By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think should be done about climate change?

JRPGfan said:

Im talking about apples, and your mentioning oranges.

Takeing steps to limit polution doesnt mean going back to a "dark age" without industry or technology.
Please dont quote me anymore (with this topic), your clearly trolling in this thread, so lets just nip this in the bud.

Nearly all of them involve cutting down on production/consumption in some way so exactly what 'steps' are you talking about here ? 

Answer this very carefully ... 

Around the Network

Renewable energy sources that don't produce pollution.

Video games are a luxury and use up resources unnecessary. The time and money wasted on gaming can be better used. Instead of buying the latest game, buy some trees and plant them.
Each value of a game, buys 5 dought tolerant gum trees.

I stopped wasting resources on gaming,
hell, I dont even watch tv anymore. People are disgusting, that they waste resources on stuff that isnt needed.
It pisses me off that over privileged people are playing silly little games that are NOT needed and is just self indulgence.

Jicale said:
Video games are a luxury and use up resources unnecessary. The time and money wasted on gaming can be better used. Instead of buying the latest game, buy some trees and plant them.
Each value of a game, buys 5 dought tolerant gum trees.

I stopped wasting resources on gaming,
hell, I dont even watch tv anymore. People are disgusting, that they waste resources on stuff that isnt needed.
It pisses me off that over privileged people are playing silly little games that are NOT needed and is just self indulgence.

i'm not sure if you are serious,it could be  sarcasm or being oblivious of yourself.

Over privileged for playing games ? Almost everyone in modern society has access to them.

the-pi-guy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Right, because every scientific theory has come true. I think the planet was supposed to be flooded years ago. Hence, when the "science" is looking like propaganda don't be surprised when people stop listening.

Its also annoying to see the media blaming every natural disaster on climate change regardless of history. Politicians keep saying the planet is gonna be flooded in 10 years or so, some think we should treat this like WWIII. Climate change also being racist is kinda hilarious. That's why people roll their eyes when the word "science" is used.

>think the planet was supposed to be flooded years ago

>Politicians keep saying the planet is gonna be flooded in 10 years or so, 

Nope.  While some ludicrous predictions have been made, there is conflation between "this is when we should do something" and "this is when something will happen". 

>when the "science" is looking like propaganda 

It is a science, no quotes necessary.

>Climate change also being racist is kinda hilarious

Climate Change isn't "racist".  It is simply an issue that will affect some parts of Africa the most.  

Science is supposed to be facts. When science keeps looking like bogus theories, people feel confused and misled. Rightfully so.

Im not saying we should dismiss climate change, its just the media and politicians turning people into skeptics with junk science and lies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

This thread is great, discussing what we can do to save the world on a video game forum frequented by less than 1k people and I can't say for sure but I don't think anyone here is heavily involved in politics? (political threads not including) I'm just saying it's nice to spit ball ideas, but maybe copy paste those ideas into an email to your local elected political leaders or keep them in mind the next time someone calls to you asking for a vote. At the end of the day the players who can make the changes required to stop this aren't the average joe who eats a burger and drives a car, it's companies/countries who produce enough waste to cover a country in it.

I'm going to focus on taking plastics from water and landfill rubbish, and burning them using oil and gasoline, just so I can say I done my part in climate change. I wouldn't like to go out of this world without leaving my carbon footprint here for future generations.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SpokenTruth said:

How did I miss this thread for this long? 

OK, before I actually address the thread question, I have a question for all the skeptics out there. 

Do you honestly believe all the climatologists, meteorologists, biologists, zoologists, chemists, geologists, physicists, glaciologists, atmospheric dynamacists, oceanographers, paleontologists, ecologists, biochemists, mathematicians, etc...from nearly 200 countries (some at war with each other) around the world that study and confer agreement based on their own independent, respective fields are all in on some grand hoax with the intent to deceive you?

The discussion nowadays is not so much about whether you 'believe' in climate change or not, it's whether you care enough to actually do something about it or not even think about it at all.

He, I race virtual cars instead of real cars, that's got to count for something!

Why will higher sea levels (for instance 6-8m) cause less farm food to be available? I'm not aware of very much farm land that is only 6-8m above sea level.

I guess it will cause people to move inland, which could in effect lead to farm land being sold to develop new properties for these cities.

I think the farming issue has more to just do with what these increased temps (and the relevant changes in weather) will do to crops vs what higher sea levels will directly do.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Mr Puggsly said:
the-pi-guy said:

Science is supposed to be facts. When science keeps looking like bogus theories, people feel confused and misled. Rightfully so.

Im not saying we should dismiss climate change, its just the media and politicians turning people into skeptics with junk science and lies.

Science is not just reporting facts, it is also about the interpretation and contextualization of those facts. This is why every scientific article comes with both a results section (the facts) and a discussion section (the interpretation). While that can lead to confusion when media or politicians report those interpretations as the facts themselves, it's an important part of the scientific endeavor and I respect the interpretations of those who dedicate their lives to the field much more than the average person's interpretation. 

To me, someone taking a graph of ice sheet area and saying "I don't see a trend" without any experience in the field is akin to anti-vaxxers looking at the ingredients to vaccines and yelling about the inclusion of ingredients that just sound scary without understanding their inclusion. I understand being skeptical but if the bulk of the experts in a field have come to one conclusion it's incredibly vain to think you can interpret the data better yourself with zero training. 

I believe the one who believe in it should stop using electricity, driving cars of anykind, live in a stone age like environment far awway from civilization and leave the QoL to the unbrainwashed.

80s we are gonna freeze
90s were are going to burn
2000 were all going to die, no snow by 2010
2010 still lots of snow, global warming isnt winning anyone but the already crazys, lets call it climate change and no one can argue since its been happening for billions of years.
2020 still coastal cities, still life in oceans, still have snow, and just have to keep repeating the lies until everyone agrees or gets jailed into a chinese style concentraition camp.