By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is there a reason why people are still complaining about Nintendo supposedly "Not making new IPs"?

Polyludic said:
I think part of the criticism is not just the no new IP, but also new new game concepts. Does it matter if it is a character from a past game in a new environment? Like Nintendo could do a Wario business game. If Nintendo has a character that can fit a new game concept, why not use the older character?

Wait, you're telling me ARMS isn't a new game concept? What about Labo? Astral Chain? Ring Fit Adventure?

Around the Network

Not seen anyone mention that for awhile now.

I think people mean "good new IPs". And since Nintendo's being held to a way higher standard "good" means Super Mario and Zelda. So when did Nintendo create their last IP that's as good as Mario or Zelda?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I think people mean "good new IPs". And since Nintendo's being held to a way higher standard "good" means Super Mario and Zelda. So when did Nintendo create their last IP that's as good as Mario or Zelda?

And just give more attention to existing IP's .

vivster said:

I personally think the Pikmin franchise is every bit as good as Zelda/Mario.  Splatoon is very popular and is a great series as well.  

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
vivster said:

I personally think the Pikmin franchise is every bit as good as Zelda/Mario.  Splatoon is very popular and is a great series as well.  

I'd say Splatoon is definitely the best new IP that's not the two main ones. Though it's just too narrow of a genre to have mainstream appeal. What I could see is a massive expansion of the Splatoon universe into way more games and other genres. I quite like the whole Splatoon aesthetic and the world but I'll be damned before I play a shooter on a console without keyboard and mouse. A platformer, action adventure or even RPG would be neat.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Chrkeller said:

I'd say Splatoon is definitely the best new IP that's not the two main ones. Though it's just too narrow of a genre to have mainstream appeal. What I could see is a massive expansion of the Splatoon universe into way more games and other genres. I quite like the whole Splatoon aesthetic and the world but I'll be damned before I play a shooter on a console without keyboard and mouse. A platformer, action adventure or even RPG would be neat.

Uh, not mainstream enough?  Splatoon 2 has outsold every 3D Zelda release prior to BotW and every 3D Mario release prior to Odyssey and is still going.  I would call that pretty darn mainstream.  Arms is their niche creation.

I feel like Nintendo reinvents itself in many different ways each gen,not only for its hardware but also software.
A franchise like Zelda almost get reinvented for every gen and same can be said for Mario,i do not really want new IPs from them as they have plenty of old IP's to bring back in an unique way.

Astral Chain is a Nintendo franchise now, good job, fans

Nuvendil said:
vivster said:

Uh, not mainstream enough?  Splatoon 2 has outsold every 3D Zelda release prior to BotW and every 3D Mario release prior to Odyssey and is still going.  I would call that pretty darn mainstream.  Arms is their niche creation.

People say ARMS didn't sell that great, but 2.1 million units isn't bad at all for a new IP, especially for this type of fighting game.

Especially if you consider games like Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 selling 3.7 million and over 4 million, respectively.

While not a runaway success like Splatoon, I think the Mario Kart team (led by Yabuki, who directed the game) can hang their hat on a putting out a decently successful game outside of their usual Mario Kart installments.