By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - EA and Valve announce partnership

I have the feelis this is kinda pointless. If you still need to install and operate Origin to play EA games, is there going to be a functional difference?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
I have the feelis this is kinda pointless. If you still need to install and operate Origin to play EA games, is there going to be a functional difference?

That you will be able to load them through Steam  instead of Origin? Pretty biiiiiiiig stuff. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Oh boy. Please put Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 3 on Steam... And then it's uninstall Origin time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

shikamaru317 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

It reads to me like you don't need to install Origin. Press release mentions EA games coming to Steam, and crossplay functionality between Steam and Origin.

Do we know for sure you won't need Origin anymore? I'm not sure if taking it out would make EA happy, even if they are once again on a bigger platform.

Then again, if you still need their DRM 3rd party software, we're in the same place as before...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

You still need Origin installed. It will be just like Ubisoft with their games and UPlay. And I also bet Red Dead 2 will require the Rockstar Launcher for Steam.

On the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order page it states that you do need Origin.

Around the Network

HL3 with microstransactions and episodic content

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Pemalite said:
Oh boy. Please put Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 3 on Steam... And then it's uninstall Origin time.

Well, going by Jedi: Fallen order's non req to install Origin when using the Steam version, could entail the same happening for the rest of these gasmes, including BFV, which imo is a great sign, and something Ubisoft should be taking a lot of notes from (because we don't need 4 sodding layers of DRM on PC, just to play a single game).

If EA continue to sell their games on Steam, without requiring Origin at all, then I too would drop Origin and instead opt to use Steam for EA purchases (assuming these future games are not massive skinner-boxes with loaded MT's). Also, we could also be seeing the C&C remaster showing up on Steam, which will mark an 10yr gap since the last C&C that was sold on Steam, which was C&C 4. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

mZuzek said:
"EA and Valve announce partnership"

Big yikes.

Actual thread content doesn't sound too bad, though.

Tbh, it's better than hearing "ubisoft and other pubs, form partnership with EG". 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I want my Dead Space 3 and Command and Conquer collection transferred to Steam and off Origin. Kthzbye.

shikamaru317 said:
Nice to see that Valve is finally starting to respond to the Epic Games Store threat by making big plays like this. Getting EA games on Steam is a pretty big move.

Who says it has to be a response to EGS though? Valve does plenty of things behind the scenes and is always advancing Steam with stuff like Steam Proton last year and just recently Remote Play Together. This deal could easily have been just-as-business usual for them regardless of whether the EGS existed or not, we don't know if EA approached Valve or Valve approached EA either. 

It'll be dumb if everything Valve does from now on since the inception of the EGS is just immediately credited to EGS because of "competition finally forcing them to do stuff" when they've already been doing plenty of different things for Steam for a long time already. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 30 October 2019