By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When it comes to features, Nintendo is annoyingly ADD

There's one thing that annoys me with Nintendo and their approach to features. And it's their habit adding and dropping features from their consoles whenever they damn feel like it. For example.

* Pictochat - An application that lets you send text and drawn messages to nearby DS owners.
Fate: Axed entirely for the 3DS
* StreetPass - A feature that lets your 3DS communicate with and exchange data from other nearby systems even in sleep mode
Fate: Dropped for the Nintendo Switch, a system who's main selling point is taking it with you
* Wii Channels - A variety of applications for the Wii that allowed you to check the Forecasts, News, vote on popular Miis, view Photos, and more
Fate: Most were dropped in future systems, or retro-fitted into other features
* Virtual Console - A service that sold Retro titles from various systems like the NES as individual downloads
Fate: Replaced with Netflix-style apps as part of your Nintendo Switch Online Subscription
* Miiverse - A social media service dedicated to games that allowed you to posts screens, drawings, and tips relating to compatible titles
Fate: Closed, and replaced with the ability to post Captured Screens and Video Clips to third party social media services
* Sound, Camera, Activity Logs - Apps that let you playback audio files, take and view photos, and check your Play history on the 3DS
Fate: All three of them are gone, with the Activity Log reduced to a heavily stripped down feature in your Nintendo Switch user profile.

And that's just a sampling of the features Nintendo drops when they get bored of them. For the record, I'm fine with the Switch's lightweight OS as it's a rather refreshing change of pace from other devices, and I get removing features that nobody uses. But many of these were actually cool and well supported features for their respective systems.

What's the point in Nintendo introducing all these cool features, only to drop them the next system with no logic or consistency. Their ADHD philosophy regarding console features has always been a rather annoying trait about their products.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Have you seen what mii verse became? Some sick, sick shit was created. When Nintendo can't police or control something they abolish it and thw same for features that aren't being used or don't gel with current software direction or tech, perhaps their vision of services change too. I don't like Nintendo post, mid Wii era but this seems reasonable to be esspecially when they are abused to such disgusting degrees.

Miiverse did have mods and rules, their reasoning for closing it was because they wanted people to post on social medias everyone uses.

John2290 said:
Have you seen what mii verse became? Some sick, sick shit was created. When Nintendo can't police or control something they abolish it and thw same for features that aren't being used or don't gel with current software direction or tech, perhaps their vision of services change too. I don't like Nintendo post, mid Wii era but this seems reasonable to be esspecially when they are abused to such disgusting degrees.

Do you have any exemples of this?

RedKingXIII said:
John2290 said:

Do you have any exemples of this?

I don't think you want any examples of it. Especially the last few hours before it was canned. 

I miss Miiverse, it was so nice. But some stupid idiots just had to spoil it for everyone. This is why we can't have nice things. Because dumbfuckery from a bunch of trolls for shits and giggles.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Miiverse did have mods and rules, their reasoning for closing it was because they wanted people to post on social medias everyone uses.

I'm sure the meme culture surroundin it had more to do with it's closure than their official statements. 

Ha if that's worthy enough cause to close it, you may as well shut down the entire internet. Oh, I guess Nintendo kinda did that by not including an internet browser on the Switch, so you're actually probably right.

Pictochat was dropped because it was being used by predators to groom kids when several incidents happened the feature was axed.

Good. I don’t need any of this bloat. Not on any gaming console, I just want a system that plays games, because that’s what I buy it for. Switch has the best home screen since the invention of home screens.

I just miss having a browser.

I was actually thinking of making a similar thread a few days ago about technology/features that need a second chance (PlayStation Home, Miiverse, Kinect).

S.Peelman said:
Good. I don’t need any of this bloat. Not on any gaming console, I just want a system that plays games, because that’s what I buy it for. Switch has the best home screen since the invention of home screens.

I agree with this; I appreciate the Ps2 and GC when I play them still today for taking me straight to the game.