By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New official info on PS5, launching next holiday

Jpcc86 said:
Intrinsic said:

Nope... wrong again. Xbox 360 arcade had a starting price of $299. 

As for exclusives, its not like both companies will have 4/5 AAA exclusive games available at launch. At best they come in the launch "window" so the first 12 months after launch. Bottom line was that the 360 had a better and more fleshed out library of games by the time the PS3 released. The 360 was also the lead platform for third party games. It took years for sony's first party machine to really come into its own as it is the case with every generation and every platform. And that's likely going to be the case this time around too.

For nex gen next year, MS will have Halo and a Forza Game as the games spearheading their next-gen push. Sony will have GoT, Maybe some iteration of GT and God knows what else. Both will have a slew of 3rd party multiplatform games and a lot of BC enhanced re-releases. A lot of what will be coming in 2020will be cross-platform (supporting current and next-gen consoles) and a few games (probably indies) will be next-gen exclusives.

Wrong. The Xbox 360 Arcade came out almost an entire year after the Ps3 had already released. 

As for the rest, yes, more to my point - Which in case your forgot - Is that the ps3 was overpriced and had no exclusives/lineup to speak of at launch. 2 things I hope the PS5 avoids. 

It wasn't so much that the PS3 was overpriced.  I mean really it couldn't be when Sony was losing ~$300 per console sold.  If the PS3 was actually able to show off that it had superior HW from the beginning of the gen, no one would have complained.  However, the 360 had a year head start to build up an install base and library, plus a $200 cheaper entry price ($299 vs $499), while still getting better multiplats during the first year or two.  And Sony's exclusives didn't really start to show off what the PS3 could do until a year after launch with Uncharted.  Even after devs got the hang of the PS3, the multiplats were mostly the same.  Nothing like the XBO vs PS4 situation at the beginning of this gen. 

In the end, MS was wise to make sure that the entry price remained $120+ apart for the first 4 years of the gen.  And for 3 of those 4 years, including the year before the PS3 dropped to $299, the difference was $200.  It was just too big of a difference, especially when the HW wasn't showing that extra power, to ignore.

Now, we come to the PS5.  I don't see them pricing it higher than $499.  However, I also think the lowest they would go is $449.  Sony is willing to lose money on each console sold, but they don't want another PS3 situation.  And considering all of the improvements in the console and controller HW, I'd say it is definitely worth that price.  And considering that MS is most likely not going to want to lose a bunch of money on HW, especially when they are starting to focus on streaming, I think the lowest they will go is $499, the same price the XBO and XBO X launched for.  And considering they are going to be almost identical HW-wise, with some saying the PS5 has a slight edge, this won't be anything like the PS3 launch.

@ OP

Definitely getting excited for an early 2020 reveal.  Loving the sound of the rumble improvements.  Hopefully, it is something that devs will actually use on the PS5, since it seems to go overlooked on the Switch.  At least I haven't heard it put to use like they describe in the article.  The closest is making it feel like there are marbles in it in 1 2 Switch.  The adaptive pressure for the triggers is also interesting.  I just hope it is very sturdy and won't break, leaving just normal triggers.

It'll also be great to finally see what Blue Point is working on.  They said it's big and that millions will be looking forward to it.  I think that takes out Demon's Souls, as that didn't sell at least 2M.  Same goes for LoD, though they already dispelled that rumor.  If it's a Sony exclusive, the ones that pop into my mind are Syphon Filter, Ape Escape, Infamous, Resistance, or Twisted Metal.  Maybe more like a trilogy remake, instead of just one game.  Though, they also said it was more a reimagining.  To me that screams a really early series that needs to see updates in not only the visuals, but how it plays, as well.  In that case, I think the more likely candidates are Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, and to a lesser extant, Ape Escape.

Personally, I would love to see some remakes of Sony's lesser known titles.  Ones that I remember loving to play but didn't get a lot of fanfare.  Games like, Drakan, Kingsley's Adventure, and, a little more than the other two, Ghosthunter.

