to play Doom Eternal, with lag on a mobile phone screen. That doesn't sound like a cheap option to me, it sounds like a way to throw away money, up front for the hardware, on a sub basis for the service and in lump sums to buy the access to the individual games.

You can't compare the games of Apple play to AAA console-PC like titles. 4G is not required if you are at home. The subscription of Stadia is not only about 4k and 5.1 surround. Subscribers will get some free games from times to times and discounts when buying a game.

I am not saying people will jump altogether on day one. Stadia will struggle for years and Google knows that. It is a new business model in the works that wants to bring your games with you wherever you are, and internet speeds/infrastructure will only get better over the next decade. No company has yet invested in Cloud gaming in the scale Google is investing right now, and it will push other companies to go to the next level (yes XCloud is just a Xbox One S in the cloud and the stream is limited to just 720P/30 FPS) in the years ahead.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 31 October 2019

Network lag will always be added to all the other lags a gamer would normally have on a local machine, and it's a lag comparable to a HDD one even on very fast connections, and many orders of magnitude higher than the internal bus lag we have when we have enough RAM to load a whole level on RAM. So the experience on games that have fast gameplay would be comparable to playing them on a very low-end PC. It's not a casual thing that the most successful online games either are very simple or simplified or if they are more complex, at least they make you download and install game engine and levels locally first, so they only have to transmit a limited amount of data to tell you what's happening in the game world. Most surely, if you want hi-res graphics at a high framerate and low latency, you need a powerful GPU locally, a cloud based one could work only for fixed frames or low framerate and when latency higher than what's acceptable in gaming isn't a problem.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!