By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are your gyro preferences?

Since the release of the Switch, I've heard a lot of good about gyro aiming controls but never had the chance to try them out for myself. That changed last week when I purchased Overwatch for Switch. 

I've got to admit I'm currently struggling with the controls on Switch after spending so much time with it on PC. I'm still trying to find what works for me but I was curious to know how you guys use the gyro controls in games that allow it. Do you aim solely with the gyro or use the right analog stick to pan the camera and the  gyro for fine tuning?

What about aim assist? Do you leave it turned on (assuming there's an aim assist in the game)? I've found that in Overwatch the aim assist was screwing me up big time, when I turned it off I found the gyro movement to be much smoother.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Right stick for general camera movement, gyro for precise aiming. Works like a charm to me.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

As Metallox said, it's very subtle gyro movements generally, but in games like Splatoon, there is only so fast you can spin the camera with the joystick, so if you want to do a quick 180 you would use both the joystick and the gyro at the same time since they are additive. I can't speak for overwatch, but Splatoon had a button (I think Y) which would re-center your orientation, which allows for those movements without a change in relative playing position.

Edit: I haven't experienced aim assist myself, but I can totally see how it could be better off disabled if you are being forced to compensate for an aim assist that is difficult to predict.

I prefer my gyros with tzaziki and french fries

Conina said:
I prefer my gyros with tzaziki and french fries

No half-green, hard as a hockey puck tomatoes please. Gyros are never cheap, taste amazing, and aren't very filling. An HQ Gyro for a more reasonable price is dream territory. As it is, I usually buy 2 for $20 and always want more. Ridiculous.

I don't think I've ever used one? Is the PS3 Sixaxis a true gyro controller? If so, I LOVED controlling the arrows in Heavenly Sword. Then, I crossed some logs in Uncharted, then nothing ever again.....Although I think there were 1 or 2 games on the PS4 I played that had some minor gyro functionality, it was not part of the main game play.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

My son swears by it (despite repeatedly washing his mouth out with soap) for Splatoon 1 & 2 but I never got used to it and have it turned off.

Yeah, right stick for turning the camera, gyro for fine tuning the reticule for me too.

Haven't played Overwatch on Switch, but I used gyro in Doom, Wolfenstein II, and Splatoon 2.

I'm so glad that the Switch is keeping motion aiming alive, in my opinion it is far superior to analogue stick alone.

curl-6 said:

Yeah, right stick for turning the camera, gyro for fine tuning the reticule for me too.

Haven't played Overwatch on Switch, but I used gyro in Doom, Wolfenstein II, and Splatoon 2.

I'm so glad that the Switch is keeping motion aiming alive, in my opinion it is far superior to analogue stick alone.

It definitely is superior but I miss the accuracy on pointer controls like what they had in Resident Evil 4 on Wii.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
curl-6 said:

It definitely is superior but I miss the accuracy on pointer controls like what they had in Resident Evil 4 on Wii.

I recall there being a fair bit of input lag when it came to the pointer. For a period of time it was very satisfying to play, as it was a new type of gaming input, but overall I felt limited by the pointer controls.

Of course it depends on the circumstances, I suppose. I never liked using the pointer controls for menu-ing, for example. Like how there was no way to navigate the Wii menu without pointing at the screen (IIRC).

For a game like RE4, though, I did enjoy the playstyle of the Wii playthrough moreso than I did the controls of the Gamecube playthrough. So pointer controls beat analog stick, but analog stick + gyro beats pointer controls, in my opinion.

RaptorChrist said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I recall there being a fair bit of input lag when it came to the pointer. For a period of time it was very satisfying to play, as it was a new type of gaming input, but overall I felt limited by the pointer controls.

Of course it depends on the circumstances, I suppose. I never liked using the pointer controls for menu-ing, for example. Like how there was no way to navigate the Wii menu without pointing at the screen (IIRC).

For a game like RE4, though, I did enjoy the playstyle of the Wii playthrough moreso than I did the controls of the Gamecube playthrough. So pointer controls beat analog stick, but analog stick + gyro beats pointer controls, in my opinion.

Guess I need to play more to adapt to it but I don't think it can beat mouse and keyboard.

Signature goes here!