By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker final trailer

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Shadow1980 said:

Don't listen to the haters. The Last Jedi is definitely worth watching. I thought it was a great movie. It wasn't perfect. I thought it had some minor pacing issues in the middle act, and an example of a character doing the whole "stare aghast at the horrible thing for too long before doing anything about it" routine, but I'd rate it a solid 9/10, and it keeps getting better with every rewatch. As mentioned above, as a film it was objectively good (hence the good critic reviews and multiple awards). This whole "TLJ ruined Star Wars forever" meme is just some fans being hyperbolic. Star Wars has supposedly been "RUINED FOREVER" more times than I can recall: Ewoks, the changes made in the Special Editions, Jar Jar, midichlorians, "I hate sand," "NOOOOO!," and so on. If Star Wars survived all of that, I think it can survive The Last Jedi. I think most of the hate is just fans frustrated that the film didn't confirm their headcanon regarding things like how certain characters ought to be portrayed, though some of the hate is clearly political, and comes from the same "anti-SJW" circles that railed against Captain Marvel and the new She-Ra and other films and shows they perceived as "too woke" for their tastes.

I think The Last Jedi is still available on Netflix, so if you have the free time go watch it and decide for yourself if you like it.

"Don't listen to the haters" a.k.a. live in ignorance to the actual criticisms and just blindly believe that what you say are the reasons behind the hate.

People don't like it because it was bad, it's that simple. Anything else is your self delusion to avoid accepting this inconvenient truth. Also, the original trilogy isn't headcannon lol, you can't just ignore it and make Luke change drastically for the sake of a dumb plot.

I found the contradiction between the two bolded bits hilarious

"Don't close yourself off to other views."

"But also here is the correct view all other views are self-delusion."

OT: First day pre-sales were 2.5x those of The Last Jedi in the US. Its early days yet, but off to a phenomenal start.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I'm beyond the point of caring, which is somewhat liberating. I will admit, I actually got angry watching Star Wars:Rebels. It was almost 2 years ago it happened, but it DID happen. LOL. Some unbelievable 90's TMNT cartoon-level lazy crap in a some episodes. Which was a bit frustrating, because there was some really good stuff in that series. Never finished Rebels, and never will. So I did care about Star Wars to be sure. It was a shadow of the much superior Clone Wars. Absolutely the best interpretation of Star Wars ever made. I understand there will be a new season, but again, don't care any more.

Oh my god though, the new movies. The new era. Disney. The people behind it all....I need to restrain myself, because I'm somewhat worried what I say may be misconstrued not only as political, but also that my leanings will be improperly identified as a result. I was literally called "one of those people" the last time I said much of anything on the topic, and had to hold back on going nuclear on somebody who had an atomic rebuttal headed their way. I don't want to deal with that shit.

IDK what to say about the trailer.....It looks alright? The effects are top notch. Meaningless though.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 24 October 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Shadow1980 said:
ResidentToxy said:

You just described the prequels. Hell, even George Lucas admitted that Jar Jar Binks was inspired by Goofy. It makes sense that Star Wars is owned by Disney now too. The majority of the prequels was just an excuse to sell toys. 

And at least the Disney-era films are objectively better as films than the prequels. George Lucas was the kind of filmmaker that worked best within limitations. He was limited by a budget and by editors in A New Hope, and he didn't even direct TESB and ROTJ. The Special Editions were just a taste of what he could do when he wasn't limited to practical effects, and the prequels showed exactly what kind of filmmaker he was when given full creative control and freed from most constraints and anyone to tell him "no." Executive meddling quite often produces a compromised product, but in some cases it's needed. Lucas has a vivid imagination and a lot of vision, but he also needed limitations and clear boundaries and maybe even kept out of the director's chair. The prequels are not bad films (I still watch them and enjoy them, warts and all), but they could have been so much better than they were. The new sequels and spin-off films have far better acting, cinematography, writing, etc.

spurgeonryan said:
I still need to see the last one.

Do ya'll think this will fix everything or people will still be mad at where star wars has gone?

Don't listen to the haters. The Last Jedi is definitely worth watching. I thought it was a great movie. It wasn't perfect. I thought it had some minor pacing issues in the middle act, and an example of a character doing the whole "stare aghast at the horrible thing for too long before doing anything about it" routine, but I'd rate it a solid 9/10, and it keeps getting better with every rewatch. As mentioned above, as a film it was objectively good (hence the good critic reviews and multiple awards). This whole "TLJ ruined Star Wars forever" meme is just some fans being hyperbolic. Star Wars has supposedly been "RUINED FOREVER" more times than I can recall: Ewoks, the changes made in the Special Editions, Jar Jar, midichlorians, "I hate sand," "NOOOOO!," and so on. If Star Wars survived all of that, I think it can survive The Last Jedi. I think most of the hate is just fans frustrated that the film didn't confirm their headcanon regarding things like how certain characters ought to be portrayed, though some of the hate is clearly political, and comes from the same "anti-SJW" circles that railed against Captain Marvel and the new She-Ra and other films and shows they perceived as "too woke" for their tastes.

