By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is there a reason why people are still complaining about Nintendo supposedly "Not making new IPs"?

Wyrdness said:
couchmonkey said:
We are not asking for new “IP” we are asking for new worlds. Can you remember stepping into the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time? Can you remember infiltrating your first alien planet in Metroid? Can you remember taking down a bogey on slippy’s tail? Can you remember Olimar reviewing his discoveries, marooned on a world of strange giants.

By this standard, we must banish Labo and 1-2 Switch from the conversation. ARMS, Sushi Striker(?), Astral Chain...not bad I guess, but I am having trouble seeing a big standout among those games. Maybe the problem is the rest of Nintendo’s output overshadows the new stuff now...

Astral Chain is one of the best Arpgs released how is that not stand out? Often when I see people complain about new IPs often it's them complaining not about new IPs but about games that don't appeal to them.

Ah,you have got me.  I am trying to figure out why I have little interest in Astral Chain, but I don’t know what it is.  It is the most exciting of the three at face value.

Around the Network

Because it’s true. Nintendo’s investment in new IPs is abysmal. To put into context how abysmal, even MS has more new IPs this gen than Nintendo.

Sarkar said:
Because it’s true. Nintendo’s investment in new IPs is abysmal. To put into context how abysmal, even MS has more new IPs this gen than Nintendo.

If we're including the Wii U, Switch and 3DS, let's look at a sample of the non-franchise new IP that Nintendo introduced.

* Sing Party

* The Wonderful 101

* Splatoon

* Devil's Third

* Steel Diver

* Pushmo

* Codename STEAM

* Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

* FreakyForms

* Dillon's Rolling Western

* Box Boy

* Tank Troopers

* Ever Oasis

* 1-2 Switch

* ARMS

* Nintendo Labo

* Astral Chain

* Sushi Striker

* Ring Fit Adventure

* Snipperclips

And a few other smaller titles as well. Still, that's like, 20 games. And on the Switch, that's 7 in less than 3 years. If you're going to call that abysmal, I don't know what else to say.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Sarkar said:

If we're including the Wii U, Switch and 3DS, let's look at a sample of the non-franchise new IP that Nintendo introduced.

* Sing Party

* The Wonderful 101

* Splatoon

* Devil's Third

* Steel Diver

* Pushmo

* Codename STEAM

* FreakyForms

* Box Boy

* Tank Troopers

* Ever Oasis

* 1-2 Switch

* ARMS

* Nintendo Labo

* Astral Chain

* Sushi Striker

* Ring Fit Adventure

* Snipperclips

And a few other smaller titles as well. Still, that's like, 20 games. And on the Switch, that's 7 in less than 3 years. If you're going to call that abysmal, I don't know what else to say.

Why would we be looking at 3DS? The fact that you’re trying to compare Nintendo new IPs across 3 platforms to MS’ one and worst console truly highlights how abysmal Nintendo has been.

Sarkar said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

* Sing Party

* The Wonderful 101

* Splatoon

* Devil's Third

* Steel Diver

* Pushmo

* Codename STEAM

* FreakyForms

* Box Boy

* Tank Troopers

* Ever Oasis

* 1-2 Switch

* ARMS

* Nintendo Labo

* Astral Chain

* Sushi Striker

* Ring Fit Adventure

* Snipperclips

Why would we be looking at 3DS? The fact that you’re trying to compare Nintendo new IPs across 3 platforms to MS’ one and worst console truly highlights how abysmal Nintendo has been.

You said, "This generation", well the Wii U and 3DS are part of "This generation". It doesn't matter where the games end up, they're Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms. That's the argument. You can change goal posts all you want, but in the end, that's not the point.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Sarkar said:

You said, "This generation", well the Wii U and 3DS are part of "This generation". It doesn't matter where the games end up, they're Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms. That's the argument. You can change goal posts all you want, but in the end, that's not the point.

This generation for consoles started in 2013, we can throw in Wii U I guess cause Nintendo sure does need the handicap. As for 3DS that’s been around 3 extra years compared to current gen consoles, because handheld generations have been staggered with the console generations. It’s also a separate market that requires a tiny fraction of the cost to make games for so not really a fair comparison. In reality one new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn or Quantum Break is a bigger investment than pretty much all new IPs Nintendo has made this gen. That’s why they get criticized for it because they make a ton on money selling overpriced games and refuse to invest any of it back into new IP which this industry is in dire need of in the AAA space. 
Their fans are more concerned with bragging about how much cash Nintendo got in the bank than what’s being put into making games and keep lapping up low effort low budget titles for ridiculous prices.

