By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New official info on PS5, launching next holiday

Radek said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
I just hope Dump and his stupid ass tarriffs don't affect this somehow. Impeach now!!

Trump 2020, don't let the hate cloud your judgement.

Interesting seeing as how the lionshare of the hate comes FROM Trump. I digress though, not going to steer this off topic. 

Around the Network

Only allowed partial installs, perhaps you don't even get 1TB.

The launch period is in line with overall expectations. I wonder what remake Bluepoint is working on.

Intrinsic said:
Jpcc86 said:

Oh yeah, I meant $600 not $500. My bad. 

The "rival" tho was X360, which priced at 400. Bolded  its not true and all the same its irrelevant if - exclusive games - come out at launch, because those are the games that make the difference. 

Nope... wrong again. Xbox 360 arcade had a starting price of $299. 

As for exclusives, its not like both companies will have 4/5 AAA exclusive games available at launch. At best they come in the launch "window" so the first 12 months after launch. Bottom line was that the 360 had a better and more fleshed out library of games by the time the PS3 released. The 360 was also the lead platform for third party games. It took years for sony's first party machine to really come into its own as it is the case with every generation and every platform. And that's likely going to be the case this time around too.

For nex gen next year, MS will have Halo and a Forza Game as the games spearheading their next-gen push. Sony will have GoT, Maybe some iteration of GT and God knows what else. Both will have a slew of 3rd party multiplatform games and a lot of BC enhanced re-releases. A lot of what will be coming in 2020will be cross-platform (supporting current and next-gen consoles) and a few games (probably indies) will be next-gen exclusives.

Wrong. The Xbox 360 Arcade came out almost an entire year after the Ps3 had already released. 

As for the rest, yes, more to my point - Which in case your forgot - Is that the ps3 was overpriced and had no exclusives/lineup to speak of at launch. 2 things I hope the PS5 avoids. 

The one thing i ABSOLUTELY want for the PS5 is for complete backwards compatibility, and what i mean by this is that aside from being able to play my physical games (like the PS2 and early versions of the PS3 could) it can also grant me access to my digital games on the PS store so i can download them and play them on my PS5, i really want this because over 60% of my library of games is now digital).

And yes i know that BC has already been anounced for the PS5 months ago if im not wrong, but im not sure if it includes digital games as well.

Around the Network

I like this timeframe. I doubt Nintendo will release a revision next year, so Sony could totally annihilate at the launch. Yet being 3.5 years (I think?) After Switch launch they aren't really hurting their competition. I think if Microsoft/Sony release their devices three years or so after Nintendo's hybrid device that would be the healthiest timing for the industry in terms of hardware sales. If they had released the ps5 earlier it would have hurt Switch sales and if they released it in 2021 or 2022 they would be too close to Switch 2 launch, which would have hurt Ps5 sales. Holiday 2020 is perfect for the industry as a whole, smart thinking Sony! Let's see what Microsoft does.

Interesting they announced it out of the blue. I've heard others mention it's odd they did this right after the State of Play.

All that said, it's moot until there are games to show. Once we see those we can get a better idea on what the PS5 is and how well it will do.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

taus90 said:
Intrinsic said:

You can check that box too. Kinda goes hand in hand with USB C.

well there are phones and power banks that have Usb C and still dont support quick charge, and of course its SONY.. but i m hopeful as its so common and cheap that it will be stupidity to leave it out 

Well PS4 and it's SATA II and 5400RPM HDD weren't exactly bleeding edge in 2013, so. Even Pro and it's SATA III came with a 5400RPM drive.

Random_Matt said:

While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 08 October 2019

Random_Matt said:

Yup... thats not twisting the facts at all.

EricHiggin said:

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

And thats how misinformation spreads. Don't listen to him.

They aren't "only allowing partial installs"... Partial installs is an optional feature. So you don't have to wait for your whole game to install before you start playing it or even better so you don't have to keep components of a game you aren't playing anymore on your SSD. Its just more granular management. And its good considering a game will take up like 50-100GB. 

And not a chance in hell that a 500GB SKU is an option. Especially when you consider that in 2020 a 1TB SSD will cost them about as much as they paid for a 500GB HDD in 2013.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 08 October 2019

BraLoD said:
Wait... it's called Playstation 5??!?
:-O

They also said they are finally making your game.