I think The Last Jedi is still available on Netflix, so if you have the free time go watch it and decide for yourself if you like it.

"Disney-era films are objectively better as films than the prequels."

>Not too sure about this. At least the prequels had an end in mind: the rise of Darth Vader. Sequels don't feel like there was a plan to begin with. SOMEHOW, the empire is back and they managed to build a XXL death star without anyone noticing. Rebel alliance are rebels again SOMEHOW.

KLAMarine said:
Shadow1980 said:

And at least the Disney-era films are objectively better as films than the prequels. George Lucas was the kind of filmmaker that worked best within limitations. He was limited by a budget and by editors in A New Hope, and he didn't even direct TESB and ROTJ. The Special Editions were just a taste of what he could do when he wasn't limited to practical effects, and the prequels showed exactly what kind of filmmaker he was when given full creative control and freed from most constraints and anyone to tell him "no." Executive meddling quite often produces a compromised product, but in some cases it's needed. Lucas has a vivid imagination and a lot of vision, but he also needed limitations and clear boundaries and maybe even kept out of the director's chair. The prequels are not bad films (I still watch them and enjoy them, warts and all), but they could have been so much better than they were. The new sequels and spin-off films have far better acting, cinematography, writing, etc.

"Disney-era films are objectively better as films than the prequels."

>Not too sure about this. At least the prequels had an end in mind: the rise of Darth Vader. Sequels don't feel like there was a plan to begin with. SOMEHOW, the empire is back and they managed to build a XXL death star without anyone noticing. Rebel alliance are rebels again SOMEHOW.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that either. Even at the height of my fandom, I thought Episode II was pretty bad. Outside of the spectacular visuals and a smattering of scenes. And since then, my opinion of the prequels has only gotten lower. But the level of unadulterated re***dation in the new movies is insane.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

starcraft said:

I found the contradiction between the two bolded bits hilarious

"Don't close yourself off to other views."

"But also here is the correct view all other views are self-delusion."

OT: First day pre-sales were 2.5x those of The Last Jedi in the US. Its early days yet, but off to a phenomenal start.

Sure if you strip away the context that Shadow is misrepresenting the criticism whereas I'm not. I'm also not saying not to do your own research, if you don't believe me just ask anyone who doesn't like the movie why they don't like it.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Pavolink said:
Is there any hype for the movie?
I've seen everything in calm around here.

maybe not in any gaming forum, but in the real life:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29543947/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-avengers-endgame-record/

I'm not saying the movie is gonna flop. It's not. It's going to do phenomenally well and I'm gonna contribute to it. What I'm going to say is what everyone else said when they heard that Rise of Skywalker destroyed Endgame's pre ticket sales; "What the hell is Atom Tickets?'

Here is hoping it isn't another Solo. Not sure what was off about Solo, but I was disappointed. I feel that it didn't really add anything to the Star Wars universe. I did like Rogue One though.

My beliefs lean more towards Democrat but I frequent lots of Republican/Conservative forums. I also have a lot of Republican friends. It's kinda shocking how often the same arguments, verbage, and even the same "clever' jokes pop up time and time again. I'm sure many of them feel they think for themselves but (for example) next time there's a stabbing in some foreign country, there will be a hundred comments saying "Ban assault knives! Ha ha."

I see that same behavior when people defend The Last Jedi. "You just don't like a female lead." or "It didn't follow the story you had in your head." or any number of premanufactured arguments that are repeated ad nauseum. I'm sure people who say these things think they're being original but...

It gets frustrating especially when there's a ton of videos that easily explain what's wrong with the movie. I used to defend Batman v Superman. I'd say "You just don't get it", "You're not a real comics fan", 'You're just a Marvel fanboy" or whatever. Turns out, BvS was just a bad movie. I didn't want to admit it.

TLJ is a bad movie (IMO) It does a lot of things wrong. It's cool if you like it. I still like BvS but I won't ever dismiss the opinion of someone who criticizes it, anymore. But  that doesn't mean that following movies can't be good. I WANT Rise of Skywalker to be great! We shall see.

d21lewis said:
EricFabian said:

maybe not in any gaming forum, but in the real life:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29543947/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-avengers-endgame-record/

I'm not saying the movie is gonna flop. It's not. It's going to do phenomenally well and I'm gonna contribute to it. What I'm going to say is what everyone else said when they heard that Rise of Skywalker destroyed Endgame's pre ticket sales; "What the hell is Atom Tickets?'

A company that Disney just so happens to own a large piece of. An even larger piece, now, since they own Fox's share, as well. 

Of course, Fandango said Solo was outpacing Black Panther, and we all know how that turned out.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 25 October 2019

I'm still going to guess that Luke Skywalker is the bad guy.

I'm just so convinced that that 'emperor' laugh in the previous trailer was not the emperor but Mark Hamill doing his Joker laugh lol