By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker final trailer

Hard pass.

Around the Network

I'm going to see it for sure but damn did The Last Jedi kill my enthusiasm for Star Wars movies. It's gonna be more of a "let's see if they can recover from TLJ" type of experience than a "OMG I can't wait to see what happens" type of thing.

Signature goes here!

KLAMarine said:
If Rey were to go the dark side, it would help explain her being so overpowered early on. The dark side is easy after all if lore memory serves me right. Otherwise, still a Mary Sue.

The third film in the first two Star Wars trilogies revolved around a theme of temptation toward the Dark Side, and we can see that that's going to be the case here too. Luke successfully resisted in Return of the Jedi. Anakin, by contrast, gave in in Revenge of the Sith. What I'm most interested in is whether The Rise of Skywalker will retread either of those paths or open up a third path of some kind, which would be the most interesting possibility for my taste. Even the title seems to hint at such a possibility. When you think about the analogous entries in the earlier two Star Wars trilogies, you'll notice that their titles describe one side or the other of the Force (the Jedi and the Sith respectively). This one doesn't. Instead it describes a family: Skywalker. A family that has been on both sides of the Force before. See what I'm saying?

spurgeonryan said:
I still need to see the last one.

Do ya'll think this will fix everything or people will still be mad at where star wars has gone?

It’s the internet. People will be pissed no matter what. No matter how the story ends, there will be neckbeards angry that the savior is a woman.

I just wish Disney/Marvel tried to do this kind of visual authenticity in Marvel movies effects.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
KLAMarine said:
If Rey were to go the dark side, it would help explain her being so overpowered early on. The dark side is easy after all if lore memory serves me right. Otherwise, still a Mary Sue.

The third film in the first two Star Wars trilogies revolved around a theme of temptation toward the Dark Side, and we can see that that's going to be the case here too. Luke successfully resisted in Return of the Jedi. Anakin, by contrast, gave in in Revenge of the Sith. What I'm most interested in is whether The Rise of Skywalker will retread either of those paths or open up a third path of some kind, which would be the most interesting possibility for my taste. Even the title seems to hint at such a possibility. When you think about the analogous entries in the earlier two Star Wars trilogies, you'll notice that their titles describe one side or the other of the Force (the Jedi and the Sith respectively). This one doesn't. Instead it describes a family: Skywalker. A family that has been on both sides of the Force before. See what I'm saying?

I'd rather see Rey go to the dark side along with Kylo. She'd make a great villain with Palpatine calling the shots.

But I also kind of just don't really care anymore. Go crazy with it at this point.

Its annoying to be that "negative" guy when it comes to this franchise cause I used to love it, I remember being so hyped before Episode 1, and I was so hyped before TFA, and now that the latest trilogy is going to conclude my hype is gone tbh. I dont particularly care that much. This trailer didnt do much for me either, its just "another trailer" that looks similar and works similar to other SW trailers.

I really do hope Rey goes to the dark side, tho I highly doubt that will ever happen, but that is the one thing that comes to mind that could make the conclusion very interesting. And how it plays out with Kylo's character, seeing himself reflected in Rey's "evil" turn. Then again, this is probably just going to be a linear and very straighforward story. I just hope they do give Poe and Finn something to do this time.

Rey should've gone with Kylo in The Last Jedi. Obviously the ending would've been different then but I think that would've taken the story in a much more interesting direction.

LudicrousSpeed said:
spurgeonryan said:
I still need to see the last one.

Do ya'll think this will fix everything or people will still be mad at where star wars has gone?

It’s the internet. People will be pissed no matter what. No matter how the story ends, there will be neckbeards angry that the savior is a woman.

I can only speak for myself (and my beard doesn't even quite reach my neck haha) but I couldn't possibly care less if the protagonist is female. How pathetic would somebody have to be to be threatened by a fictional film protagonist? haha. I think I've said before, Hunger Games is one of my favorite movies of the last decade..

I dislike The Last Jedi because it was just incredibly bland and boring, with incredibly bland and boring characters, a myriad of plot holes and events that made no sense, and they basically destroyed Luke's character in the process. Rian Johnson seemed desperate to "subvert your expectations" but he basically only did this by having nothing of note happen lol. What's Rey's significance? "Ehhh, nothing!" How about Snoke.. "Ehh, he's just some evil guy! Also he's dead now!" Oh and that shameless ripoff of the beginning of empire at the end with the "salt planet." hahaha

Oh I guess you're referring more to episode IX though.. It has the potential to be awesome, but I just don't see where they could go with it for it to be interesting.

I do think it would be an interesting twist to have Rey go to the dark side. This would help redeem the last two films and would somewhat make sense contextually, as the dark side is supposed to be "easier, quicker" which seems to characterize Rey's learning and usage of the force. Though I feel like that's a bit too nuanced for Disney.. Doubt they'd take a risk that big.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 22 October 2019

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Last jedi was poorly executed. Hope JJ will fix the mess of the second.