Sarkar said:

This generation for consoles started in 2013, we can throw in Wii U I guess cause Nintendo sure does need the handicap. As for 3DS that’s been around 3 extra years compared to current gen consoles, because handheld generations have been staggered with the console generations. It’s also a separate market that requires a tiny fraction of the cost to make games for so not really a fair comparison.

Don't try and do a song and dance to justify your point. The 3DS a gaming platform, that lived through most of this generation. Handheld or no, it's part of the 8th generation of gaming systems.

In reality one new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn or Quantum Break is a bigger investment than pretty much all new IPs Nintendo has made this gen. That’s why they get criticized for it because they make a ton on money selling overpriced games and refuse to invest any of it back into new IP which this industry is in dire need of in the AAA space. 

Who gives a fuck about spending AAA money on a new IP? Nintendo barely makes traditional AAA games as it stands. BotW is the most expensive game they've made yet, and I'm willing to bet it's still lower budget than the latest Assassin's Creed game. Nintendo's not interested in competing in the AAA dick measuring contest, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's nice to have a publisher who's willing to take in Low-Meduim Budget ideas vs other companies their size. And what about that list I gave you. They're not refusing to invest in new IP. Even discounting the Wii U and 3DS, we have 7 introduced on the Switch alone.

Their fans are more concerned with bragging about how much cash Nintendo got in the bank than what’s being put into making games and keep lapping up low effort low budget titles for ridiculous prices.

"Low effort, low budget titles" LOL Sure. In any case, I don't feel a game's budget should dictate its asking price. I feel like the entertainment value and content should decide that.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Sarkar said:

This generation for consoles started in 2013, we can throw in Wii U I guess cause Nintendo sure does need the handicap. As for 3DS that’s been around 3 extra years compared to current gen consoles, because handheld generations have been staggered with the console generations. It’s also a separate market that requires a tiny fraction of the cost to make games for so not really a fair comparison.

Don't try and do a song and dance to justify your point. The 3DS a gaming platform, that lived through most of this generation. Handheld or no, it's part of the 8th generation of gaming systems.

In reality one new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn or Quantum Break is a bigger investment than pretty much all new IPs Nintendo has made this gen. That’s why they get criticized for it because they make a ton on money selling overpriced games and refuse to invest any of it back into new IP which this industry is in dire need of in the AAA space. 

Who gives a fuck about spending AAA money on a new IP? Nintendo barely makes traditional AAA games as it stands. BotW is the most expensive game they've made yet, and I'm willing to bet it's still lower budget than the latest Assassin's Creed game. Nintendo's not interested in competing in the AAA dick measuring contest, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's nice to have a publisher who's willing to take in Low-Meduim Budget ideas vs other companies their size. And what about that list I gave you. They're not refusing to invest in new IP. Even discounting the Wii U and 3DS, we have 7 introduced on the Switch alone.

"Low effort, low budget titles" LOL Sure. In any case, I don't feel a game's budget should dictate its asking price. I feel like the entertainment value and content should decide that.

I’m just answering the question posed in the topic, which was why people give Nintendo shit regarding this particular subject. I gave the reasons as to why this is the case. People want big publishers with big money to spend that money making games. Nintendo isn’t doing it and therefore get shit.

Sarkar said:

People want big publishers with big money to spend that money making games. Nintendo isn’t doing it and therefore get shit.

Except they are spending money to make games. The difference is that Nintendo goes for the "less is more" approach. Focus on ideas, and give them moderate budgets to release more games, with exceptions of course. Sony and Microsoft take the "Bigger is better" approach, publishing less games, but putting a ton of money behind 3-4 games each year. Again, with exceptions. Neither practice is better or worse. The problem, is that you want Nintendo to try and be somebody they're not. Adopting the "Go big or go home" mentality that is the actual reason why there's a lack of new AAA IPs from third parties. Nintendo doesn't work like that. They focus on ideas, not budgets, only spending as much as needed on a game-by-game basis. If that means only a small budget, then that's fine. If it means a massive budget, that's fine too so long as it can break even. This approach has been working for them, so why change it?

SpokenTruth said:
Sarkar said:

I’m just answering the question posed in the topic, which was why people give Nintendo shit regarding this particular subject. I gave the reasons as to why this is the case. People want big publishers with big money to spend that money making games. Nintendo isn’t doing it and therefore get shit.

No, you want that.  Nintendo gamers want Nintendo games.  Budget is inconsequential to us.  Is the game good?  Yes?  Then who gives a damn what the budget was?

Yeah I already addressed the Nintendo guys. They care more about how much money Nintendo is hoarding in the bank than games. I’m talking normal gamers who care about games and not corporations.