Around the Network

Needs more ray tracing ...

EricHiggin said:
taus90 said:

well there are phones and power banks that have Usb C and still dont support quick charge, and of course its SONY.. but i m hopeful as its so common and cheap that it will be stupidity to leave it out 

Well PS4 and it's SATA II and 5400RPM HDD weren't exactly bleeding edge in 2013, so. Even Pro and it's SATA III came with a 5400RPM drive.

Random_Matt said:
Only allowed partial installs, perhaps you don't even get 1TB.

While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

Technically, you could do it on PS4.  It would ask you which part of the game you wished to install first when you were downloading a game.  In theory, you could stop the download after it installed either part.  Though, maybe this is going to work on disc games, too.

It just dawned on me that Cerny's talk about SSD storage advantages over HDD for full games and designing game files for said storage implies that the PS5's storage should be fully solid state (as opposed to a hybrid setup that would still use slow HDD's). Good to hear.

EricHiggin said:
taus90 said:

well there are phones and power banks that have Usb C and still dont support quick charge, and of course its SONY.. but i m hopeful as its so common and cheap that it will be stupidity to leave it out 

Well PS4 and it's SATA II and 5400RPM HDD weren't exactly bleeding edge in 2013, so. Even Pro and it's SATA III came with a 5400RPM drive.

Random_Matt said:
Only allowed partial installs, perhaps you don't even get 1TB.

While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

You just reminded me of the Vita memory prices, Sony cannot possibly go there again.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

And not a chance in hell that a 500GB SKU is an option. Especially when you consider that in 2020 a 1TB SSD will cost them about as much as they paid for a 500GB HDD in 2013.

The 500G hd was/is about $22-$24. I highly doubt you'll ever get a (superfast) 500G SSD for that price, ever. With all this "save space" talk from Cerny, I still think there could be a "run of the mill" (as big as you want) hd sitting behind a relatively small (superfast) SSD (128-256GB). You would then selectively install your game key files from the hdd onto the SSD (probably no more than 2-4 games at the same time). That sounds the most economical, the SoC is already expensive enough...

drkohler said:
Intrinsic said:

And not a chance in hell that a 500GB SKU is an option. Especially when you consider that in 2020 a 1TB SSD will cost them about as much as they paid for a 500GB HDD in 2013.

The 500G hd was/is about $22-$24. I highly doubt you'll ever get a (superfast) 500G SSD for that price, ever. With all this "save space" talk from Cerny, I still think there could be a "run of the mill" (as big as you want) hd sitting behind a relatively small (superfast) SSD (128-256GB). You would then selectively install your game key files from the hdd onto the SSD (probably no more than 2-4 games at the same time). That sounds the most economical, the SoC is already expensive enough...

Did you miss this in the article? "like the PS5, it will ditch the spinning hard drive for a solid-state drive." There is no ANCIENT drive in the next-gen console.

"Right now I believe PS5 will launch Spring 2020 at 399$ with 3,2ghz zen 2 cpu that has 8 core and 16 threads, Navi at 9TF likely vega 56 performance, 12 GB Gddr6 Ram on a 192-bit bus and 1TB NVMe SSD drive." - Trumpstyle on 27 January 2019

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8961611

I called the NVMe drive already in Jan this year we now in November and u still stuck on ancient spinning disc. HDD + SSD combo DOESN'T WORK. I gave up on it a long time ago, I don't know where Vivster and pemalite are now they also been stuck on HDD + SSD combo for long time despite the combo doesn't work.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

"One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.

Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation."

Wow.... this part is the real news imo.
Hope developers make good usage of this tech.

Looking very much forward to the new DS5. Can't get worse than the DS4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

drkohler said:

The 500G hd was/is about $22-$24. I highly doubt you'll ever get a (superfast) 500G SSD for that price, ever.

That's incredibly short-sighted. Less than 20 years ago you could be paying $200 for a 120gb HDD. Prices of technology comes down, sizes of storage increase. SSD's will halve in cost again over the next few years, just as they did over the previous few years.