By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you dont play splitscreen gtfo, Whats your take on watching multiple subscreens

Is watching other parts of the splitscreen cheating?

Hell yeah, fucking cheat 11 55.00%

No, get good scrubs 9 45.00%

Other, i explain my point in a reply 0 0%

Total:20

I always just assumed the people I was playing with were looking at my screen, so naturally, I looked at theirs. It's been so long since I've played split screen competitively. I can't even remember exactly when. Perfect Dark I think, so roughly 2 decades ago.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
tsogud said:

Kind of off topic but this reminds me, there's a game specifically meant for you to screen cheat. It's called Screen Cheat I know it's on Switch idk if it's on the other consoles, pretty fun tho. Y'all should check it out if you haven't.

The first thing that came to mind as I read the topic. Here is a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxVOWW1ZHYs

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

CuCabeludo said:
Slitscreen sucks.
Sarkar said:

That too. The only games I actually want to play with someone next to me on a couch are the fighting games, because the game design there supports couch multiplayer. If it's being shoehorned in with splitscreen and that too in a way that a player looking at the other player's half undermines the experience then it's shit and should be removed. 

Maybe.

The best time I ever had in a video game though was playing Mario Kart 64 split screen 4 players on a 20 inch CRT tv.

S.Peelman said:
CuCabeludo said:
Slitscreen sucks.
Sarkar said:

That too. The only games I actually want to play with someone next to me on a couch are the fighting games, because the game design there supports couch multiplayer. If it's being shoehorned in with splitscreen and that too in a way that a player looking at the other player's half undermines the experience then it's shit and should be removed. 

Maybe.

The best time I ever had in a video game though was playing Mario Kart 64 split screen 4 players on a 20 inch CRT tv.

I know a guy who had the best time eating dirt, it’s not really any argument though.

Nah, it only makes the game more fun since the other person can't go camp somewhere. What's next, listening to the sounds of the other player is cheating? Duke Nukem 3D had very iconic sound effects when entering certain areas so you could have where someone else was in lan match.

When playing splitscreen the map is usually to big to randomly walk into each other. Without being able to see where the other is the match would be pretty boring.

Around the Network

Couch multiplayer = best multiplayer

It's usually cheating, but since it's so easy to do, it's easy to do even half-accidentally. As a result, it's not necessarily a great idea to design splitscreen multiplayer in a way where watching the other parts of the screen actually is cheating. In practice, that probably eliminates most cases of competitive multiplayer.

As someone who started with Goldeneye and continued with classic 4p splitscreens like mario kart, halo, call of duty 2 and mw2
I can say with passion that watching all the screens is also making you a better player, as it increases your situational awareness, info gathering, multitasking and timing

Edit seeing as its an even playing field

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Sarkar said:
S.Peelman said:

Maybe.

I know a guy who had the best time eating dirt, it’s not really any argument though.

And neither is yours.

S.Peelman said:
Sarkar said:

And neither is yours.

How so? I said a game which is compromised by me looking at the TV while playing it is badly designed. Sounds like a very valid argument to me, care to elaborate what you find wrong with it?