By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am thinking about buying a switch...

There is constantly deals on the E shop. Botw doesnt budge in price much but its easily the best game ive played in a long time. Memory card depends on if you plan to buy digital. I would also recommend Hellblade senua's sacrifice.

Around the Network

Nice! The Switch is fantastic and has a great variety of games.

The Nintendo eShop has some good deals. Big games like Zelda and Mario don't go on sale that often, or at all (but they're amazing games, so it's worth it!), but third party and indie games go on sale fairly frequently. Buy a Micro SD card if you plan to buy mostly digital.

Go with the regular Switch if you plan to play on the TV. Otherwise, the Switch Lite will do you good if you just want a portable experience. Plus, the Switch Lite is $100 cheaper.

You need a subscription to Nintendo Switch Online to play games online, including Pokemon.

Hope this helps!

Is nintendo shop any good?
Yes. it's simple and easy to navigate and there is a section for discounted games.
You can often find very good deals, but for third party titles only, not for Nintendo games, they usually stay at full price.

How many years of life does the switch still have?
Switch will be the main Nintendo console at least until 2023, so for another 4 years from now.

Do i need to buy memory card first?
Nope, if it's just for Pokemon you can just use the internal memory (32Gb).

Do i need to pay online subcription to play pokemon online?
Yeah, to play the online component of the game you will need to subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online, it's €19,90 per year.
You will also get free access to the best NES and SNES games and unique games such as Tetris 99. And cloud saves for your games!

If you plan to play Switch only in handheld mode I suggest you to buy the Lite model (€199), otherwise just get the revised original model (€299) to play as you like on Tv.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 26 October 2019

There's hardly any good deal when it comes to Nintendo products unless you plan to wait for a long time. You might as well just buy it now.

Pokemon looks amazing, can't wait. The Switch is Nintendo's best since the SNES. Worth every penny.

Around the Network

As anyone in this forum would tell you, Nintendo products are near perfect. Nintendo games are amazing and games ported to that console are "the ultimate way to play them" even tho they are all blurry. But its cool, since as we've learned resolution is only important in any other console.

Seriously tho, ive personally enjoyed my Switch mainly because of BOTW, MK8 deluxe and Astral Chain. Cant really say much of other games, I guess im not Nintendo's target audience. Even Odyssey bored me. The NEshop is alright, not as varied as maybe you'd hope and lacking a Virtual Console department which for some reason I had assumed itd have. But its getting Pokemon in a couple of days, and Untitled Goose Game is fun, so yeah, theres that. Would say its worth it specially if you get it on sale.

If you are unconvinced and bored just buy MHW and play for like 500hours. That game is more fun than the ones you mention.

If you're burnt out by games, not sure it'll help. Playing in bed or at the toilet is pretty sweet though.

Sounds like you need some less serious games in your life. Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario+Rabbids, DKC: Tropical Freeze are just pure fun.

I love the switch. It's such a great system. Before the switch, I found myself playing less and less. Not because I didn't WANT to play, I just basically couldn't. With the craziness of having a family, working 12 hour days, having a 3 year old autistic daughter..... I just couldnt, and didn't, play anymore....

Then came the switch. It's amazing how you can squeeze in a play session in between a hectic life. For me, alot of it is just lifestyle...

My take on what you posted, go get yourself a switch. You'll love it, and play at times you couldnt otherwise.

As for eshop sales, they have sales constantly. I have a little over 200 games, 50 physical, and tons of those were picked up on a huge sale.

As for a micro sd card, wait until the shopping season, Amazon will have the 512 GB one for 50 bucks or so. They had it on sale for $56, about 2 months ago. I stupidly passed on it because my 256 wasnt full... it hasnt gone on sale since. I did pick up a 400 GB chip for 50 though. If you do get one, let us know what games you get with it.

I own a switch and like it. I bought it near launch. But, as a matter of principal, nobody should buy one until the Joycon issue is addressed in an adequate way. Nintendo has sold everyone trash hardware. Simply fixing it for (most, but not all owners) a while lter, after you go without your Joycon for a couple weeks, is not acceptable. They've released a second piece of hardware with seemingly the same problem. So, they clearly haven't gotten the message. Therefore, nobody should purchase a Switch until Nintendo releases revised joycons that don't have the drift issue.