7 7 8.43%

6 7 8.43%

5 0 0%

4 1 1.20%

3 or below 1 1.20%

haven't watched it 15 18.07%

won't watch it 1 1.20%

Total:83

Click on the "Rich Text Reply" option or just simply Edit your post and you'll see two eyeballs on the tab above the text box. Click on the one with the line across it to put a spoiler box and then just type your spoiler in the box.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

Click on the "Rich Text Reply" option or just simply Edit your post and you'll see two eyeballs on the tab above the text box. Click on the one with the line across it to put a spoiler box and then just type your spoiler in the box.

I found it, the new forum editor confused me. :)

Hmm, pie.

Saw it a few hours ago and it's a solid movie. I didn't think it was that great but there were a lot of great shot and the storytelling was great too. I give it a 7.

Phoenix's performance is the only significant point of praise for me, elevating the film above just middling. It's too bad such a great performance was largely squandered on bland material.
Killing Joke's (possible) origin for Joker was so much more interesting, taking a humdrum little man and unleashing a series of tragedies upon him in a short span of time. This film makes Fleck a constant source of abuse from virtually all aspects of society, even giving him a handicapped mental state to begin with.

De Niro continues to phone it in, even in what everybody knew would be a big movie. It's difficult to distinguish between his performances in cinema and something like Saturday Night Live, which is just so sad a thing considering he's given cinema some of its all-time best performances.

Spoiler!

The Sophie twist was predictable. When I saw the first trailer, I assumed she would be revealed as imaginary, which was damn close to the film's revelation.

Having Thomas Wayne possibly be Arthur's father is just silly, as well as pushing a meeting between Arthur and a young Bruce Wayne.

Will people be as annoyed about Joker (this time, inadvertently) getting the Waynes killed in this as they were about Napier murdering them in Burton's film? It was so unnecessary, and a ridiculously forced tie-in to the larger Batman mythos.

I keep reading praise from people who claim that this is some kind of 'deep psychological study of a disturbed man' or some such. But it's really not. Joker is one of the most evil and enigmatic fictional characters. What this film does is give him an extremely boring backstory:
Poor man is victimized by society until he decides to fight back, only he takes it too far. That sounds like the delusions of most spree killers, which are really not that interesting at all.

Hopefully Phoenix maintains recognition for seemingly giving his all when most simply cash in on brand name properties. But I have a hard time imagining people dissecting this movie for years to come as they would if it were as good as the hype.

I enjoy good acting and since this is centered around an amazing actor i would love to see it.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
I enjoy good acting and since this is centered around an amazing actor i would love to see it.

Hopefully you've been able to avoid spoilers and you're okay with a slower pace. If so, I think you're in for a treat. Phoenix was acting his ass off! 

d21lewis said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Hopefully you've been able to avoid spoilers and you're okay with a slower pace. If so, I think you're in for a treat. Phoenix was acting his ass off! 

Yes i'm going in blind,i gladly risk my money to be suprised on this one and films with a slower pace draw more attention to the finer little details and that change of pace and focus is always interesting for me personally.

d21lewis said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Honestly didn't feel that slow. The 2 hours went by pretty quick.

jason1637 said:
d21lewis said:

Honestly didn't feel that slow. The 2 hours went by pretty quick.

For me as well. But some people (including a ton of my real life friends) need explosions, special effects, and witty rapid fire "Uncharted banter" to enjoy a movie. I enjoyed the performances and the character development. I assume most people can jump between styles but with Joker being a "comic book movie" people have certain expectations and this movie may not deliver on that for them.

It's so dark, and so real. Very uncomfortable in some places. But that just makes it feel that much more real. I really enjoyed it.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.