By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker final trailer

d21lewis said:
thismeintiel said:

We watch those vids because we already disliked the film and wanted to watch vids from people who agreed with us and, for some, who could verbalize it better than they could.

She's not competent, she's godly.  And that is boring.  Especially when we have already followed two other Jedi go through hardships and training to become what they are.  When you have a character who just walks up and is like, "stand down those before me, I'll show how this is done" without earning it, they are a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. 

And, yes, regardless of what you wish to believe, people would have the exact same problems if the character was a male.  In fact, those same criticisms started to pop up with Ep 1 and Anakin being space Jesus.  Surprisingly, Lucas didn't just call those critics male hating bigots and push the Gary Stu elements even more, he toned it down.  He needed to go through years of training with Obi Wan.  He got his ass handed to him by Count Dooku the first time.  Only in the 3rd film, after years of training is he near his strongest.  And even then, Obi Wan defeats him.  We see a similar path with Luke.  By the end of Ep 7, Rey is already almost at her strongest, without any training.  It's lore destroying and, like I said above, just plain boring.

So, yea, it's like I said, we can give you countless reasons the film is bad, but you will not take any note of them.  Instead, you continually step back into the "you only hate it because of wahmen."  If you actually have legit defense, try to give them, not fall back on a strawman.

Basically this. I stopped arguing with people over this film long ago. I was there on opening day, truly excited because of the reviews saying "The best Star Wars of them all". I was looking forward to being surprised, seeing where the franchise would go and what would happen to the characters. I remained hopeful throughout the film until I finally told myself "This just isn't good." I walked out of the theater feeling kinda empty. Like "What the hell did I just watch? Where is this story going? Is there even a story at all?"

The more I thought about it, the more I disliked the film. None of that feeling of "I can't wait to see what happens next!" remained. TLJ killed that for me. Watching videos and having discussions helped me articulate exactly what it was that didn't feel right about this film. They supported my opinion instead of manipulating them--though I've yet to see one that I totally agree with in every aspect...

But as far as trying to tell someone else why the film sucks? I'm done with that. They want to like/love it. That's on them. They don't want to hear reasons. Our opinion is as worthless to them as theirs is to me. We like what we like.

And, of course, I'll be right there when the new one launches hoping I get the feeling of satisfaction that comes from a good story with good villains, character development, conflict, heroes, and depth. Plus some shooty shooty bang bang and laser swords.

A similar situation happened to me.  I was excited to watch the film after seeing the trailer.  During the first quarter of the film, I was like, "When is this going to get interesting?"  I mean, it was nice to look at, but the plot dull.  Then, the part with Kylo and Rey talking to each other happened, and I said, "Alright, this is getting interesting."  Hated the Canto Bight crap.  Then, during the throne room fight scene and when Kylo asked Rey to join him, I thought it was getting good, again.  Only to have the movie start getting dumb, again, afterwards. 

My buddy was going later that day to watch it.  I actually told him it was ok, but had some humor that fails to land.  Then, I got to thinking about the film more and more, and the ok dropped to a this movie wasn't really good.  I asked my buddy what he thought when he came over to my house later, and he said he didn't like it and that it was kinda boring.  We spent an hour or two talking about it.  What parts were awful.  What should have been done to fix it.  And after that talk, I realized something.  Other than it being a good looking film, there really was nothing that redeemed it.  There was no part that I can point to and say I really liked.  There was some ideas, that if handled right, I would have liked, but nothing within the film.  I didn't like the film, at all.

Watching those vids is very entertaining.  There are also a ton of things that I missed, or didn't really think about, that made me dislike the film even more.  It didn't help that Disney was fine with Rian and crew going around and trashing anybody with legit criticisms as women hating man babies.

I guess where we really differ is that I'm just done with the franchise going forward.  I'm not giving them anymore of my money.  The De-Specialized Versions of the OG trilogy are all I need.

Around the Network

Rey is awesome.

Just watched the trailer from the OP a few minutes ago.  Looks really cool!  Overall I am happier with this trilogy than the prequels.  Although this trilogy doesn't compare to the originals from the 70's/80's.  Then again what does?

Anyway, I'm definitely seeing this on opening weekend.  Can't wait.

Not going to watch it. TLJ killed this new trilogy for me. I wish it was just a bad poorly written movie but it was much more than that. It messed with the lore and killed everything ep7 built. On top of it all it was a huge loss of opportunity for a nice closure to Leia after carrie died. Destroyed luke. That movie was actually anti star wars. And of course a lot of it was just to fulfill a political agenda. It wasnt entertaining, it was enfuriating at some point.
I believe who left the screening of empire strikes back was eager to know what was going to happen. It was such an amazing cliffhanger. The end of TLJ was so cringeworthy that I just wanted it to end and erase it from my memory.
Its nice that some people enjoyed it though.

Chrkeller said:
Rey is awesome.

Weak character IMO. Her motivation seems so disjointed from the film's plot.